Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-15, 02:53 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Lately I've been doing some barre/ballet and Classical Stretch, but my plan was to keep throwing in some Cathe a couple of times a week, but lately I just don't want to. But I feel guilty about not doing it, and often end up not doing anything.
Sara - why not try it for a few weeks? Consider it an experiment.

I drifted away from my "heavier" weight workouts like Cathe, Firm, etc. over the last few years. I mostly do fusion, CS/Essentrics, Pilates, some Yoga, some barre, some ballet and Jessica Smith's workouts - if I am following Jessica's rotations and a traditional weight workout comes up I generally will do it - Jessica makes them do-able for me in that she gives excellent form pointers and also her workouts are not endless or insane. On occasion I will use "heavier" weights or do more weight focused workouts but I find if I try to do them for too long/too often I end up w/ limited mobility and a stiffer less flexible body. I also seem to feel sick if I'm very sore - so not worth it!

I haven't noticed any ill effects from moving in this direction - and in fact, I feel better, have less pain, have better mobility and the energy to be active during the day (rather than just crash b/c my workout wiped me out!)

Donna

p.s. I like the idea of adding body type - I guess I'm medium height, just shy of 5'6" I have a smaller frame but I wouldn't call myself a true Ectomorph - I guess I'm somewhere between a Meso and an Ecto. For body shape, I'm a bottom heavy hourglass - not a true pear, but a little heavier on the bottom than a true hourglass.
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-15, 04:58 PM  
Tugger31

I also wonder how much surplus calories people consume with heavier weights, referring more to those who say their appetite is increased when lifting heavy. I think some people would tend to really go overboard on cals and thus contribute to "bulk". Whereas is it really the less intense workout making someone bulk less or moreso the eating less.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-15, 05:46 PM  
Cafelattee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I'm about 5'3" and tend to be a pear. I need heavy weights to be lean and strong. I want to emphasize that I do weights and not the typical metabolic/HIIT and cardio stuff that Cathe etc often add to their programs. That stuff would beat me up and keep me fluffy/swollen/ravenous. When I do STS or Beast, I do ONLY the weight splits and NO cardio.

I love barre/yoga/foam rolling for stretching out at the end of the (12-14hr) work day. But if I did only that, I would be weak, have no muscle definition and carry extra weight. And ironically, CS hurt me Lol My body didn't like it at all and I abandoned it fairly quickly.

I use 30-50lbs for single lat rows depending on the phase/rep # of my program. I keep my chest press/squats at 80-100lbs due to home equipment limitations these days. I think I would benefit from heavier weights but am at a happy medium considering my busy schedule and lack of time for additional gym time. I only have time to train at home and am content with the results.

For what it's worth, programs that use body weight predominately can help me maintain my results short term. I've done yoga programs like that. But I still need to return to heavy rotations to keep a higher level of strength/definition.
we are similar as someone 5'3" pear age 45 and I need heavy -we lift in the same range. I still do hiit workout, spin, piyo(chalene fusion thing), yoga. I gain weight and loose definition with just the fusion stuff. I actually use hiit and heavy cardio distress me. I have those long 12 -16 hour days and they end with a nice yoga stretch. I don't have the energy for anything else.
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-15, 08:55 PM  
Sara1000

Judging from these responses it seems like the lighter type workouts we've been talking about are of more benefit to mesomorph type bodies. I am an ectomorph but I am going to take Donna's advice and just try it for a while - Classical Stretch, a little Ellen, Jessica, ballet tyoe workouts, walking outside. Maybe after a while I will be inspired to go back to adding some heavy weights in.

Meanwhile, I'll have some fun trying new things and doing things I already have discovered I enjoy. Thanks for all the wonderful response - I would love to hear more!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-15, 05:58 AM  
Breezy Trousers

I'm a 5'2" endo, early 50's and apparently still a long way from menopause. My body tends to be muscular, even when I don't work out, so possibly I border on meso? (shrug) .... Anyway, I used to think running/walking and The Firm/AWT were my magic bullet. However, I quit working out for months last fall and basically looked the same by January except for a little change in my triceps & rear () .... and my clothing became much looser, not tighter! So I had to face the fact that it comes down to what I put in my mouth, not the workout .... Looking back, I only tend to get really ripped in my back and abs when I'm at my skinniest weight but, again, that had everything to do with low body fat, not with working out. Everything else just looks toned, not ripped, no matter what I do or how heavy or thin I am -- just as long as I get some toning in here & there. So I just focus on moving fairly consistently rather than getting results and, to move consistently, I have to enjoy the workout ..... It'd be fun to experiment with an Essentrics/Classical Stretch and walking rotation to see what happens! I live a very sedentary life aside from my workouts, so any movement is worthwhile movement.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-15, 06:17 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thank you everyone for adding details. It makes reading your stories not only more interesting but more relevant as well!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-15, 06:49 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
I'm a 5'2" endo, early 50's and apparently still a long way from menopause. My body tends to be muscular, even when I don't work out, so possibly I border on meso? (shrug) .... Anyway, I used to think running/walking and The Firm/AWT were my magic bullet. However, I quit working out for months last fall and basically looked the same by January except for a little change in my triceps & rear () .... and my clothing became much looser, not tighter! So I had to face the fact that it comes down to what I put in my mouth, not the workout .... Looking back, I only tend to get really ripped in my back and abs when I'm at my skinniest weight but, again, that had everything to do with low body fat, not with working out. Everything else just looks toned, not ripped, no matter what I do or how heavy or thin I am -- just as long as I get some toning in here & there. So I just focus on moving fairly consistently rather than getting results and, to move consistently, I have to enjoy the workout ..... It'd be fun to experiment with an Essentrics/Classical Stretch and walking rotation to see what happens! I live a very sedentary life aside from my workouts, so any movement is worthwhile movement.
Breezy - I feel the same way - I generally look about the same no matter what I do. I guess I was a little heavier when I did heavier weight workouts and probably a little thicker in the lower body - but not enough for anyone but me to notice, LOL! I'm also quite sedentary during the day (desk job) and at this point in my life (will be 48 later this year) I'd rather enjoy my workouts and exercise and feel good than achieve some sort of "perfect body" (whatever that means). Sure, I want to look decent, but I don't have a need to fit into a certain ideal any more. I'd rather feel good and enjoy my time exercising (since it is also my "me" stress relieving time!)

Take care-

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-15, 07:10 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Breezy - I feel the same way - I generally look about the same no matter what I do. I guess I was a little heavier when I did heavier weight workouts and probably a little thicker in the lower body - but not enough for anyone but me to notice, LOL! I'm also quite sedentary during the day (desk job) and at this point in my life (will be 48 later this year) I'd rather enjoy my workouts and exercise and feel good than achieve some sort of "perfect body" (whatever that means). Sure, I want to look decent, but I don't have a need to fit into a certain ideal any more. I'd rather feel good and enjoy my time exercising (since it is also my "me" stress relieving time!)

Take care-

Donna
I'm relieved to hear I'm not alone in this, Donna! Really, it's so strange. I've gone from running miles & lifting very heavy on a daily basis for years .... then barre .... and then not working out at all, but my body? It pretty much looks the same! Your philosophy matches mine these days.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-15, 09:04 AM  
TinierTina

I have to Keep my "Results" Expectations Low ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
I'm relieved to hear I'm not alone in this, Donna! Really, it's so strange. I've gone from running miles & lifting very heavy on a daily basis for years .... then barre .... and then not working out at all, but my body? It pretty much looks the same! Your philosophy matches mine these days.
I am an endomorph-ectomorph. I will respond cognitively (and my sense of humor will certainly get a workout) to nearly anything. More so, then, with my mind, than in any other, real way ... hahahaaa ... let's say any way that ISN'T measured by my physician ...

AAND, of course, at my age and with my stature and various concerns, I will modify. That said, cardio (if interesting and low impact) is my go-to.

I've left exercise instructors scratching their heads in my wake ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-15, 11:16 AM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I also wonder how much surplus calories people consume with heavier weights, referring more to those who say their appetite is increased when lifting heavy. I think some people would tend to really go overboard on cals and thus contribute to "bulk". Whereas is it really the less intense workout making someone bulk less or moreso the eating less.
For me I increased the % of protein I ate- not my overall calories. YMMV.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, low intensity, weights only