Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-23, 07:59 AM  
Negin

Step with Risers/Weight Bench/Cathe STS 2.0

I posted this on the Cathe thread, but I don't want my question to get buried/lost.

According to the STS 2.0 equipment list, I will need either a step with risers or a weight bench. I think that I would prefer the former, since it's lighter and easier to move around in my room with limited space. I'm not sure what I should get, since the whole step thing is new to me. Thinking of this one.

Thank you.
Old 09-14-23, 01:42 PM  
T2B

The Step Co step is cheaper. You could stack the risers when not in use. That step looks kind of hard, too! The Step Co step, with 6 risers is $90, you definitely don't need 6 risers but I think it's a good deal.

ETA: I do like the look the step that you linked. The incline part looks like it could be spring loaded, I’d be concerned about it dropping in the middle of a lift, not sure. If you do get that one, let us know how you like it.

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-23, 01:43 PM  
warriorprincess

I have no experience with it, but I've been considering it myself. It looks like it would be fantastic for incline flyes and presses and such. I like the little storage area. I've had the Reebok step for a very long time. The surface is a little rougher than I'd like, but this one looks similar. The Step, which Cathe uses, looks to be smoother. I do think I'd love that incline on the Yes4all though.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-23, 02:16 PM  
prettyinpink

That’s neat. If it’s mainly to use as a weight bench, it might be more comfortable to add on a pad to lay on the top of it. Cathe sells some, but I’m sure there are others.

The only negative I see compared to a real bench is that most benches are 16-17”, and this is 14”. 14 is high enough for most women for hip thrusts and for using as a bench. It’s not very high to use for step-ups, unless you are a shorter person.
I also don’t know how sturdy or stable it would be, especially for a larger person with heavier weights, compared to a good bench. **Especially the pieces that let you angle the bench.

The negative compared to a step with risers would be that it looks less compact. Club step looks slimmer to put away, and risers stack.

But it looks interesting, and the additional angles are a plus.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-23, 03:15 PM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2B View Post
That step looks kind of hard, too!
You're right. I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. I guess I could put a towel or something on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
It looks like it would be fantastic for incline flyes and presses and such.
Nancy, yes, that's what I think I'll be using it the most for. Oh, and I have probably mentioned this before, but I love your dog. Your profile pic makes me smile every time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
it might be more comfortable to add on a pad to lay on the top of it. Cathe sells some, but I’m sure there are others.

The only negative I see compared to a real bench is that most benches are 16-17”, and this is 14”. 14 is high enough for most women for hip thrusts and for using as a bench. It’s not very high to use for step-ups, unless you are a shorter person.
I also don’t know how sturdy or stable it would be, especially for a larger person with heavier weights, compared to a good bench. **Especially the pieces that let you angle the bench.

The negative compared to a step with risers would be that it looks less compact. Club step looks slimmer to put away, and risers stack.

But it looks interesting, and the additional angles are a plus.
You raised some very good points. I am short (5' 2"), but I'm also heavy.
Old 09-14-23, 03:18 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I would recommend the freestyle club step if getting a full-size club step. The freestyle risers are the same as regular risers with the added bonus of being able to be used to put your step bench at an incline.

https://www.amazon.com/Step-Freestyl...dp/B00432U2LS/
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-23, 04:10 PM  
warriorprincess

I would never be able to sit on the club freestyle holding heavy dumbbells if it's as close to the floor as they're showing. It would kill my knees. That's another point in favor of the Yes4all compared to my Reebok. The highest mine goes is 10" and I prop the other end up on a Fanny Lifter. If I have it set up so that the lower end is less than 10", my knees are easily compromised.

Thanks Nevin, for the doggy compliment :-)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-23, 05:20 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Cathe uses 10 risers for these workouts, five on each side. You would need that many (or at least 4 on each side) to be comfortable, I would think. So you would need to keep that in mind.

I have two Step Co. steps. The original, which is green, and a red one they put out with a much softer top. I use it for weight training so I don't need to put a mat on top of it, but I didn't like it for step aerobics because my shoes got caught on it. So I use the original step for that.

For these workouts, Cathe uses five risers on one side and two on the other for incline work. She does have special risers for the step to fit into. I have those as well, but I've never had trouble using regular risers for that type of incline.
Old 09-14-23, 08:45 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I probably should have mentioned I have the original club step, a freestyle step, and a high step, so plenty of extra risers laying around to get the step to different heights. Somehow they've accumulated over time...
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-23, 06:43 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

That step looks interesting. My concern would be it moving around on the floor, since there's not much surface area flat on the floor. I see she has it pushed against a wall doing her bench press in the video.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe sts 2.0, freestyle step, risers, step, step co. step, weight bench