Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-16, 04:16 PM  
Calistro

Letting go of dvd cases?

Hi everyone,

I know this sounds crazy, but have probably around 600+ dvds including sets (I have stopped counting) but I am running out of space for them.

I have them stored in plastic container under my bed as I do not want to put them on display in a cabinet due to my friends and family seeing them and turning it into a conversation piece and not in a positive way.
They would not understand the life of a vidiot.

I am thinking about dvd storage cases and throwing away the plastic cases, and perhaps keeping the cover art.

has anyone removed all their dvds from the cases and thrown away the cases, and do you have regrets?

I love looking at the dvds in the cases with the cover art and choosing which one to do, and I am already mourning the idea of getting rid of the cases, but I could condense the dvds into a smaller case and have more space without storing everything under the bed.

I know what the answer is already really, I need to store them in a more compact fashion otherwise I have to get rid of a lot of dvds just to increase space, but I have not accepted not being able to look at the pretty covers over the dvds.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 04:32 PM  
diggerholliday

Maybe compromised?

All my workout sets, I kept together in their original cases.
Then I went through the instructors that I have multiple workouts from and decided which ones I wanted to keep as "sets" and which ones I could put in a binder and throw away the cases. For example I kept Kelly's as sets and put Jessica Smith's in a binder. I also realized one Tae Bo was enough for me. Then I looked at the instructors I only have one of and had to really think if I enjoyed it enough to even keep it. I got rid of a Kathy Smith I was holding onto just for nostalgia and a few others I can't remember.

So maybe find a happy medium?
diggerholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 05:23 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I put about 500 in DVD storage cases. I thought about saving the artwork in case I decide to trade but then decided that was just more clutter. The ones I put in cases I'm probably not going to trade anyway. I threw out cases and artwork but I kept a few cases just in case any of mine break. I still have about 400 DVD's in cases in cabinets. Too many but that's life!

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 05:46 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I put sets/collections into multi-DVD cases, with the cover art from one DVD for the set. I have a shoebox full of the other cover art. I have kept about a dozen empty single-DVD cases for possible trades.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 05:48 PM  
Donna D

I store my DVDs in notebooks - quite a few I might say!

I throw away the cases. I staple the cover(artwork) onto a sheet of cardstock and place it in the notebook.
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 06:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I saw something like what you see in the link below in a thrift store. someone had donated a bunch of their DVDs, but each one was stored with its cover art in its original size and the DVD.

The version I saw was made of slightly heavier plastic, but pretty similar. this way, you compress the room it takes up and still have the cover art in case you want to trade or sell it later. note that many used bookstores refuse to buy DVDs that lack cover art.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Atlantic-...FY07gQodkogFQw

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 06:37 PM  
mtnmom

I have DiscSox: http://www.containerstore.com/s/coll...uctId=10030547 or https://www.amazon.com/DISCSOX-DVD-P...s=DiscSox&th=1

It's pricy, close to $1 per DVD. But you keep your cover art and can get rid of the case. I have about 200 DVDs. I've never regretted getting rid of the cases.

Warning -- if you sell your lesser-used DVDs and have to retrieve a cover from the DiscSox, it will be creased down the center of the spine. I've pretty much given up selling and when I do, I disclose this. So it hasn't been an issue.
Old 10-20-16, 07:30 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calistro View Post

has anyone removed all their dvds from the cases and thrown away the cases, and do you have regrets?
Me!! I did it for the same reasons as you - I didn't have enough space and I didn't want my collection to be out, visible to my family when they visit. I do't regret it at all!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 04:47 AM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

I bought a bunch of discgear cases from QVC. They are very nice & high quality cases, & you can stack them, but in order to open the case, you have to unstack, as the case pops open at the top (there is a little thing that slides to different numbers on the bottom.) I put all my yoga & abs dvd's in them. I hate them. (BTW, discgear has gone out of business.)

I bought a case logic case that opens like a notebook--it has sleeves & you put the dvd's in the sleeve, 8 to a page. I like it better, but I would rather have my dvd's intact, in their cases, so I can see them. I like skinny dvd cases as well as regular size, even though I had to trim the covers for them. I have also bought several multi disc cases, & those are great, too.

The bottom line for me is I have way too many dvd's to have them in individual cases. I am trying to move them all to the notebook cases, but it has been a slow transition. I don't know what I'm going to do with the discgear cases. but I do have a lot of other dvd's I could put in them. I haven't gotten rid of the paperwork for any of my dvd's.

I would suggest that you try out a system for a little while before plunging in & getting a lot of cases you might not like or that are not easy for you to use.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!

Last edited by Jennifer P.; 10-21-16 at 04:49 AM. Reason: added something
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-16, 05:21 AM  
bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Me!! I did it for the same reasons as you - I didn't have enough space and I didn't want my collection to be out, visible to my family when they visit. I do't regret it at all!
Me too! I've ripped all my DVDs and put the original disks in those black zip-able logic cases. Not one ounce of regret.

Sing it with us..Let it go. Let it go-ooo..
bex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd storage, large collection