Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-14, 03:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Certain cuts of meat are better suited to crockpot cooking than others. The ones you mentioned are probably better prepared by roasting or grilling. For crockpot cooking you want fattier meats with lots of connective tissue. Think pork shoulder, pot roast, chicken thighs, ribs, brisket and things like that.
^2.

if i happen to choose a meat with less fat (like chicken breast) i add low sodium chicken broth (even plain old water will do) and make sure the meat is immersed in water. or, add lots of veggies for moisture.

in reply to the OP, we have a Hamilton Beach:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-B...Cooker/4012120

it has 3 heating settings. and hasn't burned anything. i know what you mean, though, a few we had owned in the past burned it. i honestly can't remember the make and model of those, though.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 05:30 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
^2.

if i happen to choose a meat with less fat (like chicken breast) i add low sodium chicken broth (even plain old water will do) and make sure the meat is immersed in water. or, add lots of veggies for moisture.

in reply to the OP, we have a Hamilton Beach:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-B...Cooker/4012120

it has 3 heating settings. and hasn't burned anything. i know what you mean, though, a few we had owned in the past burned it. i honestly can't remember the make and model of those, though.
I make chicken breasts frequently and use a lot of chicken broth. The meat always comes out very moist. I have a very similar slow cooker to the one you have and have never had a problem with burning or overheating.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 08:59 PM  
beatchica

I picked up a at Calphalon 4 quart slow cooker at Bloomingdale's last year and it has been fantastic. It cooks very evenly and reliably. Makes great veggie soups, sauces and veggie chili. Plus I had a question and the Calphalon customer service was excellent.
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 11:44 AM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
Oh, my goodness. When I first saw this thread, I thought it said "Anyone buy a crack pipe recently". Hunh??? Guess I've been watching too many courtroom shows...
So funny! This made me burst out laughing!!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 01:14 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
Oh, my goodness. When I first saw this thread, I thought it said "Anyone buy a crack pipe recently". Hunh??? Guess I've been watching too many courtroom shows...
Hee hee, don't want a crack pipe! Every time I see Tonique Check in, I see tongue in cheek.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 02:22 PM  
mirtilla

Hi, I wanna recommend a wonderful FB recipes group: " slow cooker recipes 4 families"
mirtilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 02:55 PM  
PeakFitness

Some people just aren't going to like the texture from a slow cooker. Different strokes for different folks. Different people just don't like the taste or texture of it. I love mine and use it practically every day, but some people just hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I've been reading all these posts avidly.

I'm trying to figure out why I hate crockpot prepared meat. I have a 6 qt Rival crockpot that is about 15 years old (maybe a bit older), and regardless of what I cook it in--chicken, beef, pork, lamb--the meat comes out stringy and inedible.

I have varied the heat (low or high--the only settings). I have varied the seasonings, the vegetables added. You name it. I've tried it.

And the meat is always stringy or chalky when it's done.

Is it my crockpot? Am I expecting too much?

I just pulled the crockpot out from the back of the cupboard, and I'm tempted to put it in the Goodwill box.
Old 09-15-14, 02:58 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtilla View Post
Hi, I wanna recommend a wonderful FB recipes group: " slow cooker recipes 4 families"
Thank you!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-14, 03:23 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakFitness View Post
Some people just aren't going to like the texture from a slow cooker. Different strokes for different folks. Different people just don't like the taste or texture of it. I love mine and use it practically every day, but some people just hate it.
I'd come to this conclusion after reading all the posts in this thread. It comes down to a matter of taste (pun unavoidable).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 01:27 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I have a no-frills $20 4 qt. oval Hamilton Beach cooker that has the opposite problem as many of you: it cooks too slowly--most recipes take an extra hour. I'm planning to see how much I really use the cooker now that summer is over and might upgrade to one with a timer.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crockpot, off topic, recipe, recipe box, soup