Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-16, 03:55 AM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Practice foot stretches and toe dexterity. Your feet are the base of your balance. Poor nerve transmission = poor sensation = poor balance over time. Regain calf flexibility. If your calves and heel cords are tight your balance shifts forward. This decreases stability.

Practice toes taps. This will strengthen your lower body, rebalance muscle pairs and improve walking balance. Using these muscle sends the message to your body that these muscles and nerves - along with the blood supply to support them - are necessary.

All of the other typical balance ideas work so much better when you improve your lower leg ankle and foot function and nerve transmission.
I wonder if my foot fitness regimen is responsible for my new ability to execute bellydance spins and turns! I've been consistently doing foot/calf exercises I memorized from this DVD, designed for ballet dancers: http://www.theshoeroom.ca/stability-...tte-hamel.html. (It includes balance moves as well.)
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 07:08 AM  
buffmama

Kickboxing should help also.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 07:25 AM  
PennyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Not sure anyone addressed the following.

Practice foot stretches and toe dexterity. Your feet are the base of your balance. Poor nerve transmission = poor sensation = poor balance over time.

Regain calf flexibility. If your calves and heel cords are tight your balance shifts forward. This decreases stability.

Practice toes taps. This will strengthen your lower body, rebalance muscle pairs and improve walking balance. Using these muscle sends the message to your body that these muscles and nerves - along with the blood supply to support them - are necessary.

All of the other typical balance ideas work so much better when you improve your lower leg ankle and foot function and nerve transmission.
I believe Miranda is great for these exercises and have used them often for foot pain and tight calves and overall balance and flexibility. Also, check out The Healthy Foot website, she has a dvd/download/clip for exercises to strengthen feet, arches, ankles, legs, pelvic floor, inner thigh, and calf muscles. Her dvd/reviews are also available on Amazon and a few copies on Ebay.
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 07:54 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I didn't think about CS. I have a ton of those gathering dust on my shelf.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 08:04 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I didn't think about CS. I have a ton of those gathering dust on my shelf.
For sure CS. My participants are commenting about their improved balance.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 08:48 PM  
mlroman

If you're interested in going the foot exercise route, there's a good video called Sole Training. http://willpowermethod.com/shop/vide...ideo-download/

Still just bein' a mel...
mlroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 02:52 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
I found Rejuvenetics (vhs-Amazon) a few years ago after reading a brief mention of it here on vf and really enjoy it. A blend of ballet, tai chi, and yoga involving a lot of one legged and arm movements. Short and sweet and has been super for helping me with balance. Definitely a keeper!
Penny, thanks! I had forgotten about this one. Found it in the closet and did it today; I still have a VCR.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 03:38 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I read an AARP article recently and one of the suggestions was make sure your eyesight and hearing are good, and if not do something about it.

below is a link that reminds us about sensory input and how it aids in our balance:

Quote:
Balance is achieved and maintained by a complex set of sensorimotor control systems that include sensory input from vision (sight), proprioception (touch), and the vestibular system (motion, equilibrium, spatial orientation); integration of that sensory input; and motor output to the eye and body muscles. Injury, disease, or the aging process can affect one or more of these components.
http://vestibular.org/understanding-...balance-system

Tai chi has been lauded as a great way to improve your balance since it moves so slow.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 04:20 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

also found this regarding vestibular exercises from University of Mississippi Health Care:
https://www.umc.edu/uploadedFiles/UM...arExercise.pdf

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-16, 07:45 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Jeannine, love your new avatar!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, jane adams, proprioception, rejuvenetics, v-core