Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-16, 01:31 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I love walking, it's my favorite form of cardio! I lost 10 lbs a few years ago walking and doing power yoga. If you have hills, it's great lower body toning and interval training, plus you get fresh air and scenery if you have trails or a park to walk through. I live close to a beautiful trail system and I often walk with friends and/or my DH. We chat and the time just flies by, so I often forget I am exercising!
inspirational!

...and, if you have a good friend to walk with, the time flies! (ahem....yogapam and I recently shared a walk together near the beach when she came to visit!)

seriously, I build as much walking into my day as I can. I get off a mile before my office, and walk in every day. going home, I do a 0.75 mile walk in the other direction to catch my bus.

today after work, I plan to walk up and down the local high school's bleachers.

supplementing with light weights is also what I do - haven't done a lot of heavy lifting in a while, but I find that my muscles are still pretty strong.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 01:39 PM  
JezthePuff2

Walking is probably my all-time favorite exercise. If the weather permits, I'm walking. Right now, it isn't permitting.

As far as weight loss goes with only walking vs. other forms of exercise, I don't know that I can answer that. For me, unfortunately, d*#t#ng plays the biggest role. I exercise for the health benefits; not for weight loss. My experience has been that I cannot out-exercise a bad d**t.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 01:47 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Walking also helped my endurance. Back when I had all of the weight on me, I didn't have a car so I used to walk my son to school and it was a nightmare! I would walk and we'd have to constantly stop so that I could breathe. I was totally winded and we hadn't yet reached his school that was just 1.3 miles away! I had to get it right so I would have him walk with school mates and then say, with just 1/4 mile left I would be there waiting and we would walk home. I did this and eventually worked my way up to walking him the whole way to school and back home. I was quite proud of myself.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 02:21 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
I can't say enough about it. It's the exercise our bodies were made for. It trims me down and does not increase my appetite even if I do a lot of it.
I totally agree with this.
Old 02-18-16, 08:46 PM  
PrairieGem

I haven't seen great gains/losses in terms of weight or aesthetic results... but I don't know anything better for my soul than an hour a day of walking in nature--in whatever weather. It is what I always turn to when I'm stressed out or short on time or recovering from... whatever. Long outdoor walks got me through a family member's hospice care and the immediate grief afterward. (It's also excellent for my work; I'm an author and that fresh air, movement, and scenery cranks up the imagination... and has my whole life.)

The biggest physical benefit I've seen with walking has been in terms of medical lab reports--dramatic decreases in my RHR, cholesterol, and other markers. NO OTHER EXERCISE has ever done that for me. I got those results after my first month of walking, and I was totally astounded.It doesn't keep my weight down, alas. If it did, it might be the only thing I ever did again.

Unfortunately, like another poster said, it takes time!! I can't always work it into my day, and especially if I'm heavily training with other exercise, as well. I really hope someday to get to a place where I can get in a long walk AND another workout (well, I probably wouldn't walk and run on the same day).

...But you know what? I'm really glad I saw this thread. I've been struggling a lot this month. Maybe it's time to switch to a walking routine for a few weeks again. I know it would be good for me, in all the ways I don't value enough.
Old 02-18-16, 09:00 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
inspirational!

...and, if you have a good friend to walk with, the time flies! (ahem....yogapam and I recently shared a walk together near the beach when she came to visit!)
Yes, Jeannine and I enjoyed a beautiful beach walk last month! We kept up a good pace and chatted away, it was so enjoyable. Walking buddies are a wonderful treat to have!

I think walking combined with some strength work and stretching can be very effective. Right now I am combining walking, rebounding & barre along with yoga & CS for flexibility.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 09:07 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Two years ago I got on a Leslie Sansone kick and did her DVDs almost exclusively all year, along with walking outside with my hubby a lot in the summer. That October I woke up feeling odd and worried that I was having a heart attack. Turned out that I absolutely wasn't, but one of the many tests they did at the hospital was a stress echocardiogram.

The person running the test was amazed at how well I did - how long it took me to get as winded as I needed to be on the treadmill (and I never really did). She commented that I must work out a lot because my heart was in such great shape. I was stunned. Leslie? Seriously? Walking only? Wow!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 09:58 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Two years ago I got on a Leslie Sansone kick and did her DVDs almost exclusively all year, along with walking outside with my hubby a lot in the summer. That October I woke up feeling odd and worried that I was having a heart attack. Turned out that I absolutely wasn't, but one of the many tests they did at the hospital was a stress echocardiogram.

The person running the test was amazed at how well I did - how long it took me to get as winded as I needed to be on the treadmill (and I never really did). She commented that I must work out a lot because my heart was in such great shape. I was stunned. Leslie? Seriously? Walking only? Wow!
That's awesome! I love Leslie, she makes me feel good. I'm glad it wasn't a heart attack Joni.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 10:28 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post

Wow, that's cool! Are you still doing a lot of Leslie plus walking?
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 10:37 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I still walk 3-4 miles 5 days a week outside in the summer and at the mall in the winter. I'm on a Firm kick this year for DVDs.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, effective workouts, leslie success, outdoor walking, results, walking, walking for fitness, walking for weight loss