Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-07-18, 04:12 AM  
dmlarue1

I did a massive purge of my collection and feel better

Hi all!
At the balanced life our monthly mission is declutter. I realized I had to do this to my fitness DVDs.
I was holding on to so many despite

It had some high impact which I can’t do
It hurt my knees
It was supposed to give some great result (but I hated or dreaded it)
I had sentimental attachment
I felt like I had to get my moneys worth
I felt like I had to have every dvd from an instructor I liked
This may go out of print
I may like it some day
I was a so so workout..I didn’t hate it but I wasn’t in love with it
I never really liked this style of workout honestly

So I looked at everything and said does this make me smile?
If it did it stayed. I was able to cut down from two large binders to one and donate to our neighborhood mini library box. I still have plenty of stuff in every category.

They weren’t taking up much physical space since they were in binder sleeves but they were taking up psychological space. I have had this collection for over 20 years and I need to let it change as I change

Dee
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 06:55 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I want to do this, it wouldn't be a massive purge because my collection isn't really that big but I would like to whittle down to the bare essentials.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 07:01 AM  
mandie123

I've been doing that also for the last 6 months,trying to minimize as I get older,and knowing certain workouts i'am not going to be able to do anymore.Donated alot to local library
Old 04-07-18, 07:36 AM  
furmomof6

Good for you, Dee! I did this over the course of the past year as well. I have to face my limitations and stop re-acquiring things I can't do just because I wish I could! I'm down to 2 DVD's and 2 streaming subscriptions, and it feels great!! Too many choices = stress for me. Being realistic and only keeping what I can do and enjoy = peace!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 07:54 AM  
sherry7899

Christine, that is amazing! I could never purge down to two dvds.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 08:16 AM  
furmomof6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Christine, that is amazing! I could never purge down to two dvds.
I think I was able to do it because I found my love in streaming Pilates. The two DVDs I have are from kind VF'ers!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 09:17 AM  
bubbles76

I am trying to purge. I have a list at Roost up right now. The problem with my dvds is that most of them either fill me with joy or puzzlement, as I have not done them yet. I have a big virgin pile
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 09:20 AM  
Calistro

This is something I need to do also, but in itself has a high dread factor
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 09:30 AM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calistro View Post
This is something I need to do also, but in itself has a high dread factor
Same here...the other part holding me back is that I feel like DVDs are a dying breed so I better hold on to what I've got instead of regret purging later.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 09:51 AM  
Kizzy

After reading Simply Clean I purged my workout collection a few weeks ago. I had 2 large garbage bags full that went to the Salvation Army. I didn't have the heart to count how many I was getting rid of. I've discovered that my go to workouts are either filmed outside,or in a room that has a view to outside, or a nice bright studio. I love Jessica Smith and own all but the ones that were filmed in the studio a few years ago. I'm soon to be 61 and her workouts with modification if needed will be doable as I age. I kept all my firms though. Even though I haven't done them in ages. I still have almost 3 large sized tubs full so I feel I have plenty to rotate and not be bored when DVD's are no longer produced. I think I am worrying more about the DVD and VHS players being available. I was ready to buy a VHS and DVD converter/burner and they quit making them!!! Now we are checking out all the Good Will's for nice VHS players. LOL!
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large collection