Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-14, 09:48 PM  
missaulnier

Edit: What's your favorite *medium* hand weight workout?

I'm posting a lot lately because I'm in the home stretch to reach my fitness goals by the end of June. I only have 4-5 more pounds to lose but I'm losing steam with my eating and my rotation. I was thinking about doing some slower/heavier weight work to mix things up. I'm thinking 8-10 lb weight work. anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: I changed the title of this thread because after reading some of the replies I realized that I should have said that I'm in the market for medium hand weight workouts. I don't have a home gym (total living room exerciser) and cant do heavy lifting at the moment due to pelvic floor stuff and lack of expertise. So I'm looking for alternatives to my usual light weight/high rep workouts.

I found that Debbie Seibers uses medium weights in both Shape it Up! and Mix it Up! in Slim Series, which I own, so Yay! And again, any other suggestions are welcome!
missaulnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-14, 10:16 PM  
BunnyHop

Kelly Coffey Meyer has a new one that might be just what you're looking for.

Muscle UP
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 01:26 AM  
missaulnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Kelly Coffey Meyer has a new one that might be just what you're looking for.

Muscle UP
Oooh, thanks BunnyHop! I see that her 30MTF Weights workout has great reviews, too. I don't have any KCM in my collection at all so this might be the moment to start.
missaulnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 01:31 AM  
suzannaerin

STS Strength phase of the STS series. Also, on Cathe's Push/Pull workout, there is a 3-set upper body premix with a steady rep pace that allows you to use heavy weight.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 08:08 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
STS Strength phase of the STS series. Also, on Cathe's Push/Pull workout, there is a 3-set upper body premix with a steady rep pace that allows you to use heavy weight.
Those two are good suggestions. Cathe's Slow and Heavy is also one you may want to check out. And, I've never tried it (although I really want to), but I've read good things about Body Beast here on VF.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 08:12 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Power Body: Rob Glick's Strength Training is a favorite of mine. I try to include it when I'm focusing on heavier strength workouts. He makes me smile while I sweat up a storm and work hard.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 08:51 AM  
adrien_73

Cathe's Muscle Max is my absolute favorite, hands down!!!
I can now lift heavier with this and usually go up to a 35# bar for lower body and up to 15# for chest. (I had to work up to that though!)

I also love kettlebells for heavier weight training. AOS Providence is my favorite in this category.

I am now in the midst of a TA Meta rotation and miss these workouts very much...
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 09:14 AM  
BigBadBetty

I really like Kelly Coffey-Meyer's Muscle Definition and Split Sessions. I don't actually do Split Sessions as a split. I use one of her full body mixes. I think there is both a 45 and 35 minute full body premix. I don't like her Weights as well because I have wrist issues. I have to make more substitutions on that one. It's a perfectly good workout for most people. I think for her Muscle Up that would want something heavier than 8 to 10 lbs. I am intermediate level. I used 12 to 15. I could have used something heavier for the back.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 09:17 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaulnier View Post
Oooh, thanks BunnyHop! I see that her 30MTF Weights workout has great reviews, too. I don't have any KCM in my collection at all so this might be the moment to start.
Weights is one of my favorites, not sure how heavy you could go with it, though. (The new one is designed for lifting heavier)

I really like the style of Kelly's workouts. The workouts themselves are well designed, and her pre-mixes are a great way to get a longer workout, or one with a slightly different focus.

Then again, now that I re-read your OP, I'll also suggest Jari Love's original Get Ripped. They use dumbbells or barbells, and IIRC, one of the exercisers is lifting 40 pounds at one point. It's a longer workout than the 30 minute sort, but for me, the time flys by. (I use my step as a weight bench.)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 09:30 AM  
red1013

Cathe's 4 Day Split has some really great heavier weight work. I hadn't done this one in a couple of years and I loved it!