Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-30-21, 12:40 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hello friends!! Wow it seems like forever since I checked in. The last couple of weeks have been crazy with long 4 hour drives to Mayo in Rochester and many appointments. I did absolutely NOTHING this past weekend but veg in front of the TV.

So.....all the appointment and procedures went well for Justin. The first batch was 3 days worth then back in a few days for another day. Good news is, the cancer has not spread anywhere yet. Wednesday is the first day of chemo but that will be done in his hometown (which is still 1 hour drive each way for me).

The 4 days we were at Mayo I did a LOT of walking. HUGE campus and of course all the appointments were spread out. People even masking outside on the streets, just to be safe.

Workouts...last week I did both my new Boss Bands workouts. I LOVE the bands and loops..they don't slip. I will be using the heavier bands the 2nd time I do the workouts, but I stayed with Cathe's bands on almost all. That orange one is just too light for me but great for warmups.
Threw in some cardio and Cathe Strong & Sweaty Ramped Up Upper Body Ext Mix 3 to round out the week.

This week I'm going back to Hammer & Chisel as I'd like to get through all those twice.

I'll go back and read posts..I am so far behind but I am hoping all the fierceness remains and you are all doing well.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-21, 06:23 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

KateTT, so glad to hear from you and hear things are progressing well with Justin!

Horusosiris, sometimes I really wish I had On Demand to do just what you're doing, creating new workouts! I bet you're making some excellent ones.

Watulans, I'm SO SORE from Booty Barre Ballet, I have to hold onto the walls to get down the stairs! Like going down stairs is way worse than going up. What's up with that??

Today I tried a premix I've never done before, Cathe's Intensity, the step portion plus the low impact portion plus the bootcamp for a total of 60 minutes of sweaty goodness! I reallllllly liked this premix because facing the low impact after the evil step portion was way better than going into the high impact HIIT section that I think would have killed me today as sore as I am, hah!

Stay fierce, Watulans!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-21, 12:42 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello all!

Sunday I did CL #322 Fantastic Elastic with the new bands and loops. They worked just fine for me, although I did need to switch from the medium to the lighter loop for one of the exercises that Cathe used the firewalker band for. It's hard using those loops around the ankle! Cathe billed this one as a "not too hard" workout and one that would be good for travel, and it was right for what I needed on Sunday. I followed it with the Kit Rich stretch mentioned by manleym. Wow, it's a good one!! The pace was slower so I had a chance to get a good stretch and she has a good voice---to me meaning not childlike. She also has a collection of workouts available on her channel---manley, have you done any of them and if so do you have recommendations?

Today I did the original CL PHA Training #57. I really liked it even with the repeats of the exercises. She doesn't do a million reps so it didn't get tedious. My only issue was the switch from the barbell plie squats to the rear delt fly as I didn't have enough time. I think it's because I don't balance the barbell on the front of my shoulders but instead put it on my back. Holding the bar in front of me when it's more than 40+ pounds bothers my hands so I just don't do it that way. Anyway I was quicker after the first round.

We are expecting rain and a cooldown from Ida later in the week. My friend's daughter in NO is safe and has had minimal damage and flooding. There's no power, but that was expected. Such a relief!

Kate, it's so good to get an update!! Great news that the cancer hasn't spread! It sounds like you will travel to be with him for at least the first of his chemo sessions? It's good he can get them where he lives so he will be close to home to rest. I'm sure all the walking you did on the Mayo campus was good for you both mentally and physically. I'm glad they are taking precautions with the masks, particularly in a medical environment when there could be people with compromised immune systems.

FN1, glad you enjoyed your new-to-you Intensity premix! That DVD really has some great premixes IMHO.

Waves to all and goodnight!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-21, 09:23 AM  
horusosiris

Happy Tuesday to All!

Kate - I am sending many good vibes to your son and hugs your way. You mentioned Hammer and Chisel. I am missing Sagi. I have to add some of his workout to my schedule during October.

Cataddict- thanks for the suggestion. I am going to do CL 322 with the new bands this week We too are expecting rain form the remnants of Ida later this week. My heart and prayers go out to all of those who have been affected by Ida.

Kitty- Oh! Cathe 's Intensity! That workout used to do me in! Cathe on Demand has been great for me during the pandemic. I am able to create workouts quickly for the amount of time that I have to exercise. On Demand takes away any of my excuses not to exercise. Booty Barre Ballet is sneaky. Actually, for me barre is also sneaky. I almost always do a barre workout to supplement my traditional leg workouts of the week. My legs respond best to a combination of barre and regular weighted leg work.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-21, 02:05 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hi All!

Kate, it's so great to get an update from you and great that you got some good news. Also good that future treatments can be done close to home and it's a much shorter drive for you. I wouldn't worry about not doing workouts for a week -- I'm sure all the stressing you've probably been doing has worked you plenty hard. I hope you feel a bit of a weight off your shoulders at this point.

horusosiris, nice to hear from you! Fun about creating all the new workouts. I used to have a blast creating so many different rotations -- never using many of them, but it is fun to be able to do that kind of work on our hobby. I'm sure you will use the workouts you've created!!

I did see that Ida is headed for central Tennessee today -- hoping Linda is ok!

kittybug, ouch! on the Brutal Barre Ballet! I remember that feeling though haven't put myself in that much torture in a while. You remind me I should pull out Flex Train. Think I'll leave Intensity on the shelf for now.

Yesterday I did a couple of Barlates youtube workouts that I enjoyed, and then another Inner Dimension mindful movement -- this one was the 30 minute one by Lauren. I actually did the yoga before bed. I enjoyed that, even though for whatever reason I'm mostly not a huge fan of Lauren's. I can't put my finger on why not.

Today I did a walk with my friend and then I'll hopefully do more of that yoga again later.

manleym, thanks for that stretch link -- I'm going check it out.

oh, cataddict, I've been meaning to tell you.... we are finally getting some beans from the garden, but like you I think we will have two or three beans per person tonight.

Waves to Linda, Kim, Nathalie, Chele, and Baby.
Old 08-31-21, 06:04 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Hello all!! Hoping FOLV will check in and let us know she's okay!!

Manleym, I have it in for you, girl. Suggesting that Jessica Smith lower body workout, how COULD you??? Okay, so maybe it was my own dumb fault for doing that when I'm already this sore. But I have to say I really liked it! I used her weights BUT I did the deadlifts double-legged instead of single-legged as my hip is not ready for that yet. Good sweaty stuff! I added on her 20-minute upper body to round everything out. Seeing adorable Peanut made me really sad though. RIP, Peanut!

Horusosiris, yep, barre is no joke! I like your idea of combining barre and traditional leg workouts, which is something I've not really done before until now. I blame that on you too.

Ooooh, FN2, the 'childlike' voice, you nailed my pet peeve, that along with vocal fry!!! Hmm, there's a movie about that but I can't remember what it's called right now...it's hilarious!

Bee, I'm not the biggest fan of Lauren either. I know Kim has talked about that too. I like her but I don't love her practices as much as oh, say, Travis.

Gotta run...stay fierce, all!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-21, 07:06 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi Watulans!

Today was CL #30 Kickboxing & Compound Weight. It was good but not one of my favorites, I guess because there were so many overly familiar moves. I did get a giggle at one participant who arrived late so she was stuck in the direct line of sight behind Cathe so her struggle to follow along was visible to all. I always thought I would be too nervous to be on Cathe Live, particularly when the camera was close by. I guess if I did it regularly I would get used to it.

FN1, yes, an instructor's voice can really make or break a workout for me. At least some of the folks that have voices that would annoy me do non verbal workouts.

Hope our TN, PA and NY Watulans are safe during the storm! Check in when you can.

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-21, 11:22 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

A quick drive-by to say, "Hi Watulans!"

Hugs to kittybug, cataddict, Linda, manleym, Nathalie, Kim, Chele, bee, kate & horusosiris!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-21, 04:12 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello All!

This morning I did Flex Train. I knew it was not one of my favorite Cathe's and I remembered why. It's pretty shoulder heavy, but what makes it even harder is that she starts with shoulders, so they are fried and then have the rest of the upper body work. It's pretty heavy upper body, but when you look at the other workouts that were sold along with that one -- great glutes, lean legs -- it kind of makes sense. I think I liked it more today than I have in the past.

I tried doubling up the long skinny loops to use as a fire walker. Didn't work all that well. My physical therapist used to have me do "fire walkers" with the band up above my knee, so for those who want to stick with the new bands, you can probably do them that way.

Happy Hump Day and Rabbit, Rabbit...... all at once.
Old 09-01-21, 04:58 PM  
fanofladyvols

Hey all ... we're all good here.
Flash floods, lightning and LOTS and lots of rain but so far we don't mind the extra water.
Thanks for asking ... everyone else ok?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in