Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-20, 02:46 PM  
Tugger31

Thumbs up Walk your way to slimmer thighs

I had surgery in October and I am not allowed to do ANY high impact activities at all for at least 6 months. As I have been recovering I have been doing Jessica and walking outdoors for my cardio. I have been increasing my mileage and speed and always choose to walk outside as long as it's not raining or too frigid. (I'm finding 35-40 degrees if it's sunny is the best bare minimum walking temp depending on the layers I'm wearing). Anyway, my thighs have gotten much slimmer. I am sure some is due to loss of muscle bulk b/c I haven't been doing much heavy leg work either, but I have been doing things like Cathe's To The Mat and the Butt Bible with lighter weights. This is the best my legs have looked in a long time! I have mostly been walking 2-3 miles a few times a week for the past few months. Last week I walked 4 miles and today I got in 5 miles. Just thought I'd share. Plus, it's nice to get outside and walk for stress relief these days.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 02:58 PM  
BunnyHop

I've been limited to walking for a pretty good while now, and only recently realized how much strength I've gained. What a relief to realize that this really is good exercise.
Old 03-28-20, 04:42 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

very inspirational.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 04:44 PM  
Tugger31

This is a big thing for me b/c I've always had big thighs. Even if I lose weight my body type is never going to be one to have "long, lean muscles". Last time my legs were looking this good is when I was walking and alternating Cathe's Lean Legs and her Great Glutes each once a week either unweighted or very light weights. I was also doing Ballet Beautiful a few times a week too. Prior to that I was pretty much doing step, plyo and heavy weights for legs and stuck with it b/c so many people say it would do great things for me and that my "big" legs was just fat around the muscle. Well, for me, that's just not true. Different strokes for different folks!
Old 03-28-20, 05:15 PM  
Gams

I like walking, but never saw any physical changes from it. I used to walk 3 miles uphill to work and then 3 miles downhill to go home. I did that 5 days a week for a long time. It was good for me I’m sure, but never saw any changes in my body.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 05:25 PM  
Tugger31

Like I said, different strokes for different folks. I will add that my walking is definitely "power walking" not crazy speed walking, but definitely at a clip. Not sure I'd see the results I am seeing with a slower, stroll pace.
Old 03-28-20, 06:57 PM  
Vantreesta

I wish walking made my legs look better. I briskly walk 3-6 miles every day with my dog and have been doing this since 2006, only missing if I'm not home or weather is unsafe, and my thighs and calves are still big. I suppose they could be worse without the walking, I don't know. I'm glad it has helped you, though!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 07:51 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Nice! Very cool that you sort of inadvertently found something that works for you. I'm envious!
Old 04-11-20, 06:26 PM  
katmom

Wow, Tugger, I could have written this same post. I had surgery late February. No inversion poses, no high impact, no lifting more than 10lbs. Walking was my only means of fitness. When weather did not cooperate, I used Jessicasmithtv walking workouts sometimes twice a day. I was working from home (work in IT) after taking week off for surgery. On March 9, orders came to work from home (yeah) so I continued walking up to twice a day. After post-op telehealth visit on March 30, I was released to use heavier weights, but so far I have stayed with light weights. My hips and thighs have decreased in size as well as decreasing some of my joint pain. Now I wonder if I need to rethink my fitness regimen. BTW, I am 66 years young.
Old 04-11-20, 06:44 PM  
Tugger31

That's great katmom! I haven't had full clearance yet. My 6 month progress xray had to be postponed b/c of COVID. My doc already said "full" clearance will still be no deadlifts, no crunches and only sporadic impact, ie. can lightly jog for a minute and then walk for a few etc. I'm not even sure if I get the green light I'm going to ever go back to more impact. I have some spinal disc issues that I can further damage and then need another surgery and it's honestly just not worth it. I'm feeling good and losing weight and not exhausted. I do miss my traditional ab work and that feeling of strength from lifting heavier, but I can lift 15 lb db's for chest presses for a few reps now

Tags
outdoor walking, success stories, thigh slimming, thighs, walking