Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-14, 02:07 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I've been reading all these posts avidly.

I'm trying to figure out why I hate crockpot prepared meat. I have a 6 qt Rival crockpot that is about 15 years old (maybe a bit older), and regardless of what I cook it in--chicken, beef, pork, lamb--the meat comes out stringy and inedible.

I have varied the heat (low or high--the only settings). I have varied the seasonings, the vegetables added. You name it. I've tried it.

And the meat is always stringy or chalky when it's done.

Is it my crockpot? Am I expecting too much?
Hmmm...I've got a 14 yr old Rival that always performs excellently. In fact, I've been afraid to upgrade b/c this one does so well. (It has a plastic lid that cracked, so I covered it with tin foil in the hopes to keep this one going a bit longer!)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 04:04 PM  
Judy W.

Oh, my goodness. When I first saw this thread, I thought it said "Anyone buy a crack pipe recently". Hunh??? Guess I've been watching too many courtroom shows...

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 04:27 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
Demeris - maybe it's not being cooked long enough? If I check my roast and it is still a bit tough and stringy, I keep on cooking it until it falls apart. I add some water and a packet of onion soup mix and a couple of cubes of beef bouillon to it and I've never had a roast that didn't taste great. I leave mine in the crock pot on high for about 6 hours and then low for a couple more hours. With fluid in the crock, I think it's almost impossible to overcook it.
Well, it seems to be completely done. And there's always plenty of liquid. In fact, the stringy disintegrates into chalky. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'd never use a soup mix (I do everything from scratch in the kitchen), but I have added broth.

I can make a roast in the oven, and it's perfect. I can cook a chicken in the oven, and it's perfect. I can cook a pork loin in the oven, and it's perfect. I can grill steak and chicken breasts, and they are perfection. Any time I try to cook meat in a crockpot, I end up throwing the meat away because the texture grosses me out.

If it's my crock pot, then I'd give a different make/model a shot. If it's something I'm doing, I can't experiment any more.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 04:28 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Hmmm...I've got a 14 yr old Rival that always performs excellently. In fact, I've been afraid to upgrade b/c this one does so well. (It has a plastic lid that cracked, so I covered it with tin foil in the hopes to keep this one going a bit longer!)
Mine must be older than yours because I have a glass lid.

I guess I'll give it Goodwill and resign myself to cooking with the stove, the oven, or the grill.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 06:50 PM  
Erica H.

I bought this one last year and love it. http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach...ch+stay+and+go

My oldest son bought the same one and another son bought the same one in a smaller size. We are all very happy with them.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 09:25 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
This is a good thread. I have had the same crockpot for over 10 years, I don't use it a ton but it does come in handy. I would like to use it more actually.

I have thought of replacing it with one that has the removable inside. I think I will just keep it, still works well!
I've also thought of replacing mine that I purchased over 10 years ago. It cooks perfectly every time but I was just going to get a prettier shinier stainless steal model. Mine does have the removable bowl so I really have no reason to replace it. Now, because of this thread, I won't........

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 05:18 AM  
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I can make a roast in the oven, and it's perfect. I can cook a chicken in the oven, and it's perfect. I can cook a pork loin in the oven, and it's perfect. I can grill steak and chicken breasts, and they are perfection. Any time I try to cook meat in a crockpot, I end up throwing the meat away because the texture grosses me out.\
Certain cuts of meat are better suited to crockpot cooking than others. The ones you mentioned are probably better prepared by roasting or grilling. For crockpot cooking you want fattier meats with lots of connective tissue. Think pork shoulder, pot roast, chicken thighs, ribs, brisket and things like that.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 12:55 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Certain cuts of meat are better suited to crockpot cooking than others. The ones you mentioned are probably better prepared by roasting or grilling. For crockpot cooking you want fattier meats with lots of connective tissue. Think pork shoulder, pot roast, chicken thighs, ribs, brisket and things like that.
Hey, good point. Picking the right meat to prepare is crucial.

Cheaper cuts work well in the crock pot. Anything that tolerates long, slow cooking.

Chicken breasts? Tend to over cook and get dry and chalky. Thighs are better when braising.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 01:24 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

DD bought me a new programmable one for Christmas last year. I love it! It automatically turns itself to warm after the programed time is up. It is hot here a good part of the year and I have been using it a lot. Well, until both of my boys moved out. Now, for DH and I, it is really too big. I need a smaller one now! It is Crock Pot brand, and she got it at Walmart. Can't remember the price on it though. I think it is under $100.00

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 01:33 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Hey, good point. Picking the right meat to prepare is crucial.

Cheaper cuts work well in the crock pot. Anything that tolerates long, slow cooking.
Yup, we do lots of of pork shoulder and brisket and let it sit in the slow cooker for a long time.

I have a 7-qt All-Clad slow cooker and it works well for DH and I. The size is nice because it can accommodate his big chunks of meat. I just seem to use for small batches of soup, so it's a bit overkill for me. But the low setting doesn't seem to get too hot, it's just right. Really awesome purchase.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crockpot, off topic, recipe, recipe box, soup