Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-15, 09:03 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Question L/f 30min total body strength

As the title says, I'm looking for 30 minutes of total body strength training with the following provisos:
1- no cardio: no bouts of jumping, bouncing, kicking, etc. Just strength training.
2- no 'parts'. Total body only.
3- beginner through intermediate level are useful and usually modifiable. No advanced, please!
4- minimum of equipment. 2-3 prs of dumbbells are perfect; I'd rather not use bands and other stuff.
5- as close to 30 minutes as possible. 20 minutes is (imo) not long enough for total body, and much longer isn't practical for me right now.
6- Nothing that is part of a set (unless available separately used or something). I won't buy a Beachbody set for 1 workout.
7- VHS suggestions also welcomed; my player still works.

My go-to is Jari's Weights & Abs premix but I'm looking to add to this category. Thanks so much for your suggestions!!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 09:18 AM  
bubbles76

• Firm Super Body Sculpt - i believe both sections are 15 minutes, so you can combine for a 30 minute workout
  • Stephanie Vitorino Body Target 360 - you can combine the three, 10-minute workouts (arms, butt, core) for a total body workout
  • Jackie Warner Personal Training has premixes that are around 15 minutes each. You could string together the upper and lower body for a 30 minute workout.
  • Michelle Dozois Ultimate Workout - you don't have to use the plates or the high step.
  • Tom Holland Total Body Workout 2 - 26 minutes
  • Firm Body Sculpt Blaster
  • 30 Minutes to Fitness Bootcamp - there's a 30 min Weights only premix
  • Montenegro Method Power - three of the four workouts are total body strength and can be strung together for a 30 minute workout. Or you can string two together as this workout has no warm ups or cool downs.
  • Katina Hunter Fit Party - has five 15 minute segments that can be broken into one 30 minute strength and one 30 minute cardio (15 minute kickboxing and 15 minute step) workouts. Unfortunately, not programmable, but easy to play all and skip a chapter
  • Joyce Vedral - I hear she has a few, but I have not done them.
  • Jenny Ford Checkout Workout - has a 30 minute total body strength routine
  • KCM 30 MTF Body Shop - two total body workouts that are closer to 30 minutes
  • KCM 30 MTF Weights - two total body premixes, one at 38 minutes one at 31 minutes.
  • KCM 30 MTF Shape Up - one total body weights only premix of both workouts at 32 minutes
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 12:03 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

KCM 30 MTF Muscle Up has a 30 minute premix where Kelly does one set of each exercise for the Total Body. She includes abs, warm up and cool down. You just need a light set of dumbbells and a heavy set of dumbbells and she tells you beforehand which ones to grab. This is a great DVD on its own for the two separate workouts, but the premixes are even better when you're short on time or want to add more.

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 01:54 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

On Kelly's Split Sessions, there's also a Full Body Premix that alternates upper and lower body exercises and it's 35 minutes in length. It's one set of each exercise. I can't remember offhand if the warm up is included, as sometimes with her earlier 30 MTF workouts you have to choose it from the menu separately.

I know everything is included in the 30 minute time frame with Muscle Up, since I just did that one recently.

April Focus:
Old 09-06-15, 02:13 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Another option of Kelly's is using her weights only premixes from Your Best Body! The normal (main) workouts from this DVD use core moves between the strength exercises, but there are two optional premixes that are just strength (workout one---no rests) or (workout two---no rests.) This DVD is very versatile also, because you have the option to change the rests between weight training to cardio (instead of core moves) by selecting the cardio optional premix. Not what you want, currently but it's there (down the road) if you want that choice. Anyway, the weights premixes (with no cardio or abs) are about 30 minutes each.

I'm stuck on Kelly recommendations because I'm currently doing her Summer 2015 rotation. I'm sure there are other instructors I could come up with, though.

April Focus:
Old 09-06-15, 03:38 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

If you don't mind compound exercises there's Jari Love's Get Extremely Ripped workout. Two 30 minute "total body" workouts. This excludes abs, unless you ad them on. And the warm up adds another 4-5 minutes. Uses light weights/high reps. It is labeled as "advanced" but depending on the weights and number of reps, you could make it more intermediate.

April Focus:
Old 09-06-15, 05:15 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions, a number of which have been sitting neglected on my shelves already.
Old 09-06-15, 05:31 PM  
bubbles76

Oh, can you, or are you willing to do, streaming? There are TONS of 30 minute total body follow along workouts online. Most of which I haven't done, but have received high praises from VFers.

So glad you brought up this thread, as I sometimes forget I have these shorter options on longer dvds. I really had to dig through my shelves to find what you were looking for, which was fun

Pam, thanks for the excellent suggestions! You are really making me want to reacquire Muscle Up, for the total body premix alone!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 06:56 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Yes, Bubbles, I agree. Muscle Up sound tremendous.
I've not been a streamer but I think I may have to give it a go. Certainly there are a lot of Youtube workouts and I get that through Roku on my TV, sort of.

Tags
30 minute strength, 30 minute total body, 30 minute workouts, kcm shape up, short strength workouts, short total body strength, short workouts, stephanie vitorino