Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-23, 09:41 AM  
cyana

2023 Beauty Thread

I didn't see a new Beauty Thread, so here goes.

Would love some suggestions for mascara. I have some L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lash and used to be really happy with this product. I don't know if they've changed the formula or if I may have gotten an "off" tube, but it sure has been horribly clumpy. I don't wear make-up frequently, as I work from home (just moisturizer most days), so it isn't like I have remnants of the previous day's eye make-up or make-up remover gumming up the works. I also have some Maybelline Sky High - it's a little better (smaller brush), but I don't love it. I don't have long, gorgeous eyelashes, so I need all the help I can get.

Also, during The Era of the COVID when we were all at home for an extended period, I decided to let my hair grow out and now have silver hair with a little "pepper". I'm going to keep the natural color (after coloring my hair blonde/light brown for many years), as I like the silver. I was contemplating trying to find someone to do my make-up to adjust for the change in hair color and for facial changes related to getting older (the dreaded hooded eyelids!). Has anyone done this and how did you locate a person? I'm a stickler for make-up hygiene (not leaving the testers out for every human on the planet to play with, for example), so while I've had some good luck at places like Macy's in years past, I'm curious about other options. I don't get facials, so I don't know any estheticians and while I tend to use certain make-up lines, it's more because the color palettes tend to work better for my fair skin, not so much because I'm loyal to a single make up line.

Please feel share what's working for you in 2023 - or not working and any new finds.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-23, 11:00 AM  
Leonana

I was just going to recommend Maybelline Sky High, but I see you’ve tried it. I’ve found L’Oréal Lash Paradise to be really good.

I don’t know a lot about having your makeup done, except from watching you tube videos. I think the best choice would be a makeup artist in your area.
Old 01-06-23, 11:30 AM  
cyana

Thanks, Sherry. The Sky High isn't bad, but I can't seem to generate much length - maybe I've become defective at putting on mascara over the past several years due to lack of practice. Considering I'm in my 60's and have been wearing mascara since I was a teenager, that would be pretty tragic, LOL! I'll check into Lash Paradise, too.

I really haven't been in the department or beauty stores much since the pre-Covid days (I rarely need anything from the mall, so I'm not in the department stores like I was in years past), but they'd put the testers on the counter where they were more accessible to the customers and I personally thought that was a bad move.

I sometimes get a bit of an inferiority complex looking at the YT make-up videos, such as Hot and Flashy. Angie has this massive trove of eye shadows, for example, and I'm thinking to myself "She would laugh hysterically if she saw how few eye shadows I have!"

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-23, 11:36 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
Thanks, Sherry.

I sometimes get a bit of an inferiority complex looking at the YT make-up videos, such as Hot and Flashy. Angie has this massive trove of eye shadows, for example, and I'm thinking to myself "She would laugh hysterically if she saw how few eye shadows I have!"
All youtubers have a massive trove of makeup. My eyes glaze over watching Angie's skincare videos. I think she does a lot of good research and I enjoy her videos but her skincare routine involves around 30 products and gadgets. I don't have the time, energy, inclination or money for that much stuff. LOL.

I can't help you with mascara. I stopped wearing it awhile back because it irritates my sensitive eyes. I used to favor L'Oreal voluminous but the formula most likely has changed it seems.

Oh I envy you growing your hair color out. I would love to do that but I fear I'm not all gray and my roots seem very salt and peppery and I'm just not brave enough right now.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-23, 11:57 AM  
Gams

I’ve always liked Maybelline Great Lash, but my lashes have thinned since I’ve gotten older and my sister sent me some Benefit They’re Real! mascara for my birthday and I really like how it makes my lashes look fuller.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-23, 11:57 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

I haven't been wearing mascara much because it really irritates my chronic dry eyes but when I do wear it I like the Urban Decay Perversion. It seems to give some length/body to my stick straight short eyelashes.

I agree with everyone else on Hot 'N Flashy's videos. I really do like her and think she does great research but man she uses a LOT of products. Of course that is her every day job also. I just don't have enough ambition (or $$) to do that extensive of a skin care routine.

Also don't feel bad Cyana, I have NO eye shadows. I have such hooded eyes I figure what's the point
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-23, 12:57 PM  
kat999

A while back I got a Benefit mascara in an Ipsy bag and when it runs out I'll be sad. It's BADGal, and I like it because the brush is springy, so it seems like it applies a little more evenly than others I've tried.
Old 01-06-23, 01:51 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Cyana - Like you, I let my hair go grey after many years of colouring it blonde. It’s a very nice silver, no yellowing, that I inherited from my mother. I’m not much for wearing make up other than mascara, brow pencil, & lipstick when I go out. I got tired of doing my brows so I took the plunge and got them micro bladed. I love them!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-23, 02:30 PM  
BunnyHop

I don't have a mascara rec, I keep forgetting to wear mine on the few occasions it might be worth the effort. I have dry eyes, so tend not to wear mascara or eye shadow all the time.

I've avoided coloring my hair all these years and am really happy with the result. Guess I'm low maintenance, LOL!!

I recently discovered Dazzle Dry nail polishes and I love it! It's a whole system of quick drying polish. I'd worn literally just clear polish the last few years, and felt inspired to see what's up in the world of nail polish. I'm also impressed with Starrily's polishes, and CND Vinylux (which seems to have reformulated for the better in recent years.).

The main thing that's helped my nails, though, has been weekly warm oil soaks with jojoba oil.
Old 01-06-23, 02:44 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post

I was contemplating trying to find someone to do my make-up to adjust for the change in hair color and for facial changes related to getting older (the dreaded hooded eyelids!). Has anyone done this and how did you locate a person? I'm a stickler for make-up hygiene (not leaving the testers out for every human on the planet to play with, for example), so while I've had some good luck at places like Macy's in years past, I'm curious about other options. I don't get facials, so I don't know any estheticians and while I tend to use certain make-up lines, it's more because the color palettes tend to work better for my fair skin, not so much because I'm loyal to a single make up line.

Please feel share what's working for you in 2023 - or not working and any new finds.

Sharon Danley has a youtube channel, but she has gathered all of her resources on her facebook page. She hasn't been posting lately because she has had some heartbreaking losses, but she offers opportunities for feedback in addition to all her tutorials:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/goingray.lovinit
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2023, 2023 beauty, beauty, beauty products, beauty thread, beauty thread 2023, beauty tips, hair products, off topic, off-topic