Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-21, 09:36 AM  
upperwside

I think life will go back to normal. People are creatures of habit. We may need yearly boosters. We adapt. I will Happily wear a mask forever if I need to if it protects myself and others.

Happily got vaccinated last week. But unfortunately I know many people who refuse. I don't understand, but I read the NYTimes and they must be reading Facebook posts?

I just want to be able to visit my parents! I'm in Toronto and they are in N.Y.. They are fully vaccinated. As of now we are in a full lockdown\stay at home order and if I visit I have to self isolate for 2 weeks when I get back.
Old 04-26-21, 09:37 AM  
upperwside

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
It's my experience that a lot of racist and xenophobic hatefulness has been hiding behind a facade of seemingly polite acceptance.

Agreeing to disagree will simply allow those who'd prefer to hide their hateful beliefs to carry on pretending that they are civilized and working toward the common good.

A lot of supposedly devout people want to continue to hate and persecute others who disagree.

At no point has there actually been genuine acceptance and honesty on all sides, and I think that's why we've got so much trouble in our society.

Ignorance and fearfulness seem to be in charge of people's decision making, and that's a huge problem that needs to be acknowledged.

I also think that extremists are controlling the narratives of the right. The conservatives currently in charge are extremists who want to stay in power. People need to acknowledge that is actually happening, and take steps to change it. Only then will things get better.
Sadly I agree with this.
Old 04-26-21, 09:42 AM  
prettyinpink

The pandemic will end whether more people get vaccinated or not. It would have ended if we hadn’t gotten a vaccine, they always end once enough people are infected or vaccinated.

But with poor vaccination rates, more people will get infected again in the places where people refuse vaccination, probably increasing in the fall or maybe sooner. If they are very young and healthy, they will mostly escape death or disability, and some of the rest won’t be so lucky. We will have more people in the hospitals again, more people dying of a preventable disease. It’s a shame.

There must be a way to reach more people who are hesitant. Polarizing rhetoric and “othering” people isn’t going to work.
Old 04-26-21, 09:58 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

schoolgirl-01 - I am so sorry and sad that you and your DH are having to go through this torture!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 04-26-21, 10:02 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurawd View Post
I live in Bangkok. We have been wearing masks (by law) since March 2020. You can't get into a store/building/hotel/gym/etc unless your masked and meet the temperature check. It is one thing that I appreciate about the culture here. People respect each other.

I feel that the mask predicament is just a symptom of a much deeper malaise in American culture. ...

I just got a note from Dr. Weil, whom I follow on social media, that links to a short article on the subject that seems relevant to this thread.

https://www.drweil.com/health-wellne...hy-wear-masks/
From what I understand, other countries are more community minded. The US has a long history of being individual focused. People settling here were trying to escape the community and do their own thing. Plus, we are so much larger than other countries, which makes it more difficult. Add to that the big differences from state to state. Sometimes I feel that we really do have 50 different little countries.

We did eradicate smallpox. I listened to a podcast called Sawbones where they talked about the history of vaccination cards in pandemics. We didn't have a government mandate to be vaccinated for smallpox, but so many employers, private clubs, etc. required it, that everyone was vaccinated. Your proof was your smallpox vaccination scar. The country did come together on that one, mostly through private organizations.

However, we aren't going to eliminate Covid because the country doesn't have the same will to do it. People back then knew what it was like to see people die from a disease. We've spent too many years with no experience, people don't have memories of it. I think Covid will be similar to the flu. It will never go away, and some of us will get vaccinated every year to keep the numbers down.
Old 04-26-21, 10:03 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I did a lot of reading about past pandemics during time at home (usually the plague) and they profoundly changed the societies they affected. It wasn't apparent at first, but the change did happen.

I just read an article that said Athens lost its primacy in ancient Greece after a plague hit it. (sorry true history nerd)

There will be changes that maybe are not apparent right now. Also if you've been to Asia, you know that masks are common. I think some people will continue to wear masks if they have a reason to.
Old 04-26-21, 10:25 AM  
TinaT

Life in North Idaho is more normal than most states. That being said, I can go either way when it comes to the mask debate. I will absolutely where a mask if a business has it posted asking customers to do so. Outside, not so much. Especially if there is plenty of space for distance. I think being kind and consider of others is important regardless of my personal feelings.

My push back on always wearing a mask comes from contracting it in Oct when I was doing all the right things. Especially limiting my outings when our county was back to fully being open. When the Panhandle Health District called to find out where I thought I contracted it, they wanted every place I'd been, with the thought of possibly shutting all of them down for 2 weeks. I knew this coming into the conversation, so the first place I listed was Walmart. They refused to shut it down, but would shut down all the small businesses I might have been in, including my church. So the conversation stopped there. I privately contacted those other businesses and let them know myelf. I am offended with how big corp is given more opportunities to thrive over small businesses over the last year with the pandemic. I think this will be a trend for a long time coming. Scary to think where it will take us.

So to anwer the question of normal,... No, it will never be the same. Not for the majority of folks. Only those with money, political power and/or influence will feel the "normal" life offered prior to covid-19. Some of those folks never left their normal life style and have been called out for it, but with no real consequences.

I feel like our states are slowing becoming a version of the Hunger Games. There will be places for the "have" and "have nots" within the USA. States that will be safe havens for whatever you believe in, and folks will flock to like minded areas to feel supported. We're already seeing it here in N. Idaho.
Old 04-26-21, 10:47 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Schoolgirl-01 my heart goes out to you. I am horrified that your husband is being treated this way to the point he feels the need to be armed.
Old 04-26-21, 11:06 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post

However, we aren't going to eliminate Covid because the country doesn't have the same will to do it. People back then knew what it was like to see people die from a disease. We've spent too many years with no experience, people don't have memories of it. I think Covid will be similar to the flu. It will never go away, and some of us will get vaccinated every year to keep the numbers down.
I think I know what you are getting at, but I believe the thinking is that you can never have true eradication of a disease that has an animal reservoir, anyway. Smallpox didn’t. Polio doesn’t, so it has potential for eradication, but even decades later we still haven’t quite eliminated polio worldwide.

But this coronavirus has a lot of different mammals that it has already been shown to infect. So once it was out of Wuhan, that was it; it was never going to go away completely. It’s true that we could do a lot better than we are with widespread vaccination, but it’s likely we would still have outbreaks here and there.

We also don’t know yet that infection or vaccination provides lifelong immunity, so even if we got herd immunity and got the numbers way way down, we might still be in the situation of having to get immunizations every so often.
Old 04-26-21, 11:42 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I think I know what you are getting at, but I believe the thinking is that you can never have true eradication of a disease that has an animal reservoir, anyway. Smallpox didn’t. Polio doesn’t, so it has potential for eradication, but even decades later we still haven’t quite eliminated polio worldwide.

But this coronavirus has a lot of different mammals that it has already been shown to infect. So once it was out of Wuhan, that was it; it was never going to go away completely. It’s true that we could do a lot better than we are with widespread vaccination, but it’s likely we would still have outbreaks here and there.

We also don’t know yet that infection or vaccination provides lifelong immunity, so even if we got herd immunity and got the numbers way way down, we might still be in the situation of having to get immunizations every so often.
Tbh, I’m no expert on the subject. I was just repeating what I learned from two doctors. One from the podcast I mentioned (Dr. Sydney McElroy) and Dr. Scott Gottlieb.

I did read an article in the National Geographic about the Chinese scientist who has been researching the bats for years. She said there are thousands of viruses in the bats, and about 30 that could jump to humans. She said it was crucial that we monitor our meat supply.

Tags
coronavirus, covid, covid-19, pandemic, vf love