Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-19, 07:17 PM  
calendria

Leslie Sansone vs treadmill

I was wondering if anyone has compared doing Leslie Sansone walking videos vs treadmill workouts.

stationary bike hurts my knees and back really badly.

I would love some help and advice on this one.
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 09:11 PM  
bjones

They are very comparable if you use no to a low incline. Where the treadmill really shines in comparison to Leslie is when you crank up the incline-it really spikes your heart rate. That said, Leslie's mile pace(beats per minute) is so fast I do get my heart rate into the zone I like.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 01:01 AM  
calendria

I was actually thinking of using an incline or hill method or whatever at a slow pace for longer or whatever.

But now i'm scared because now walking is bad for the hips? my grandma said it hurt her back and hips. so now I have no idea of what to do.
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 06:32 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Have you tried any of Leslie’s walks to see how they feel? She does have a number of freebies on YouTube.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 08:27 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I did 3 Leslie miles yesterday and was dying! I couldn’t tell from your post if you’ve done Leslie before, but it’s definitely a cardio workout and not just plain old walking. Her walks include side steps, kicks, kickbacks, knee ups, tap outs, mild jogging, HIIT training and other non-walking moves - many while doing upper body moves. Can’t do all that on a treadmill.

A while back, I did nothing but Leslie with 1# handweights for almost a year, had an echocardiogram, and the doc told me it was obvious I worked out “a lot” because of my heartbeat. She even had me get off the treadmill before the point of total collapse because it was taking me so long to get to that point. I guess Leslie contributed to my cardiovascular health!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 09:01 AM  
Demeris

A Leslie Sansone mile is a lot tougher than merely walking a mile. And it's shorter, about five minutes shorter for me.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 09:15 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendria View Post
I was actually thinking of using an incline or hill method or whatever at a slow pace for longer or whatever.

But now i'm scared because now walking is bad for the hips? my grandma said it hurt her back and hips. so now I have no idea of what to do.
It’s possible that if a stationary bike hurt your back and knees a treadmill on an incline could do the same. Obviously you could try it and be cautious. Another positive with walking workouts is that you aren’t doing the exact same movements the entire time.

I personally don’t believe that walking is bad for the hips and knees. We’re designed to walk. What can happen is that our glute medius and minimus are week and if we build up too quickly or walk on uneven terrain it makes our hips hurt. Weak spinal erectors, forward lean or gait irregularities can lead to back pain after walking. Actually right or uneven calf flexibility can cause pain with walking or exercise.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 09:58 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
It’s possible that if a stationary bike hurt your back and knees a treadmill on an incline could do the same. Obviously you could try it and be cautious. Another positive with walking workouts is that you aren’t doing the exact same movements the entire time.

I personally don’t believe that walking is bad for the hips and knees. We’re designed to walk. What can happen is that our glute medius and minimus are week and if we build up too quickly or walk on uneven terrain it makes our hips hurt. Weak spinal erectors, forward lean or gait irregularities can lead to back pain after walking. Actually right or uneven calf flexibility can cause pain with walking or exercise.
Agree!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-19, 10:04 AM  
kat999

I loathe treadmills. I only use them if I'm on vacation and am stuck in a hotel with a gym; that's how I get my cardio workouts in (although I have a 3-mile Leslie video on my laptop that I'll sometimes do in my room instead). I prefer walking, jogging, and running on a local bike path to doing indoor videos, however, but I've tested out the difference, and it's kind of remarkable. I do both Leslie and Jessica Smith walking videos, and I consistently burn WAY more calories with those than I do with either jogging outside or using a treadmill at no incline when paced at 4 MPH (which is essentially Leslie's mileage). If I use any incline, then the treadmill wins as far as calorie burn, but I find it's such a tougher workout that for me personally, I can only sustain an incline workout for about thirty minutes max. Both outdoor cardio and indoor videos, I can go almost two hours before I feel total exhaustion, which for me means overall more calories get burned at that steady state rate. Endurance for me is more important than a quick but unsustainable pace/incline, so I much prefer no treadmill at all.

Doing a walking video is, however, boring, to be honest. No matter how much Leslie or Jessica or whomever breaks it up, it's a workout type that I almost always now put on mute and listen to audiobooks or podcasts, watching intently for the cues to change footwork/arms. Outdoors may result in lower calorie burn, but the benefit of the scenery and fresh air makes it worthwhile and fun.
Old 04-13-19, 11:09 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Calendria,

I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I don't think you and I have the same injury, but treadmill walking give me some hard to define trouble, and walking workouts are also not the best idea for back trouble as walking in place causes the psoas to tighten. For working out indoors I prefer dance workouts which I think lessens the problem a little since you aren't constantly doing the marching movement. If I use an exercise machine I prefer the elliptical as it is easier on the joints, but it does execise the body differently than walking. But with spring here what do you think of walking outside?
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leslie vs treadmill, mile equivalency, outdoor walking, treadmill vs leslie