Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-21, 07:40 AM  
Erica H.

Night sweats post-menopause?

I'm 53 and went through menopause around five years ago. Since then, I've had night sweats on and off, but they were light. Recently, I've been having frequent night sweats that are much heavier - sometimes I'll wake up absolutely drenched, other times I'm just damp, but I have to change because I get chilled.

Just wondering if others experience this after menopause also. I don't know if it's hormonal or a blood sugar issue or something else.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 11:04 AM  
star117

I'm not menopausal yet, pre- I guess. But I've had night sweats for years. Recently I've also been having hot flashes (?) at night. I thought maybe it was because I'd increased the intensity for my workout rotation and my metabolism was up and or muscles were in repair mode, but idk. Sorry, I know that wasn't helpful but wanted you to know you're not alone. I'll be 53 in April.
Diana
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 11:46 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star117 View Post
I'm not menopausal yet, pre- I guess. But I've had night sweats for years. Recently I've also been having hot flashes (?) at night. I thought maybe it was because I'd increased the intensity for my workout rotation and my metabolism was up and or muscles were in repair mode, but idk. Sorry, I know that wasn't helpful but wanted you to know you're not alone. I'll be 53 in April.
Diana
Thanks! I just thought the night sweats would stop once I was fully into menopause, but maybe not.

Erica
Old 01-10-21, 12:53 PM  
fanofladyvols

I haven't had them drench me..just damp. Sorry, Erica :-(

The first step I take with different symptoms like that (and would suggest to you) is to document and assess what you're eating, and timing of meals to bedtime, and activity level to see if there is a pattern or shift that sets that in motion.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 03:17 PM  
Terry

If you happen to also have very mild cold symptoms, it could be covid. I had covid (tested) and the mild cold symptoms were hardly even annoying, but the night sweats were as bad as post-pregnancy and worse than menopause, at least for me. This virus is weird and hits people differently. Night sweats aren’t on the standard list of symptoms but people post about them online and there are a few papers that point at night sweats with covid. Nobody with night sweats got very sick at all.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 03:26 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
If you happen to also have very mild cold symptoms, it could be covid. I had covid (tested) and the mild cold symptoms were hardly even annoying, but the night sweats were as bad as post-pregnancy and worse than menopause, at least for me. This virus is weird and hits people differently. Night sweats aren’t on the standard list of symptoms but people post about them online and there are a few papers that point at night sweats with covid. Nobody with night sweats got very sick at all.
I've heard that too, but I think it's highly unlikely that I have covid. We've been very isolated and careful. No symptoms at all, but I've had wonky bloodwork since September, unfortunately. I'm glad your covid symptoms were mild. Those night sweats are awful - I can't believe how drenched I am when I wake up. I just told DH today that I sweat way more in my sleep than I do when I exercise.

Erica
Old 01-10-21, 08:25 PM  
cttx31

>I haven't had them drench me..just damp.

Same here. I'm 57 and 3 years since last cycle, so that makes me 2 years officially in menopause. Many nights I wake up damp (neckline, behind knees etc) and the top edge of the sheet is also damp. Not soaked, but damp enough to have to change pajamas.
cttx31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 08:52 PM  
LoveVA

I entered menopause 8 years ago and I still have night sweats. They are less severe but they still exist. I deal with it by sleeping with a fan blowing on me. I would say that every few months or so I have a night where I have to change PJs.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 08:54 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttx31 View Post
>IMany nights I wake up damp (neckline, behind knees etc) and the top edge of the sheet is also damp. Not soaked, but damp enough to have to change pajamas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
I entered menopause 8 years ago and I still have night sweats. They are less severe but they still exist. I deal with it by sleeping with a fan blowing on me. I would say that every few months or so I have a night where I have to change PJs.
Thank you! Seems like this is common and nothing to worry about then.

Erica
Old 01-10-21, 10:02 PM  
Diana3271

Yes, I think they are very common. I am probably 3 years post menopausal. I have had very few hot flashes in my life. But for years prior to stopping my cycle I had night sweats. A lot of times when I woke hot I couldn't go back to sleep. Now post menopausal I still have night sweats. I'm not drenched, just very warm. I have not been able to find a solution with fans or anything like that. No matter what I do, I will get hot in the middle of the night.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, menopause sleep issues, night sweats, perimenopause, post-menopause