Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-16, 02:46 PM  
marya

Another recommendation for Stronger Standing Balance. I like its progressive approach--no plunging into advanced moves right out of the gate.

That being said, balance work tends to bore me to tears, and I haven't done SSB for many months. I do try to incorporate balance moves in the course of my everyday activities, and recently in my improvised indoor walk workouts I've been adding the occasional turn and spin--nothing extreme. This seems to be enough! To my surprise, last week I was able to do more extreme spins and turns without any vertigo whatsoever in a bellydance workout that defeated me 9 years ago!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 02:55 PM  
momofcha

I asked this question last year - here's the thread, maybe there's some helpful information

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...hlight=balance

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 03:14 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'll second barre3. I don't do the videos, but I've been taking classes locally and there are always balance moves in class. I'm impressed that they make balance such a priority.

Joni, do you have any Tracie Long's in your collection? She often incorporates balance moves.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 05:46 PM  
CharM

Miranda's Aging Backwards book has balance exercises, but I don't know how JoniO-ing a book works in case you hate it.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 06:14 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I haven't done my Body Bar DVDs in a while, but in one of them, LaShaun Dale instructs during a balance move, "pinch your cheeks." Meaning squeeze butt cheeks together. Tightening the core. It helps.
This!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 06:15 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Joni, do you have any Tracie Long's in your collection? She often incorporates balance moves.
And this My balance was at its best when I was doing a Tracie Long rotation. And my abs looked fantastic.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 06:17 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Thanks for the link, Sue. I didn't find that when I searched.

I did have Miranda's book - probably should have kept it.

Thanks for all the info. I'll be looking into all those suggestions.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 07:08 PM  
Lannette

Not sure anyone addressed the following.

Practice foot stretches and toe dexterity. Your feet are the base of your balance. Poor nerve transmission = poor sensation = poor balance over time.

Regain calf flexibility. If your calves and heel cords are tight your balance shifts forward. This decreases stability.

Practice toes taps. This will strengthen your lower body, rebalance muscle pairs and improve walking balance. Using these muscle sends the message to your body that these muscles and nerves - along with the blood supply to support them - are necessary.

All of the other typical balance ideas work so much better when you improve your lower leg ankle and foot function and nerve transmission.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss

Last edited by Lannette; 04-28-16 at 07:09 PM. Reason: fix typo
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 07:29 PM  
rosepetals

T-Tapp helps with balance big time.

Yoga too.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 07:55 PM  
raeven

Somebody mentioned it briefly up above...but I wanted to mention it again...Tai Chi. Great for many things, including balance. This lady in our class who just recently turned 70, shared with us one day that when she began taking tai chi she could barely stand on one foot at all without falling over. She then lifted a foot and continued to talk while standing strong and not wobbling at all. She said it has helped her so much with balance. I know for myself as well, I used to wobble a lot during some moves in class, that I am now much more steady at.
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, jane adams, proprioception, rejuvenetics, v-core