Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-16, 05:58 AM  
donnamp

My DH has a heart arrhythmia (which has hopefully been corrected now through surgery) and one of the things his cardiologist said could cause it is too much intense exercise. Now, my DH has never been accused of too much exercise, let alone too much intense exercise (in his case, I think there was a genetic component to his issue) but I thought that was interesting and actually does support that lower intensity exercises, like walking may be more beneficial for heart health than "extreme" workouts.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 07:59 AM  
Sara1000

I can believe that doing a lot of Leslie walking could put your heart in great shape. I let myself get out of shape a couple of years ago and then started doing easy Leslies - I could hardly get through one! Her enhanced workouts (weights, bands, belts etc.) are surprisingly intense. Good to use if you don't want the impact of her running, jumping 'boosted' walking.

I am using her two mile workouts on alternate days with Cathe strength training. For me it's the perfect combination. I walk outside when time and weather permits.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 09:06 AM  
Demeris

Results from walking:

more energy throughout the day

better moods--in fact, in reflection, I see that walking raises up those lows and allows me to see possible solutions to whatever is chewing away at the back of my brain (although, in truth, being past menopause and not having those hormonal ups and downs may be part of this)

greater endurance during body weight exercises (t-tapp, CS/Essentrics, barre/callanetics)
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 10:09 AM  
kalliope999

I love walking. When we moved to the Boston area suddenly I was walking instead of driving and I definitely lost weight just from that. If you walk briskly, you can get an aerobic effect, and if you're always running late like I am, you can definitely get your heart rate up there! If I've been in a sedentary slump, I can tell that I've lost aerobic capacity because I'll be winded when I begin walking again.

We tend to go on vacations where we walk a TON, and even with the rich food I eat I usually come home looking leaner. A few years ago I was at my leanest for me as an adult, and although initially it was Turbo Jam and Lauren Brooks that worked for me, I was walking a lot too. When I stopped formally working out for several months, I continued to lose weight until deep winter hit and I wasn't walking much at all.

This thread is reminding me that I need to walk more!
Old 02-19-16, 12:12 PM  
SeekingWorkouts

I always walk outdoors--no resistance bands or weights, just walking two or three miles. While I that can't say walking has helped me lose (much) weight or added muscle definition, it increased my endurance and I always feel relaxed yet energized after a good walk. Being out in nature--often with a camera and/or music--and getting some exercise does wonders for my mood.

I've hardly walked at all this past year, and I don't think it's a coincidence that my anxiety and depression have been a lot worse than when I walked regularly.
SeekingWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 04:38 PM  
fatkat555

I love walking! I walk my dog at least once a day, usually twice, unless it rains. My results? It's easier to maintain my current weight without all the impact and stress on the joints. My mood is much better for it.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-16, 09:39 PM  
Leonana

I walk my dogs 1 1/4 mile, five days a week. It improves my mood, especially being outdoors. I've read that seeing greenery and sunshine has an affect on mood. I believe it has also trimmed my legs. When my d**t was good, I was at my thinnest. I do a 20-30 minute Jessica Smith workout in addition to walking, and I find it to be a good combination.
Old 02-19-16, 09:53 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Walking is my favorite cardio. I recommend it to everyone, because it is a natural movement. Walking on my treadmill has helped me maintain my weight. Walking burns calories while working the lower body, and you can vary the intensity by mixing up speed and incline. Walking outdoors is also wonderful for a mood lifter; I find it a great way to relax the mind and observe nature.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 01:45 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
My DH has a heart arrhythmia (which has hopefully been corrected now through surgery) and one of the things his cardiologist said could cause it is too much intense exercise. Now, my DH has never been accused of too much exercise, let alone too much intense exercise (in his case, I think there was a genetic component to his issue) but I thought that was interesting and actually does support that lower intensity exercises, like walking may be more beneficial for heart health than "extreme" workouts.

Donna
Wow, that was interesting for sure // I'm glad your DH is doing fine now Donna.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 05:58 AM  
donnamp

Thanks, AsSweetAsSugar, it is really amazing what they can do these days in a very non-invasive way - he had the procedure done on a Monday and was back at work on Thursday. Hopefully it worked, his dr. is going to wean him off the anti-arrhythmia meds.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, effective workouts, leslie success, outdoor walking, results, walking, walking for fitness, walking for weight loss