Non-Dancer

Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Balance-Stren...e+and+strength
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 10:29 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing more about the new DVD. I've been happy with Gentle Yoga and will consider getting more of Jane Adams' DVDs. I really like her as an instructor, and if Gentle Yoga is any indication she clearly puts a lot of thought, planning, and effort into her DVDs. Even though I'm only in my 30s, I'm considering getting her senior videos. I'm increasingly thinking the sort of gentle, health, balance, and mobility-focused exercise directed at seniors is actually probably the healthiest option for all ages assuming a reasonably active lifestyle besides. I think a lot of fitness programs are really hard on our bodies. Longevity runs in my family, I don't want to wear my body out prematurely.

I have ankle problems (chronic instability due to ligament laxity) and I find the balance work on Gentle Yoga helpful. A lot of balance practices are way too difficult for me and cause pain as you describe - for example I had high hopes for V-core and found it really uncomfortable. Also Jane Adams' balance work is more balanced than most in that she works through the feet getting you to move through toe-heel-everted-inverted positions rather than just repeatedly putting you in an unstable position.
I am the same way!! I think you hit it. I need help with stabalizing everything. If I isolate it for too long, i have pain for weeks. I am 41 and do senior and pregnancy workouts all the time, lol, no shame.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-16, 10:39 AM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Dancer View Post
Thank you for the link!
Old 08-18-16, 03:14 PM  
alisoncooks

My dvd came right after lunch, and I previewed a few of the workouts. So far, I think it looks great. There is a TON of Tai Chi here (an entirely separate Tai Chi menu page with 2 practices and lots of tutorials).

On first glance, I think these look easy...maybe easier than Gentle Yoga. But (as I've found out with Gentle Yoga) I bet they will be sufficiently, gently challenging. The strength workouts (a short upper body and a short lower body) are very basic and accessible. The upper body strength segment has a nice, flowy arm stretch included; there is a separate lower body stretch segment. There are some very basic aerobics (stepping movements, like v-step and some crossover moves like grapevine) in the Walking & Stepping Balance workout; very simple "agility drills" for the balance-challenged.

I really like the look of the seated core workout, too.

Can't wait to give these a try!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-16, 03:20 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
My dvd came right after lunch, and I previewed a few of the workouts. So far, I think it looks great. There is a TON of Tai Chi here (an entirely separate Tai Chi menu page with 2 practices and lots of tutorials).

On first glance, I think these look easy...maybe easier than Gentle Yoga. But (as I've found out with Gentle Yoga) I bet they will be sufficiently, gently challenging. The strength workouts (a short upper body and a short lower body) are very basic and accessible. The upper body strength segment has a nice, flowy arm stretch included; there is a separate lower body stretch segment. There are some very basic aerobics (stepping movements, like v-step and some crossover moves like grapevine) in the Walking & Stepping Balance workout; very simple "agility drills" for the balance-challenged.

I really like the look of the seated core workout, too.

Can't wait to give these a try!
This sounds perfect!! Thankyou so much for the preview!!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 08-18-16, 03:27 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
This sounds perfect!! Thankyou so much for the preview!!
You're welcome. Hopefully, I will try a segment or two tomorrow (or maybe tonight). I usually exercise in the mornings, but we just started back to school, plus my dog has been in rapid decline (health), so exercise has gone by the wayside. These segments are short enough, maybe I can actually do one!
Old 08-18-16, 03:42 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
You're welcome. Hopefully, I will try a segment or two tomorrow (or maybe tonight). I usually exercise in the mornings, but we just started back to school, plus my dog has been in rapid decline (health), so exercise has gone by the wayside. These segments are short enough, maybe I can actually do one!
i would love to hear about them!! I orderd it the day it came out, but I get the snail shipping, and ordered it along with Classical Stretch (finally had enough giftcards!! Yay!!) so am having to wait, but this sounds like it will be really useful after surgery!!

PS: I am so sorry about your dog. 2 of ours are in that phase.

Old 08-19-16, 12:05 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I got the new DVD yesterday and did a couple of segments this morning. First I did the walking and stepping balance without the chair. It started out with walking back and forth in different ways such as on your heels, on your toes, one foot in front the other, etc. Then it goes into what Alison mentioned - kinda low impact aerobic moves in various ways. This segment is 18 minutes long. It was different and I liked it.

Then I did the standing balance and core strengthening 31 minute segment. I really liked this one. It starts with standing balance exercises that I'm more used to from Jane. Then she sits for the core exercises which were all interesting and felt effective. She finishes with more of her "normal" balancing exercises. It would be easy to stop at the end of the first balancing section (before the core work started) for a shorter practice.

I have been having lots of balance issues lately (I think because of my Cataract Surgery from H*ll - my eyes are still not right) so I've been doing some Jane Adams balance practices every day. It will be nice to have these new practices to include now.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-16, 03:27 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
Then I did the standing balance and core strengthening 31 minute segment. I really liked this one. It starts with standing balance exercises that I'm more used to from Jane. Then she sits for the core exercises which were all interesting and felt effective. She finishes with more of her "normal" balancing exercises. It would be easy to stop at the end of the first balancing section (before the core work started) for a shorter practice.
I did this one today. It has a nice mix of brand new moves, along with some of the moves from her previous dvd.

One thing I didn't love was the constant "now move to the right of your chair" and "now move to the left of your chair." I think I would've preferred doing all the left side moves first, then moving to the right. Or maybe rethinking a few moves so they could be done from behind the chair. (It's not a huge deal; I just work in a small space and have to actually slide my folding chair back and forth to make the room to change sides. )

Tags
balance, gentle yoga, jane adams, tai chi