Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-22, 08:42 AM  
Negin

Stability Ball

Do you have any favorites?
I'm looking for one that is hopefully easy to inflate. Some of the reviews on amazon have me concerned. I don't want to have to buy an air mattress compressor.
Old 10-15-22, 11:12 AM  
kat999

I still have an older Gaiam ball that's lasted me quite some time. It came with its own air pump that is just a handheld thing, smaller than a bike pump but similar idea. You shouldn't need the kind of compressor inflator like for an air mattress. Also, most stability balls are in some ways kind of just a big balloon, and in a pinch you can actually inflate it by just blowing into the opening.
Old 10-15-22, 11:18 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

I love my Duraball Pro!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-22, 11:26 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Sometimes they will inflate it for you at the store. Worst comes to worse, you can always go to a gas station and inflate it there, tho they charge you for it these days. Be sure and have some quarters.
Old 10-15-22, 12:03 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i've had a Gymnic 65 cm or 25.6" forever that I found at the Goodwill for $3. i also have a smaller stability ball that came with my MetRx kit 42 cm or 16.5" and we love that one too.

pumps:
Some stability balls come with a small, simple "foot" pump and even kids' inflatable toys come with a simple pump as well. maybe there's one around your house or someone you know.

we have a home air pump that we use for our car tires, and it has a nozzle attachment that can be used for inflating toys and other non-tire items. this air pump has a built-in lithium USB charger or it can plug into your car's electrical system. DS23 uses it to inflate his basketball.

before we bought electrical car tire pump, i owned a small hand pump that i used to pump up my bosu and small inflatable pilates/yoga balls. Walmart sells these in the sporting goods section for less than $10 at the time, and you can inflate a 65 cm ball with reasonable effort. i remember it took me around 15 min to inflate my bosu with the little foot pump that it came with.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-22, 12:46 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I like Cathe's stability ball. It is sturdy and has a nice texture and comes with the type of hand pump I prefer. I guess if you have hand issues it might be preferable to get the accordion-like pump some balls come with because then you have the option press on the accordion part with your foot.

I have the 65cm one even though I'm 5'6" and you're not supposed to get the 65cm size unless you're 5'7" and above.

amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Cathe-Anti-Bu...dp/B08LZZG3KM/

cathe.com link:
https://shop.cathe.com/Cathe-65-cm-A...ise-p/5010.htm
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-22, 01:21 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I got my ball from PowerSystems.com and it's lasted for quite awhile. It came with a plastic pump contraption but I just use a regular bike pump as it has a little more "oomph." IMHO an air mattress compressor is overkill. It's a challenge to inflate it for the first time. Were you planning on deflating it after you use it each workout?

I'm just under 5'6" and I also got a 65 inch ball as I read that anyone over 5'5" should get the 65" one. I've also read that 55" is the best size for anyone over 5'7" so it seems it depends on the manufacturer as to what size is best? Mine works for me, maybe a tad big for some exercises but it hasn't been a major issue.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-22, 09:10 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Following this thread with interest. I was wanting to buy a new stability ball, I was looking for anti burst ones, but reading reviews, some people complained about the ball exploding while on use and even while no in use, pretty scary. I gave up. I have been using the mini ball that came with the Metrix set in a pinch.

My old stability ball was 65 cm, I am 5'4". My previous one was 55 cm and thought it was too small for me. They usually come with a pump as Adawn's pictured, those are just ok, they take a good while to pump the air in since airs gets out at the bottom's little wholes simultaneously. I ended buying a bike pump, and that works great and very quick. It evens comes with a needle to I can pump my medicine balls as well.

I use something like this:

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-22, 09:55 PM  
ncl

I also have the Cathe ball and like it. Easy to pump up, seems durable.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-22, 04:16 AM  
Negin

Thank you all so much! Off to look into all your suggestions.

Tags
stability ball