Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 04-25-03, 02:20 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Looking for breakfast ideas

I tried a recipe posted in response to my "save time in the morning" thread and LOVED it, so I'm looking for more healthy, time-saving breakfast recipes.

The one I tried was very simple--beat two eggs in a microwave-safe bowl. Beat in a little frozen spinach (maybe two or three tablespoons). Microwave for 2.5 minutes, then mix in feta. I toasted a slice of bread while the microwave was going, and the breakfast has lasted me all morning! Usually I'm starving by 10:30 AM. Granted, I did Cool It Off from Slim Series this morning, but still, great breakfast!

I'm looking for quick breakfasts, would prefer protein-heavy ideas. When i'm rushed for time, I usually eat cereal and veggie sausage.

I don't eat meat (nothing with eyes) but do eat dairy and egg. I have plenty of soy products--veggie sausage, beef, tofu, etc.

I appreciate you sharing your ideas with me!
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 03:19 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Hi Pratima,

I don't have a microwave, so I have no microwave recipes. But I actually like eating fish in the morning! Cold salmon is my favorite. So if you make it in advance it takes no time to prepare. If that sounds weird to you, remember that Norwegians have fish for breakfast. And Brits eat kippers. I like to accompany this with some salad.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 03:26 PM  
BLuna
VF Supporter

Whan you want to go for cereal, I recommend Kashi GoLean. 8 grams of protein, 28 g. carbs, 10 g. fiber in a serving, and tastes pretty good too. Best overall cereal I've found.

-bev
BLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 04:04 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I actually don't eat fish either. I was never into it, so it wasn't hard to give up. I've been vegetarian for ten years now.

I've heard a lot about Kashi, think I'll have to try it!
Old 04-25-03, 04:18 PM  
gamber

Cottage cheese, some frozen or fresh fruit, and a tablespoon or two of ground flax seed. Maybe some wheat germ too.
gamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 05:22 PM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

My breakfast almost every morning is:

Short Soy Latte
1/3 Cup Cottage Cheese
1/3 Cup Yogurt
Soy Breakfast Sausage

Lots of protein, very quick and easy.

I've done the egg and microwave thing (very much like you described) and that works well too!

Another idea is to poach an egg (maybe the day before?) and serve it on toast with spinach, a slice of tomato, and a bit of cheese. Yum.

My DH eats waffles with peanut butter on them and a bit of fruit.
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 05:45 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Oooo, waffles with peanut butter, yum! I just bought waffles yesterday, but the peanut butter never occurred to me.

Is it OK to cook eggs the day before? I'm wondering if they get rubbery if you reheat.
Old 04-25-03, 05:50 PM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Pratima
Oooo, waffles with peanut butter, yum! I just bought waffles yesterday, but the peanut butter never occurred to me.

Is it OK to cook eggs the day before? I'm wondering if they get rubbery if you reheat.
I LOVE peanut butter. I just told someone today that you could put peanut butter on a pile of dirt and make it taste good. Other peanut butter ideas:

Peanut butter and banana
Peanut butter and graham crackers
Peanut butter and a spoon (hahahaha)

I get mine in Fred Meyer's health food section where you can grind the nuts right into the container. Fresh and good!

You may be right about the rubbery egg... One idea would be to heat it up in a toaster oven, if you have one available. That would let the cheese melt a bit too.
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 06:39 PM  
nappentass

Breakfast Omelette

I love cooked english breakfast but it takes too long, so my version is on a weekend is to grill a load of sausages and bacon (english bacon) which I cool until I can chop them up, I also cook some chopped mushrooms
I use a large non-stick frying pan (28cm I think) I heat up all the sausage, bacon & mushrooms, add 6 beaten egg with whatever herbs and seasoning I feel like and a drop of water, mix it all up well, turn the heat low and let it cook gently until firm.
Sometimes this can be 1/2 inch thick, and I'll usually portion it into 6 - 8 pieces, it's great fresh, will freeze well (make sure it's fully cold first) and re-heats in the microwave fast in a morning, even straight from the freezer! Warning if you re-heat it too long then can go very rubbery or even hard.
I can even just take a portion with me and by the time I get to work it's defrosted and I like eating it cold too.

I guess being an omelette you can vary what goes in it to whatever your particular pleasure is, or whatever you need to use up from your fridge

J
nappentass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 08:55 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Tami, I love the peanut butter ideas! I've tried all except peanut butter and banana.

I guess one good thing about vegetarian food is that it doesn't take that long to cook. So, I can heat veggie sausage in one minute in the microwave. But your suggestion about cooking all that ahead of time, then *carefully* reheating is great. Thank you!

Tags
breakfast, easy recipe, recipe, steel cut oats