Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-22, 05:38 PM  
Lori_Michigan

If it's sunny and there's no ice on my park's walkways, I just layer up wear ear protection and a hat, and also liners in my gloves (Lands End makes a good liner). I wear long underwear near daily (again, Lands End), so I make sure I've got those on, too. My favorite socks are Darn Tough boot socks, which I again wear every day from November to April!

Here in Michigan, the 20s seem balmy right now!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 06:41 PM  
star117

We wear alot of smartwool brand layers/socks to cold weather football games
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 09:11 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
I started a walk at sunrise this past year and am now addicted to it. Such a great way to start the day. There's a book called "Rise and Run" which I've amended to Rise and Walk about the myriad of health benefits of getting outside to exercise early.
I live in Arizona so my problem is sometimes in summer the overnight low is 94-with humidity-which greatly shortens my walk in the summer. In winter, I glory in the 45 degree crisp cool air however. I used to live in Colorado and I remember you just have to layer up and especially keep your head, face, hands and feet warm to prevent frostbite!
I have to admit, 45 is too cold for me! I have to wait until later in the day in the winter. Although, walking at sunrise sounds nice. But I can relate to the summer temps. When we used to have dogs, it was pretty tough walking them at 6 am when it was 90 degrees.
Old 01-21-22, 09:12 PM  
loulou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
I so want to do this but I have been too chicken to go outside below 40. Can someone be willing to share specific clothing and brand recommendations to get started? Thanks!
Most of my gear has been accumulated over the years and brands differ. I used to love Under Armour cold gear but the quality went downhill for awhile. Haven't tried them recently.

Backcountry.com is a great resource for winter gear and sporting goods. Reviews are helpful for fit and such. Their outlet site steepandcheap.com has some good deals but don't list reviews. The reviews are on the Backcountry site.

I bought a really warm down coat on Eddie Bauer. Looks like they have a end of season sale going on right now..
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 09:41 PM  
Gams

For me, I have found that as long as I layer it doesn’t matter what brand of clothing I wear and usually it’s a long underwear top, a sweatshirt and a jacket. When it’s really really cold I always wear a pair of mittens over my gloves.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 10:08 PM  
bjones

Wear ear muffs over your fleece beanie hat. Really makes a difference.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 10:14 PM  
Vantreesta

I agree with Gams, the brand doesn't really matter. I don't know what brand my fleece lined leggings are but when it isn't as cold as recently I just wear the leggings or capris I wear for workouts. For hiking and snowshoeing I wear Smartwool socks but for dog walks I just wear regular everyday socks no matter how cold it is. That's what awesome snowboots do for you! (That is the one thing I'm particular about brand on. I always get Columbia.) This year when it's cold and windy I started wearing an earwarmer under my fleece hat bc my hats push up some so my ears don't stay covered. The earwamer fixes that.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 05:09 AM  
Elsie

Lifelong Outside Walker here. In greater Vancouver, so doesn't ever get truly cold. I'm also the opposite where I only avoid walking when the UV is too strong for me in July/August. Lol. I think for wintery sidewalks, trails etc., comfortable and good traction footwear is key along with a non-sweaty hat!! I have those strap on traction thingies that I put on my boots.
Elsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 07:22 AM  
Tugger31

https://www.verywellfit.com/how-to-d...alking-3435229
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 08:39 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I wear 2 pair of fleece-lined leggings, a cotton turtleneck tucked into my leggings, a fleece-lined zip-up turtleneck top, a down knee-length jacket with a hood, a stocking hat, and a scarf around my face. Also, wool socks and winter hiking boots. This is when it's below 20. Brand doesn't matter, although I'd like to find lighter weight cold-weather clothing that doesn't make me feel like the Michelin man. It's a bit restrictive being so bundled up!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, outdoor walking