Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-21, 09:02 PM  
DCW

Schoolgirl,

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry that you and your husband are being terrorized to the point that he needs to carry a concealed weapon. I can imagine the turmoil and angst this decision caused. Money and education doesn't make people act better or do better.

I am so sorry.
Old 04-26-21, 08:11 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
...I don't know people's circumstances, history, experiences or beliefs so how can I judge them for their choices?

I have more thoughts but I will stop here. I just don't understand why we as a society can't agree to disagree and respect our differences. Our country is broken and hate won't fix anything.
It's my experience that a lot of racist and xenophobic hatefulness has been hiding behind a facade of seemingly polite acceptance.

Agreeing to disagree will simply allow those who'd prefer to hide their hateful beliefs to carry on pretending that they are civilized and working toward the common good.

A lot of supposedly devout people want to continue to hate and persecute others who disagree.

At no point has there actually been genuine acceptance and honesty on all sides, and I think that's why we've got so much trouble in our society.

Ignorance and fearfulness seem to be in charge of people's decision making, and that's a huge problem that needs to be acknowledged.

I also think that extremists are controlling the narratives of the right. The conservatives currently in charge are extremists who want to stay in power. People need to acknowledge that is actually happening, and take steps to change it. Only then will things get better.
Old 04-26-21, 08:31 AM  
donnamp

schoolgirl - I'm so sorry that you and your family are facing this.

Donna
Old 04-26-21, 08:33 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
It's my experience that a lot of racist and xenophobic hatefulness has been hiding behind a facade of seemingly polite acceptance.

Agreeing to disagree will simply allow those who'd prefer to hide their hateful beliefs to carry on pretending that they are civilized and working toward the common good.

A lot of supposedly devout people want to continue to hate and persecute others who disagree.

At no point has there actually been genuine acceptance and honesty on all sides, and I think that's why we've got so much trouble in our society.

Ignorance and fearfulness seem to be in charge of people's decision making, and that's a huge problem that needs to be acknowledged.

I also think that extremists are controlling the narratives of the right. The conservatives currently in charge are extremists who want to stay in power. People need to acknowledge that is actually happening, and take steps to change it. Only then will things get better.
This is very well said and I completely agree.

But, I also feel that people are on pins and needles. Even those who have that genuine acceptance and respect for all mankind are afraid that any miss step will be misunderstood or miss interpreted. At lease I feel this way. I am a neutral person. I try to be kind and respectful to all. But we all have our bad days or moments and where I might be upset about something it may have nothing to do with anything around me, but could interpreted to be that way. Right now I feel I have to be extra careful not to rock the boat or upset the apple cart.

As for vaccines I honestly do not care what people chose to do about this. It's a medical choice, we are in charge of our own bodies and people can make their own choices.

Back to the original questions, will life ever go back to normal? I don't know. But I hope as mankind and society that we learn from the WWI/Depression/WWII generations, that is to be strong and persevere and move forward.
Old 04-26-21, 08:37 AM  
warriorprincess

Vaccinations are the only way to stop the pandemic at the population level. If we can't get enough people vaccinated, the momentous efforts of all the best that science and medicine and governments are trying, will fail. And we have the anti-science demagogues to thank for it.

There's always been a cult of ignorance in the U.S., based on 'my opinion is just as valid as your evidence.' And it's only getting worse with concerted misinformation attacks in social media and politicized religion.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
Old 04-26-21, 08:50 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I think agreeing to disagree doesn't necessarily work when you're dealing with a deadly pandemic. It's fine in many other situations but not here. It's forcing people who want to prevent spreading a disease stuck in isolation while the people who don't believe this go about living their lives like nothing is wrong. That's the ultimate in selfishness and self-centeredness.

I think we'll be living a new normal going forward. Well many of us will. Many others will continue on like nothing is changed and hopefully they don't suffer the consequences of that way of thinking.

I personally will most likely continue to wear masks in crowded indoor places even after vaccination. Just common sense really. I'm a big hand washer too, go figure.
Old 04-26-21, 08:52 AM  
warriorprincess

I doubt I'll ever see my family again. Most of my family in Arkansas are anti-science. My Mom isn't! She's old enough to remember when things like Polio were a problem, but also too old to go out to get the vaccine. Maybe she will when it gets easier. I think my younger sister might get it for her and her son. She only pretends to fit in there, but she's more about protecting that boy. My brother, older sister, and numerous nieces and nephews are deeply anti-science. I'm not flying there, and they aren't flying here to stay with me if they aren't vaccinated. Unless enough people get vaccinated to make the pandemic go away, of course.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
Old 04-26-21, 09:08 AM  
laurawd

I live in Bangkok. We have been wearing masks (by law) since March 2020. You can't get into a store/building/hotel/gym/etc unless your masked and meet the temperature check. It is one thing that I appreciate about the culture here. People respect each other.

I feel that the mask predicament is just a symptom of a much deeper malaise in American culture. ...

I just got a note from Dr. Weil, whom I follow on social media, that links to a short article on the subject that seems relevant to this thread.

https://www.drweil.com/health-wellne...hy-wear-masks/
Old 04-26-21, 09:14 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I think agreeing to disagree doesn't necessarily work when you're dealing with a deadly pandemic. It's fine in many other situations but not here. It's forcing people who want to prevent spreading a disease stuck in isolation while the people who don't believe this go about living their lives like nothing is wrong. That's the ultimate in selfishness and self-centeredness.

I think we'll be living a new normal going forward. Well many of us will. Many others will continue on like nothing is changed and hopefully they don't suffer the consequences of that way of thinking.

I personally will most likely continue to wear masks in crowded indoor places even after vaccination. Just common sense really. I'm a big hand washer too, go figure.
I think this is well said, Summer Breeze. I think it is a complex issue where one has to think beyond personal freedoms (to vaccinate or not, to mask or not) and consider the greater good. Now, I totally understand if, due to a health problem you are not able to be vaccinated. But, a vaccinated population will serve to protect those who are unable to be vaccinated.

Unfortunately, this has become a political debate more than anything else. It is very disappointing.

Donna
Old 04-26-21, 09:26 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I think this is well said, Summer Breeze. I think it is a complex issue where one has to think beyond personal freedoms (to vaccinate or not, to mask or not) and consider the greater good. Now, I totally understand if, due to a health problem you are not able to be vaccinated. But, a vaccinated population will serve to protect those who are unable to be vaccinated.

Unfortunately, this has become a political debate more than anything else. It is very disappointing.

Donna
Very disappointing to say the least. I agree.
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid, covid-19, pandemic, vf love