Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-16, 08:39 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Suggestions for Improving Balance?

Oh my! I am so tippy! I know my balance isn't the greatest, but this morning I tried Jessica Smith's Core Stretch and I literally kept tipping. Seriously. Kneeling on one knee, twisting and placing my opposite elbow on the knee out front without falling over? Impossible (and sad). I should have kept my BOSU.

Any suggestions for improving balance before I get older and it just gets worse?

Thanks!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 09:49 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I will be following this thread closely as I just noticed the same thing -- sadly! I think just working on it -- we need to stand on one foot and move the rest of our bodies around as often as we can think about it. But, I'm hoping someone will have something a little more helpful than that.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 09:58 AM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

I have some serious balance issues too - especially when I'm trying to balance on my left side.

I know that for me, one big aspect will be to lose some weight - I'm currently very top heavy and I know that has an effect.

Beyond that, I think a combo of strengthening my legs, and strengthening my core is what's going to help me.

After that - just practice and "time on the hill" as my dad puts it (in skiing terms)

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 10:49 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I starting focusing on balance several years ago when I got a diagnosis of osteopenia. I have managed to regain some bone mass from strength training, but balance is still a major focus in most of my workouts.

The first DVD I would highly recommend is Jane Adams' Stronger Standing Balance:

http://www.amazon.com/Improve-Balanc...+adams+balance

There are seven, well-chaptered segments. She starts out with lying floor moves to work the muscles used for balance and then works up to very difficult standing poses. Jane mirror cues, which I love (and is rare in any yoga types of workouts). There is no woo-woo.

V-Core by Dr Emily Splichal is a good workout for balance, but the instructor has a terrible, mannered way of speaking. Her cueing isn't that great either. I can't bring myself to do the workout.

There are a lot of things you can do in all of your workouts (and daily life) to improve balance. In many strength sections, I stand on one leg during the biceps work. When that gets easy, stand on one leg on a BOSU or balance disc.

At first, keep a chair or wall nearby for support. When you are brushing your teeth, pick up one foot from the floor.

You'd be surprised how many ways there are for you work on balance all day long!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 10:50 AM  
nevertoolate

I recommend Stronger Standing Balance with Jane Adams. She also incorporates balance training on her Gentle Yoga dvd. I love both of these.

Improving our balance is such an important part of fitness, especially as we get older.

Ann

Oops! Vintage VFER beat me to it. Good post.
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 11:08 AM  
PennyK

I found Rejuvenetics (vhs-Amazon) a few years ago after reading a brief mention of it here on vf and really enjoy it. A blend of ballet, tai chi, and yoga involving a lot of one legged and arm movements. Short and sweet and has been super for helping me with balance. Definitely a keeper!
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 12:21 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Barre3 has helped me tremendously with my balance.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 12:38 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I also would recommend the two Jane Adams DVDs suggested upthread, as well as Barre3, which incorporates lots of balance work!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 01:03 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I haven't done my Body Bar DVDs in a while, but in one of them, LaShaun Dale instructs during a balance move, "pinch your cheeks." Meaning squeeze butt cheeks together. Tightening the core. It helps.
monterey vidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 01:08 PM  
Calistro

Hello Joni,

Have you tried Joel Harper Fit Pack Better Balance DVD?

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Sea...ch=joel+harper

To be honest he has a bit of balance in a lot of his other stuff.

It has helped with my balance and he is easy on the ears and eyes
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, jane adams, proprioception, rejuvenetics, v-core