Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-21, 05:13 PM  
wendug

If your body can take tough workouts, kudos to you! I can lift heavier than I did in my 20s and feel like I can do some advanced workouts, but I take much longer in recovery. I can also injure myself easier these days (see post about gardening injury.) Just listen to your body. If your body is saying to continue with advanced workouts go for it! No need to downshift if you don't have to!
Old 05-20-21, 05:46 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I'm the same age, and life itself got in the way of whatever fitness plans I had.

Various injuries and health issues led me to periodically slow down or stop working out altogether for a while, and with each one, as I've gotten older, it's progressively more difficult to get back in fighting trim.

I'm learning that for me, slow and steady is the way to rebuild, and I think I'm seeing progress already, but I'm nowhere back to normal.

Had gotten in a trap of inadvertently overworking my body, taking time to recover then getting interrupted and overwhelmed with life events.

The way I see it, if you're healthy and strong enough to work out intensely, go for it!!! Keep up your strength and energy in whatever ways work for your body.
I could have written this minus the age. I am 53
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-21, 05:47 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
I say do not slow down just because of the calendar. I am 63 and like you have been doing more challenging workouts than ever.
I do not subscribe to this whole business of deciding what I can or canot do just because of age. That's ridiculous. If you feel good, keep challenging yourself.
I agree that it is all about how you feel. If intense workouts make your body feel good & strong, go for it. I had to scale back in order to feel good, and that serves my goals...no pain, good mobility, balance, flexibility, and weight maintenance.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-21, 06:44 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

62 here and still lifting what I consider fairly heavy for most workouts but recovery from DOMS takes longer.

Maybe it's an age thing but I've discovered I don't like fast paced weight workouts any longer. Slow(er) and steady is the name of the game for me now. I don't think it's because I've hit some magic age number but it's that I don't want to rush anymore. I feel like I've done that since I was in my 20's between marriage, working, kids, helping with elderly parents.

I used to do high impact step and loved it but something changed in my feet and I just can't anymore. I guess I "could" but why torture myself?
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-21, 08:28 PM  
BunnyHop

Another issue I think I'm learning about is my balance.

I recently got stability bars for my rebounder and have been eager to get on it, so maybe for me there are balance issues I'd not previously identified.

Still exploring that one, but it might also be part of why I prefer workouts with a more deliberate pace and a lack of rotating movements.
Old 05-20-21, 10:17 PM  
rhbrand

I think that's an personal thing.

I mean we have Earnestine Shepard the " World's Oldest Bodybuilder" who didn't even start training until she was 56 started competing in her 70s, runs about 70 miles a week,has done a few marathons, not only trains herself but also leads classes for people, and was just in a Beyonce video last year at 85.
I mean, doesn't sound like she's slowed down. Well, I guess she did "retire" from competitive bodybuilding LOL

And Joan MacDonald who started training in her 70s. I follow her on Instagram and YouTube, and she's amazing.
Old 05-21-21, 06:44 AM  
sciencelady

I'm 59 verging on 60 here. I used to do very intense exercising up to three years ago, then I needed a knee replacement, followed by a hip replacement last year. I tried recovering and redoing intense exercising after the knee replacement, but couldn't do all of my exercises and after the hip went out, I was reduced to just trying to walk my dog. I'm feeling well now walking 1-4 miles a day, but can't do a lot of floor exercises as getting up and down off the floor is difficult and I can't kneel on that knee. I've also got a shoulder that's going out with arthritis and limits my activities - when I get a cortisone shot in the shoulder, it's better, but I'm not trying to do kettlebells on that shoulder like I did three years ago. Sigh. I'm glad I can do normal life activities like taking care of my house and yard and keeping my dog happy with his walks. I'll occasionally do chair yoga offered in my community, but don't feel that's much...
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 09:29 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
I just hit the brakes recently. I was finding it hard to lose weight. My workouts were leaving me totally drained, even into the next day. I wasn't sleeping well and my body felt totaly stressed out. I will be 60 soon and I am post menopausal. I decided to try Pahla B's workouts for women over fifty. It took me about a week to wrap my head around "moderate workouts". I was a fitness instructor in the 90's and I just continued with my fitness philosophy to eat less and work out more. I just finished a 30 day challenge with Pahla. I lost 4 pounds, kept my muscle tone, and I feel so much better. The workouts that I use to love doing were now stressing my body and causing the weight gain. I am sleeping so much better and I have energy to do all the things I need/want to do daily. I am starting my second month of Pahla's workouts in hopes of losing a few more pounds. Her workouts have shown me that I really need to work on my balance/core.
Ugh I wish I was here. I love Pahla, but haven’t successfully wrapped my head around “moderate”. I don’t feel I beat myself up, but I love heavy weights and my barre3. Congrats to you!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 10:43 AM  
TinaT

Not really sure if I want to say I'm "slowing down". Rather, I've changed things up. I've brought Classical Stretch back into my life... on a more regular basis. I rebound for my main cardio through out the week. I'm also giving BBOD Barre Blend a fighting chance.

My body has told me to change what I do. I've set aside the FIRMs/Fitprimes and am choosing to use moments and methods that are more soothing and therapedic...but I still get a great calorie burn and toning effect. If I loose weight then it's a bonus at this point.

I've changed my overall focus to healthy movement and mobility vs weight loss. I want to hike, ride my Ebike and play with my grandchildren without limits. I think my recent plan will give me that.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 11:09 AM  
cailleach

54 here

I love lifting and push myself but recently am discovering it taking longer to recover. I would end up resorting to different video when realizing my body just wasn't up to doing weights that day.

I don't like the timed routines where you try to do so many reps, like Crossfit. I cringe when I see some of their routines. It's so easy to lose the form. After my shoulder impediment surgery, I like to take my time to make sure the form is correct.

I still do step cardio but with no risers. My knees has had enough of the high impact I've done in my younger years. I still do high impact occasionally, maybe once or twice a month.

Thanks to genetics, my body has changed its look and I've...adjusted.
But this is the only body I get. As long I can move, I'm good.
cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, intensity, low intensity, tennis elbow