Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-19, 12:31 AM  
Kiwi Katie

Too much choice and a walk down memory lane

I'm sure this must have been discussed many times here: I frequently find myself paralyzed by all the fitness choice we have nowadays - something I could only have dreamed about years ago.

As a teen in 1980's New Zealand I used to buy Shape magazine and was mesmerized by the ads - particularly the one advertising Firm Vol. 1 with Susan Harris on the cover - oh how I wanted that! However it was too expensive and just about impossible to obtain. NZ did eventually have fitness videos but they were generally dull, and beginner-level.

I discovered VF in about 1996 when I also got dial-up internet, had heard about power yoga and was on a mission to buy my first video direct from the US (which was a Bryan Kest one). At that time I was a poor student so a tight budget, NZD/USD exchange rates and high shipping costs meant that I only grew my collection slowly. For a long time I was perfectly content with a rotation of Gin Miller's Intense Moves, a couple of Firm workouts, Bryan Kest, one of Cathy's earlier workouts and Karen Voight's Energy Sprint.

This afternoon I stood in my workout area, looked at my bookshelf and thought about doing a Firm workout..but which one? I said I was going to focus more on barre at the moment so maybe P57...but I still have my Openfit subscription so it should be Xtend Barre. But I'm not really enjoying it - I'm taking adult ballet classes so perhaps I should be doing a Lazy Dancer workout to brush up on technique. However my trial Tracey Mallet sub is just about at an end so I'll do one of her workouts. Or the barre workout on Les Mills on Demand? I never seem to do that. And I do have a cheap gym membership as sometimes I just like to use their treadmill. Though there is a good reformer class on in town tonight.

If you read that far you might be wondering what I finally did.

I sat down and had a cup of tea and a piece of cake and reminisced about the good old days when I had far less choice ;-)
Kiwi Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 02:43 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I used to jump on the bandwagon when something new came out and ended up being overwhelmed by too many dvds & too many choices. I find the opposite now as I’ve truly learned what works for me and what doesn’t. I have stopped buying DVDs and am getting set for a major purge as I’m moving next year. I do buy the occasional download from one of my few favourite instructors. I stream from a few different sites, got some really good Black Friday deals last year. I have two sites I will let renew automatically. One site I subscribe sporadically as it’s easy to start and stop. When the other one runs out, I might see what deals are out there again on BF. I travel a lot so streaming works great for me.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 03:03 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

(virtual arm around your shoulders), yes, i understand.

my default workout is walking outside for 30-40 min. sometimes, i'll watch a movie on TV and do my own dumbbell workout.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 04:46 AM  
Gams

I got back into regularly exercising last October and I’ve purchased a lot of DVDs since then. I have favorite instructors but I still like variety. It’s pretty easy for me to look over my workouts and pick the one I feel like doing that day. I understand being overwhelmed by options, though - it’s why I don’t go to buffets often.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 05:05 AM  
MariC

Katie. I Love your post. Very well written. How true this is for many of us.
I find myself doing the same thing different Vhs tapes, dvd’s and equipment at times. Oh yes all of the different choices available these days.
Thank you so much for providing me with not only laughs this morning but
fond memories

MariC
MariC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 06:23 AM  
Rhonda

Memories of when I first started on the fitness journey. So many years ago. I have way too many DVDs and need to start purging as we are thinking about moving next year and I don't need or use most of the DVDs. I just need to go through them and figure out what can I get rid of that I forgot I had and is boxed away.

I don't stream much as I get tired of the same workouts. I did BB on demand and Les Mills on demand and have decided not to renew as BB I rarely use and Les Mills I was using a lot and for the past few months haven't used it much.

I do have Peloton and love the treadmill workouts so will keep that one.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 06:40 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Katie View Post
I sat down and had a cup of tea and a piece of cake and reminisced about the good old days when I had far less choice ;-)
Great story. Oh man, can I relate.
Old 08-28-19, 07:46 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I can relate!

But I have a new problem now - I've come to grips with what I am actually using and have narrowed down my interests substantially - and sold or mostly given away quite a few videos - but what do I do with the remaining ones I'm still attached to and never use? Sigh.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 08:44 AM  
laurajhawk

I tend to narrow my focus to two instructors/systems at a time, and only do something else if it calls to me. For the last month or more, I've been alternating LIIFT4 and Gilad, although this morning I did RaviAna 'cause I needed it, and last Friday I did Cathe legs 'cause I didn't want the LIIFT4 that was next in the rotation. I do feel like most of my collection is going underutilized at the moment (whilst I buy even more Gilad, lol), but I'll eventually get to most of them, when I'm feeling done with these.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 09:00 AM  
sillygirl

I'm on the same boat. Please let me know if you find a solution. Between tons of virgin DVDs, multiple streaming sites, a Club Pilates membership - things are getting just a little out of hand. I found a spreadsheet I made a few years ago with all the DVD programs I have and if I did them all back-to-back I could be working out for 4 years straight!
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
analysis paralysis, large collection, too many dvds, too many options