Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-20, 11:09 AM  
donnamp

I know this sounds totally crazy, but I am finding some aspects of all this to be "relaxing" - I mean, other than the worry, about what is going to happen in the future and thinking about people who are in a much worse position than me and my family (my DH, DD and I are healthy, we're still working and getting paid and we have enough TP to hopefully last until the shortage is over).

I think the forced slow down of the pace of life has been good for me. I am not as stressed, pressed for time, over committed. I don't miss spending the better part of 2 hours a day in traffic. Although working from home can be challenging at times, it does beat sitting in that traffic day in and day out.

We are spending more time together as a family, we are taking our dogs out more, I'm getting more sleep, getting more steps. Cooking at home more.

Really, it is crazy to find it "relaxing" but on some levels it really is.

I need to figure out how to make some of these changes lasting for when life does return to normal. A hope i have is maybe more work at home from my job?

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 12:36 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I know this sounds totally crazy, but I am finding some aspects of all this to be "relaxing" - I mean, other than the worry, about what is going to happen in the future and thinking about people who are in a much worse position than me and my family (my DH, DD and I are healthy, we're still working and getting paid and we have enough TP to hopefully last until the shortage is over).

I think the forced slow down of the pace of life has been good for me. I am not as stressed, pressed for time, over committed. I don't miss spending the better part of 2 hours a day in traffic. Although working from home can be challenging at times, it does beat sitting in that traffic day in and day out.

We are spending more time together as a family, we are taking our dogs out more, I'm getting more sleep, getting more steps. Cooking at home more.

Really, it is crazy to find it "relaxing" but on some levels it really is.

I need to figure out how to make some of these changes lasting for when life does return to normal. A hope i have is maybe more work at home from my job?

Donna
I don't think it sounds crazy at all. But maybe that's because I feel the same way I don't like the reason for it, or the fact that we don't know when it will end (a two week shutdown was an adventure, an indefinite one is kind of scary), but I do think it's good to slow down once in a while (again, I'm not addressing those who are out of work or sick or suffering in other ways).

So for now, I'm enjoying working out more consistently, learning to bake yeasted bread (I got that idea here on VF) and maybe I will get those closets cleaned and photos sorted
Old 04-12-20, 03:44 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I've been using this method to make disposable masks out of paper towels, rubber bands and a stapler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0V16WeQxnQ

I made up a bag full of them for when I go over to my dad's house.
That is so fast and simple, I might try it using material and see how it turns out! I'd seen one guy using those blue Shop Towels, but this looks even easier.. Thanks!

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 07:37 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I cut the top part of the thigh from a pair of old leggings and am able to use that as a neck gaiter! Basically a stretchy, tapered tube. I just fold the top over when wearing it to hide the uneven cut, but you could totally hem it if so inclined. The size you need and the size of your leggings would determine where on the leg you would need to cut. I just went on a whim and started at the top.

I also ordered a Kettlebell Bombshell neck gaiter from Lisa Balash's site https://bombshelterclothing.com/ (she has some really cute workout gear, too!), and it was reasonably priced, but I'm not sure how long it will take to arrive, therefore my improvisation in the meantime

ETA: I tried the paper towel and rubber band mask after seeing it on YouTube, but I think the paper towels I used were not adequate. It barely covered my mouth and nose at the same time, and I had to keep adjusting it, which meant I was constantly touching my face.
Old 04-15-20, 01:32 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

steph, that is brilliant!

well, our mayor reversed course and decided that fabric stores are essential, so they're back to being open, except that he told the bigger stores to only allow 2 customers into the store at a time! and that the customers cannot line up outside - they need to stay in their cars. well, it's better than nothing.

i haven't needed to go back yet - my sister gave me more fabric that we found in her house and i still have enough to keep me busy. I'm just making masks to give away to friends and family. it's good therapy for me.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-20, 07:03 AM  
antbuko

Silver Lining: People are out walking more, it seems, and visiting porches. In other words, the people being visited won't come out, they'll just have conversations from their porch with the persons below. This is a welcome throwback! I've noticed also that more people greet you when you're out walking. Neighbors and neighborhoods are making a huge comeback.
Old 04-15-20, 10:53 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Much as I love Leslie Sansone, I've really needed a change.

Thanks to different recs and links on VF, I've found some new instructors and workouts that I truly enjoy.

Thanks for that!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 02:30 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

our stimulus check was credited to our bank account - i wasn't looking for it, but my sister got hers and told me to look at our transactions. amazing.

I'm just wondering - if you never received a refund, and you're entitled to a check, do they just mail you a physical check?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 02:38 AM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
our stimulus check was credited to our bank account - i wasn't looking for it, but my sister got hers and told me to look at our transactions. amazing.

I'm just wondering - if you never received a refund, and you're entitled to a check, do they just mail you a physical check?
I think you have to contact the IRS. Physical checks are delayed even longer (I won’t get into the reason for it), so the wire transfer is the most expedient way to get the payment.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 03:49 AM  
Gams

There should still be more payments by direct deposit. I think they are doing them in waves. My younger sister and a couple of my step siblings got theirs by direct deposit the other day, but my older sister and I and my parents and several friends I’ve checked with haven’t received anything yet. A lot of those people are on SS, so doesn’t appear SS recipients have receive payments yet.

Like Suzanne said, physical checks will take longer. Most of those will be for people who do not have banking info on file with the IRS.

There is a link you can go to to enter your banking info, but the site is pretty busy and may take awhile to get through.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19