Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-27-23, 10:33 AM  
Buzzer

Final hike up the matterhorn.. DONE!
DDP Yoga Wake Up... DONE! (as a stretch after the hike)
Biggest loser Yoga... DONE!

Yesterday was BL Yoga, I do like it. I apparently have done it enough to know a lot of what Bob says in it, as I found myself saying things with him! I pushed myself, and made sure I really stretched. It was good and a good kinda rest day workout. I felt kinda wiped out yesterday, so it was perfect.

Today was the final hike up the matterhorn! We went up as high as you can go without it being a technical hike. The maximum incline was 35%, the average was 17%! It was a steep, steep climb almost the entire 34 minutes. So good though! I held on above 20% incline this time. I tried to do the 15% incline without holding on. Wow. It was tough! I did take three 1 minute breaks. My heart rate was way up there, and I was really feeling it! I had to take the incline down to 0 from 35% at one point to catch my breath and bring my HR down. So good though. I really didn't want to do this series since I was so excited about running! I wanted to keep running. However, now I am considering doing it a second time when I"m done because it is SO GOOD. My heart is higher than it is when I run! I know this will help my running. Plus it's low impact. I just love it so much!

Plus Tommy is giving a ton of physiology information, and today the blood was rushing in my ears so I couldn't hear it. I'd love to go through it again and hear it all. I think the second time through too I would do better. I am going to buy a Toblerone bar today though and look at the picture of the matterhorn on it, and enjoy it!!

I did the DDP Yoga wake up workout afterwards. It isn't a great yoga, but it was better than not stretching! He really loosens up the low back, and that's what is tight after a run/hike on me.

So I went yesterday to ARC and looked through the CD's. The DDP Yoga was in a paper case, so I looked there instead of DVD's. I usually ignore the CD's... not anymore! There was a P90X for $5, the whole series! I left it there since I already own 2 of them. However, I FOUND THE REST OF THE DDP Yoga DVD'S!!! I was so excited! I can't even tell you. I can't believe they were there, especially about a week after I found the first one!! I was giddy. I just kept looking at them and held them as tight as I could. I also found Karen Voight Strong and Steamlined. Oh, and I also am going to look in the DVD's more often!! I found Barefoot Fitness, Ttapp an unopened DVD!! PLUS it was the 1/2 off colored tag, so I got it for $1.50. I felt like I won the lottery yesterday!! Edited to add: I did not get ALL of them. I just looked at the site, and I got DDP Yoga discs 1-4, also Extreme Discs 1 and 2. So not all.. but more than enough!!! So cool.

So the DDP Yoga I did this morning was off the second set of discs (desk 3?). It was in what I assume was his bedroom, since it was a wake up workout. Kinda weird, but it was an OK stretch.

Last night we were supposed to get 1" of snow overnight. We ended up with about 5". Hopefully by the time we are headed out this afternoon for her business class and Spanish, the roads are fine!!

So I will probably be going through my DDPs and giving you a check in review. I read the reviews on VF, and the words "I got crazy strong" stuck out with me. So I will do this while I am doing the hikes since the hikes are really good for leg strength. DDP does slow pushups, and isometrics, so I'll see how it goes for me! Kinda excited for the set, especially since I spent a whole $9 and got ALL the DVD's!

Hope you guys are all doing well. We are in the midst of prep cycle, violin recital prep, and it seems like everything is coming to a head right now. It's kinda stressful, and I'm sure LB feels it too.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-23, 01:36 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Sat - AJ (the app) full define barre so barre with a band. my bands suck so this was sort of bleck for me and dang it was hard.

Sun. - Sara Ivanhoe 20 min power beauty sweat yep these are super old but I love them for 20 minutes. Then I rode my horse in a clinic and she had me using a band wrapped around by back and holding with my thumbs yikes so I did NOT do a hard workout when I got home just a CS episode.

Today - AJ define yoga sculpt - so yoga sculpting is always not great for me, my shoulders don't love chatts and downdogs. so I modified but when I have to modify too much I figure why am I don't this? If this one stays hard I'll probably find a different yoga to sub for this.

buzzer - contracts on the thrift store finds! that always psychs me up. and the matterhorn hike way to go!

hi lucie and ebianco!
eventmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-23, 09:33 AM  
Buzzer

DDP Diamond Cutter.. DONE!

This is a 54 minute yoga workout. I am not a foofy, align your chakras yoga person, so this is perfect for me! It was a great stretch. He did do some more advanced postures (warrior 3 off the top of my head), however it was never so tough that I couldn't keep up. It felt good after yesterday's hike! I feel heavier lately again, which could be true, could just be water weight or inflammation. However, this notch down but getting in lots of stretching is good for me, I feel. I need to be stretched out, that's for sure! He is gruff, he does make it more manly rather than foofy, and renames the postures. However, it totally works for me. Even when I was a massage therapist I hated the foofy crap. I have always wanted more athleticism in my workouts instead! So I will admit this isn't for everyone.

He does talk about keeping your body in isometric contractions throughout the workout, however I really don't. It is like barre in that way I suppose, keeping the isometric contractions. I do iso's where I can, otherwise I work on doing what I can to make it all work for me. I really like this workout though! I have sought a yoga that's more like how Tony Horton teaches, and this would be it. He's even more manly than Tony though! HA!

Eugene has had that infection that won't heal since November. He's going under the knife for it next week, and yesterday I was so excited because he has a scab on it!! That's what the Doctor was saying she wants to have happen!! I excitedly called, sent pictures of it, described how it's hard like a scab! I was so excited thinking we don't have to do surgery, but guarded since we have been here before where I thought it was healed and it wasn't. She called yesterday afternoon.. she still wants to keep the surgery date. I was crushed. I hate having him go under. I worry so much. I think she's thinking like I am... we have had these false "healing" before, so let's just be sure. I am disappointed, but also I guess it's OK. I trust her, she's been our vet since 1995, so I just have to lean into that trust and be assured he will be OK. I hate it though. Hopefully Eugene gets there, she looks at it and sees it's healed and he is sent home. Hopefully he never makes it under the knife Poor big guy.

Today is a chill day, only violin lessons. I feel like we have been running a lot again. So happy to have a chill day.

Eventmom: I was imagining you with a big red band, and doing like the midway of a chest press for an hour, holding on with your thumbs. Probably not what happened, but when I read that, that's what I picture! HA!

Hi Ebianco and Lucie!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 03-28-23, 10:46 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

5 parks yoga stretch around 40 min then 6 min ravi & ana headache. Actually, I did the 5 parks, paused when she got to savasana, did the Ravi & Ana, then back to the savasana. My headache was slightly better but still went for prednisone.

buzzer - poor eugene! actually you aren't far off on the band, but it was blue and not the entire ride - several minutes not sure how many. it was stinking hard and I really ought to do it at home.

hi ebianco & lucie!
Old 03-30-23, 05:52 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

I can't believe how long it's been since I checked in! Life has been so busy, very stressful, but I have been keeping up with workouts at least. It keeps me sane!

Catching up from last Friday:

Friday: I decided to go with 10 Minute Solution Pilates on the Ball (stability ball) with Lara Hudson and it was pretty good, definitely felt it in my core the next day. I really like the ab and total body section (which seemed like more abs), didn't like the lower body section as much but it was okay, didn't really care for the stretch but now I don't remember exactly why. Tomorrow I have 10MS Perfect Pilates Body or something with Suzanne, forgot I even had this one because I don't have a DVD holder for it but it's in a sleeve next to my other 10MS DVDs! Or the 10MS pilates with Andrea Leigh Rogers, neither of which I remember much at all except I remember Andrea's being fast and hard. Oh well I'll find out!

Last Saturday: Firm Total Body Shaping Mix and this one truly wiped me out I don't know if I was low on stamina that day or it was just really hard (I think the former, I have been feeling improved endurance this week), it was almost too hard! But of course I felt accomplished when it was complete. This week depending on how I feel I think Firm Volume 2, 3, or Maximum Body Shaping or Super Sculpting? I've cycled through most of my favorites of the full length classics!

Last Sunday: Pure Barre Resistance #1 again because I still feel barre-weak and not yet up to the Focus series. Hopefully I will continue to improve and be able to handle Focus again soon!

Mon-Tues: Planned Rest Days

Wednesday: Back to ACE HIIT Total Body before in-office day. Last week this one was so hard for me, this week it was almost too easy! Anyway it was a relief that my stamina seems to be coming back.

Today: Same Caroline IRON series upper body as last week. I've been too busy to shop around for variety so just sticking to this for the meantime. It was an upper body burner for sure!

Eventmom Haha the 10MS DVDs have a special place in my heart since they were my original workouts when I started on my video fitness journey. Most of them are pretty solid workouts! But my favorites are the pilates with Lara. I'm so glad she has a few, I like her yoga workout too!

Buzzer The DDP yoga sounds great! I always, always feel better and leaner after some good stretching.

I really, really hope Eugene doesn't have to have surgery!! Give him a big hug for me. Such tough luck that he keeps having those infections! I'm glad you have a vet you can trust. I have also been with mine for many, many years and it is comforting that I trust her, even if it is bad news. I just found out my old yorkie has kidney disease. So, she now needs special food and it will shorten her life. She will be 13 this year but yorkies routinely live to 18 but probably not now Still, she hopefully has 1-2 good years left.

Lucie waves!
Old 03-30-23, 06:07 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - define barre 1 + karen voight cardio (16 min) stretched after I rode
today - define barre 2 which add in some cardio + stretched after I rode

ebianco - hugs about your yorkie, at least you can help him live as well as possible given his kidney problem. sorry, dogs are so special because they live in our house.

hi lucie and buzzer!
Old 03-30-23, 08:32 PM  
Buzzer

Ran down the Matterhorn with the trainer, about 2.5 miles... DONE!
DDP Diamond cutter, 20 minutes with LB.. DONE!
My new Karen Voight Strong and Streamlined... DONE!

The run was good. I didn't do the trainers speed, instead I did 4.2-4.3 mph and kept it very low. I remembered how last time on a downhill I did 4.8mph and I couldn't do anything for 4 or 5 days afterwards! I don't want that. So I went slow and it was good. My heart rate stayed in the high 140's and low 150's. I enjoyed the talk about physiology too. He did a LOT of physiology and it was so interesting. I swear I want to go through this series again when I'm done. It's so fascinating, the scenery is beautiful, and the hikes are hard! I like that we do 2-3 hikes, then 2 runs. It's a great balance. I really like this series! I'm glad I did it!

DDP Diamond Cutter was good. I think time two was a little extreme... I like it, but will have to temper how many times I do it. I did notice we spent more time in fold forward, and doing diamond cutters (the move). It isn't bad, but I just got kinda tired of his diamond cutters. It's still a good workout though. LB did it with me becuase she has to get 20 minutes of stretching in a week. So we did 20 minutes and she was done!

Today I did the new Karen Voight. It was... OK? Very 80's and early 90's. The aerobics was OK, but very repetitive. I got kinda bored with it, and usually I am really into early aerobics! It was just so repetitive. There is one girl on a rotating platform, and every time I saw her rotating as she stretched, I got nauseous for her. They are all super muscle bound, and they didn't get that way from this workout. The weights were 5 pounds each, however I should have grabbed heavier weights. It was really a beginner workout, just a long workout! 65 minutes. I didn't really like the workout. It just didn't flow well, seemed rather showy. The muscle bound, scantly clad men and women, the camera men and cameras were often shown moving around and crouching down in front of her, the lights, the dark set, the bad music, and the uninspiring workout. I was disappointed after great weighted workout. I had higher hopes. This one may not stick around in my collection, so if any of you want to try it, let me know and I'll send it to you.

I am kinda wiped out today. LB and I had a big day of school and karate stuff. It was so very windy all day. So, so windy! LB's horse lesson got cancelled because of the wind. So windy.

Eventmom: Funny that I had the right impression! I still have in my head a red band! HA!

Ebianco: I am so sorry about your yorkie That's awful. I hope he lives longer than expected. Eugene is limping around now too... his right leg is gimpy until he walks for a bit, then he's fine. We are trying to keep him and Otis separated outside so they don't wrestle, and hopefully he can heal. We have discussed that we don't think Eugene will last as long as we hoped. He's 7, so still young, but he seems like he has one problem after another. He's just an old soul. I will give him a huge hug from you We hug him often, so I will give him an extra one

I hope your yorkie lives at LEAST a year or two. These little fur balls just get into our hearts. I hate losing them too soon. Makes me so sad. I guess having them leave me when they are ready makes me sad too, no matter how long I have them. Give him snuggles from us too. Silly doggies.

Hi Lucie!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 03-31-23, 09:51 AM  
Buzzer

2.17 mile run with trainer... DONE!

This wasn't hard, but my heart rate was so high! Usually it's tough and my heartrate is at 148, however this time it was 158-160 and I was at maybe a 4 in intensity! I was worried, so I backed off the run by .1 mph. Which doesn't seem like a lot, but it helped. The terrain was pretty flat, the highest incline was about a 5%, however it wasn't for long. The average was about -1%. I don't know what was going on. I do have some soreness from the workout yesterday, which is weird. The only thing I can think of is that after the run the day before, my muscles weren't recovered, I worked them again yesterday, and apparently my body can't handle that.

I will probably just stretch tomorrow, maybe do some upper body. But give my legs a break. The workout yesterday wasn't crazy, it was pretty easy, however I did do legs and usually I go easier on them. Yesterday since the workout was easier, I went full force with the legs (doing full lunges, squats, etc, plus the cardio) and maybe my body isn't in shape for that anymore. So I need to find the balance. I am glad to have that feedback of the heart rate monitor, otherwise I would have just thought I had a bad run.

Today is stinking windy again, and LB is sick. So we are taking an easy day. She does need to go to karate tonight, however he can be sick and do 45 minutes of karate. She is a kid so she's good with that!

Hope you guys are doing well! I need to get some house stuff done today, it's never ending. Probably a documentary kind of day.

Waves To you all!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 03-31-23, 12:09 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - AJ define full body cardio 2 - I think did id some cardio. can't remember LOL
today - define full body 3 and 15 min reps to the rhythm cardio

buzzer - I think I had strong and streamlined, it was okay but mostly I liked the cardio - I like her low impact but it's been many years since I had this one! I think I had it on VHS.... we got the wind today but at least it's warm!

hi lucie and ebianco!
Old 04-01-23, 10:25 PM  
Buzzer

P90X Chest and Back... DONE??

I did a last minute change of workouts this morning. I decided it's been a while since I did any sort of heavy lifting, and I feel like I need to get my strength back. So I traded out "great weighted workout" and went with P90X chest and back. I was thinking I would do STS 1, but P90X was on top of STS so I went with that.

Holy cow. I really stunk at this workout! I am stinking at barre, stinking at yoga, and now stinking at what I've always been good at... heavy lifting. I need to stop stinking. I did the first few sets of pushups with my hands on the weight bench, then moved to chest presses with 20's, then to chest presses with 15's. I could not even do ONE pull-up, even with my cheater bands. I had to use the cheater bands, PLUS have a foot on the chair. It was a mess. This workout destroyed me. Destroyed my confidence. I did it, but I didn't do it well. I used 5's for back flies. ugh. I did do about 14-30 reps for everything, but they weren't good. The pull-ups were so bad. The pushups were worse. I did it, but it wasn't good.

So I think I will be doing a week of P90X this week. I need to stop sucking at everything! I used to be so in shape. what the heck happened to me????? I know I backed off to work on my running, and I am getting better at that. I'm slow, but getting better. I backed off a lot of my other workouts to make sure I don't overtrain. However, it seems I am under training. I need to figure this one out! ugh. I have to remind myself I am still doing better than 90% of people out there. At least I am working out.

All I can do is move forward, and figure it out! I will get strong again! I will not bulk, I will be strong, I will run good, be flexible, and healthy! That's what I need to focus on.

Anyhow, I did it, I know now where I am fitness-wise, and I need to work on so much. Watching my workouts lately, you would never guess I have been working out most of my life. I was more beginner than the beginner.

OK, venting done. I will get past this and be positive! It's gonna be good!

Today was a nice day. The weather was nice! We went to an Easter event at the church, and LB's BFF was in a play we watched. It was really good! So we spent a ton of time outside in the sunshine with friends. That made a crappy, demoralizing workout get forgotten!

Eventmom: The cardio on Strong and Streamlined was pretty basic. Nothing too dancy, more like knees up, V steps, stuff like that. It was good, just kinda got boring. The weight lifting part would probably be good if I went higher in weights. I dunno. If you want the cardio on DVD, let me know! HA! I usually am all over 80's and 90's cardio. Like Tamilee or the Firm. But this just doesn't do it for me!

Waves to Ebianco and Lucie!

Oh, wait, Ebianco: Eugene goes in for surgery on Thursday, and he has been limping around for 4 days on his back right leg. I think it's muscular since he stops limping after a few steps, but we are still trying to keep him kinda low key and rest. all Otis wants to do is wrestle with him, and of course Eugene wants to wrestle also. They love to do that! I keep trying to break it up. I will probably call the vet tomorrow and see if they have any advice. I worry because I was reading that being on antibiotics can make them more prone to ligament and tendon tears. I worry now about my biggest fuzzy friend! I worry that all these antibiotics are hurting him !!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14

Tags
fitprime just right