Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-21, 10:43 AM  
bfit

What is Callanetics like?

What is Callanetics? Is it like barre at all? There's a DVD marked down on the Total Fitness DVDs site, but there's no video clip.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-21, 11:44 AM  
fanofladyvols

I think collage has a short clip. You might check there.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-21, 11:56 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i assume you're referring to the DVDs led by its founder, Callan Pinckney.

Callan Pinckney was a student of Lydia Bach or Lotte Berk who taught live classes (someone can correct me here). Callanetics is barre - Callan was the first to put it in video format to make it available to consumers across the globe.

youtube has clips - this is the link to the very first DVD, the blue cover with "...10 years younger in 10 hours..." aka 10/10, released in the mid-80s. i had the betamax tape version when it came out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdg1...jk1eg8d55A8HHY

Callan leads these titles -
Beginning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swe6...5A8HHY&index=3

AM/PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr00...5A8HHY&index=5

Quick Callanetics (combo of Stomach, Hips/behind, legs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kjm...5A8HHY&index=4

Super Callanetics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q74...5A8HHY&index=2

Totalfitnessdvds has clips of DVDs led by Sandra Hanna & Sara Cooperman (Evolution and they did another DVD, Cardio Callanetics) and Lacey Kondi (rebooted callanetics).

edited to add - VF thread - it has a photo of VFers who attended a live Lotte Berk class with Lydia in the photo:
Mysterious origins of barre workouts???

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-21, 12:19 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Callan worked with Lotte Berk in England. Lydia Bach brought the method to the US and owned a studio in NYC for decades. I always think of Callanetics as the predecessor to barre as we know it. Callan developed her own style based on Lotte's work and then Lydia developed her own version. Callan's big thing was getting into very specific positions and then doing very small movements.

Here's a YouTube clip from the short Hips and Behind Workout and one from the original Callanetics video workout called 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours. These will give you and idea of what Callan's old workout videos feel like.

Lydia was apparently very hard to work with and felt she owned the American version of barre. She did finally put out a series of DVDs that were pretty good, but by then several other people had left and opened studios and released workout videos. Fred and Elizabeth were former Lydia Bach instructors. Around the time of Lydia's videos Fit Boop organized a VF trip to Lydia's rural NY studio, later the Studio 57 studio after Lydia closed her operation, though as I remember, since no one prepaid for the class a bunch of people just didn't show up.

I had the original Callanetics video, the Beginner one, Super Callanetics and AM/PM on tape. Even as a beginner who liked instruction, the Beginner one drove me crazy with all of the instruction.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-21, 01:32 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I was going to ask the same question. Thanks for the background info. The problem I have is that I don't have a barre, and from the looks of things you have to hang on for dear life while doing very small movements. Is this correct? I would like to try it, but am not sure I have the right set up.
Old 10-28-21, 01:50 PM  
Ann1964

Jane
Google how to make Barre
My husband made me one & he said super easy
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-21, 02:17 PM  
Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I was going to ask the same question. Thanks for the background info. The problem I have is that I don't have a barre, and from the looks of things you have to hang on for dear life while doing very small movements. Is this correct? I would like to try it, but am not sure I have the right set up.
I've been doing Sandra Hanna's classes around 4 times a week since the beginning of May. Sandra says the barre is only there for a little support. Except for the body part you're working, the rest of the body should be totally relaxed. It's true, it's not easy to do at the beginning, especially the kneeling leg work. Those are a killer. I just used a sturdy chair at first with no problems.

I never thought I'd get into Callanetics but now I'm totally hooked, especially after seeing my lower body just totally slim down after only 3 months. I couldn't figure out at first why all my pants were falling down.

Karen Jo is right; there is a lot of instruction. Correct posture and alignment is super important to get results. I still have to concentrate hard to remember them all!

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-21, 02:42 PM  
donnamp

Twigs - are you doing the streaming workouts? If I recall, did you say it helped your back/hip?

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-21, 03:51 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

In the Beginners workout the set is like a living room and people are using chairs, a coffee table and even the front edge of a sofa. Callan does really emphasize to not put too much weight on your support. She wanted you to stay in a more beginner posture until you could progress without holding on for dear life. I have only done the newer Callanetics workouts a couple of times and I don't remember if they did anything that made the barre necessary.

Jeannine, good work on finding the thread and photo from the VF trip. I'm guessing we posted some of the same links.

Old 10-28-21, 03:59 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Here's a clip of Begining Callanetics showing more of the workout and use of furniture.

Tags
callan pinckney, callanetics, health barre, lotte berk