Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-22, 09:29 PM  
Izzy

I walk, outside, almost everyday. I will walk or have walked up to 5 degrees. Like others said wind makes a huge difference. There are days when it’s 30 and windy and damp and it’s brutal.

I now have a walk buddy and we start at 6. If she skips I go at 5:30. It’s funny when we started she said “I won’t go lower than 40.” I got her outside at 11. She’s now addicted like me.

If there is a lot of ice we don’t go or if it’s raining. Then we go to a gym and walk the track. We prefer outside.

We layer up. It’s not bad when you get out there. I find over 80 and humid much harder.

I love it. Both mentally and physically it has helped me immensely.
Old 01-20-22, 09:37 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Negative 22! Dang...my dogs would just want back inside at that temp. Even they have their limits.
We did only walk a mile bc my boy is tough but that's still cold and I don't want anything to happen. He complains about walking when it's 70 but is all good with the cold most of them time. Like his mama! One day was even colder though and he was on three feet trying to do his business then wanted to keep walking. I told him no way, tripod boy! If you can't keep all four on the floor to poo we're going back home! It makes a big difference for him if he has to walk in snow vs clear sidewalks or streets. I have put my bare hand on the clear sidewalk to make sure it won't freeze him. I've been lucky, all my dogs over the years have done well with the cold. Only one had to wear booties bc his feet were cold, but with those on he was good to go. (Quite comical how he reacted to them until he discovered his feet weren't cold!)

ETA: Just to be clear, I do keep an eye on him for signs of being too cold. If he seems cold, doesn't want to go at all or turns back to home I abort the walk and go home or don't go at all.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 10:49 PM  
bjones

I started a walk at sunrise this past year and am now addicted to it. Such a great way to start the day. There's a book called "Rise and Run" which I've amended to Rise and Walk about the myriad of health benefits of getting outside to exercise early.
I live in Arizona so my problem is sometimes in summer the overnight low is 94-with humidity-which greatly shortens my walk in the summer. In winter, I glory in the 45 degree crisp cool air however. I used to live in Colorado and I remember you just have to layer up and especially keep your head, face, hands and feet warm to prevent frostbite!
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 12:24 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
I started a walk at sunrise this past year and am now addicted to it. Such a great way to start the day. There's a book called "Rise and Run" which I've amended to Rise and Walk about the myriad of health benefits of getting outside to exercise early.
I live in Arizona so my problem is sometimes in summer the overnight low is 94-with humidity-which greatly shortens my walk in the summer. In winter, I glory in the 45 degree crisp cool air however. I used to live in Colorado and I remember you just have to layer up and especially keep your head, face, hands and feet warm to prevent frostbite!
Yes, that is the worst part when it's this cold. I can easily wear enough layers on my body to keep plenty warm but there's only so much I can do about my face since I have to wear glasses. I cover my lower face with a scarf until my glasses fog. If they actually get frosted there's no fix till they warm up so I have to periodically take my face out of the scarf. Brr!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 10:32 AM  
anetta

I wear layers and use hothands-love these.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 12:21 PM  
Mickey12

Having the sun out makes a huge difference. It can be quite pleasant.
Old 01-21-22, 01:00 PM  
AprilCleo

Thanks for all the responses. I really hate winter and I feel like a caged animal because of the cold, snow and getting dark so early. I would listen to an audio book and walk for 4 or 5 miles every other day. I felt good physically and mentally when I was able to do that.

I will try putting on layers and see what happens.
AprilCleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 01:20 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilCleo View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I really hate winter and I feel like a caged animal because of the cold, snow and getting dark so early. I would listen to an audio book and walk for 4 or 5 miles every other day. I felt good physically and mentally when I was able to do that.

I will try putting on layers and see what happens.
The shortest day of the year is my favorite because I know the days are starting to get longer. This is what mentality pushes me past that “everything is cold and dark” thinking. I try to do walks when I can in the afternoon when it’s sunny and warmer. I listen to audiobooks too. Keep with it. Soon it will be lighter and warmer.
Old 01-21-22, 01:25 PM  
Gams

Winter weather can be very strange. It was 13 below zero this morning when I got up. It’s above zero now but we won’t hit today’s high temperature until just before midnight when it’s supposed to be 14 above zero.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 04:45 PM  
pharma_gal

I so want to do this but I have been too chicken to go outside below 40. Can someone be willing to share specific clothing and brand recommendations to get started? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, outdoor walking