Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-15, 08:58 AM  
Indy

My workouts have changed so much.

1. The length: I didn't consider any workout under an hour a serious workout. Now, I look for the shortest, effective workout I can find.

2. The intensity: I would literally kill myself. I loved to jump, major high impact junky. Now, I just don't.

3. I would never miss a workout. I'd feel major guilt - and sometimes no rest days. Now, I rest - I let life intervene and just say no workout today if it isn't possible. I find a nice evening with my husband is more valuable to me than a workout.

4. I always, always, always did what the instructor did to the point of pain. How silly was that? Now I won't even do a little bouncy move around the room Cathe would do in one of her workouts. I felt like an ass doing it and I definitely wasn't enjoying it.

5. I used to adore Hi/Lo!! My most favorite workouts were something complicated and dancey by Kari Anderson. I can't tell you the last time I did that and I don't want to anymore. I still love complicated step though.

6. If I'm not enjoying it - I stop.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-15, 09:15 AM  
PhyllisG

Basically less cardio. No more heavy weights. No more beating myself up if I can't do the workout exactly like the instructor. Definitely no more plyo.
More fusion, light weights, barre, TA.
No more 1 or more hour workouts.
I like FeFit, 21 Day Fix, P57, Sadie Lincoln, Suzanne Bowen. I can no longer see working one or two body parts for 45 minutes. I no longer alternate cardio and strength days. Basically I like workouts that incorporate strength, stretch and cardio.
I subscribe to the idea that your body works as a unit and that there is more than just working the major muscle groups.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-15, 09:19 AM  
Aquajock

I'm 53-1/2 now, and:

1: That I don't have to give up high-impact work; I just have to space it reasonably with lower- or zero-impact work;

2: That consistency of workout performance each and every week is a must not only for maintaining physical fitness gains and body-fat management but also for optimal mood management;

3: That it's okay to have a single, vanilla heavy-weight strength-training program rather than feel obliged to "mix things up" and "confuse the muscles";

4: That a good, 50/50 split between land cardio + heavy weights and water workouts is the best for me;

5: That heavy-weight strength training is magic;

6: That varying the duration of each of my workouts is okay;

7: That valuing high intensity is okay.

A-Jock
Old 02-20-15, 09:25 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I'm 58. 30 years ago all I did was cardio (running) and high-impact fitness classes in gyms. I've changed my exercise routine quite a bit, since I developed osteoarthritis in both knees.

The bedrock of my fitness regimen is yoga/body-weight exercises. I do a yoga or body-weight routine at least 4-5 times a week. The yoga styles I do most are ashtanga and its variant, power yoga. I modify postures to accommodate my knees and a tweaky right shoulder. Even with all the yoga, I have noticed that my balance has deteriorated some as I've aged; I also have a bunion on my right foot that balance challenging in one-legged balance postures (Warrior 3, etc.). Yoga routines that emphasize balance are really important for me. Sometimes I do a plain stretching workout like Ballet Bootcamp Stretch or Mark Lauren's Mobility RX (Mobility RX is a wonderful workout BTW). Because I'm retired, I have more time to work out, so I can do yoga, body weight workouts, and stretch workouts that are an hour long. I really enjoy that.

I try to lift weights once a week. The workout I do most is Margaret Richard's 'Getting Better'--the lack of lunges and squats make this a go-to workout for me, but even without those, it is not an easy workout.

For cardio, I walk or ride my bike.

My goals are to stay active, have a good quality of life, and to stay out of a nursing home as long as I possibly can. Vanity plays almost no part in my workout routine. That said, what I'm doing works for me, appearance-wise, but of course I don't look quite like I did when I was in my 20s. That is to be expected, and I'm fine with that. Over the years I have made changes in the way I eat and that has played a really big part in keeping my weight down and supporting my exercise routine.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-15, 09:33 AM  
dmlarue1

I agree with a lot of what everyone else has said.
I am trying to focus on cherishing my body instead of punishing it.
I definitely will never be skinny (if it was going o happen the years of not eating and intensive exhaustive exercise would have done it) My dh calls me Amazonian as a compliment and I am trying to think that it is a positive thing too.
I
have given up dieting and am trying intuitive eating. I want to enjoy my life and not beat myself up for eating something that's not on diet and/or force myself to eat something I do not want.
I had a recent back pain flare up that reminded me that I really need to do yoga multiple times a week as it is the only thing that keeps my back pain away. It also reminded me how lucky I am that the majority of time I don't have pain. So I started looking at exercise even more so as prevention of pain instead of a way to get into a certain dress size
I can't do high impact, squats or lunges so I stay away from those. I feel like yoga,CS and walking are plenty for me; even though I want to add some weights just for maintaining bone mass. I like workouts that feel good (not necessarily easy because cs and yoga can be challenging) when I am done
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-15, 09:44 AM  
cherimac

I now see workouts as part of a larger picture of staying healthy. I also chose what nourishes my body. For me, that's barre and walking, with yoga and pilates. Also, diet is a major key in overall health and well-being.
Old 02-20-15, 09:56 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Also, diet is a major key in overall health and well-being.
The older I get, the truer this becomes.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-15, 12:02 PM  
bzbnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajock View Post
I'm 53-1/2 now, and:

1: That I don't have to give up high-impact work; I just have to space it reasonably with lower- or zero-impact work;

2: That consistency of workout performance each and every week is a must not only for maintaining physical fitness gains and body-fat management but also for optimal mood management;

3: That it's okay to have a single, vanilla heavy-weight strength-training program rather than feel obliged to "mix things up" and "confuse the muscles";

4: That a good, 50/50 split between land cardio + heavy weights and water workouts is the best for me;

5: That heavy-weight strength training is magic;

6: That varying the duration of each of my workouts is okay;

7: That valuing high intensity is okay.

A-Jock
This is me. I couldn't have worded it any better, except #4 for me would be biking in summer and cross-country skiing in winter instead of water workouts.

As for #2 "... for optimal mood management," I've been grounded for 3 weeks with a knee injury and at times I just feel like I need to explode into a Cathe plyo hiit, or else. I miss that power burn. I'm 50.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-15, 01:48 PM  
Aquajock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbnmom View Post
This is me. I couldn't have worded it any better, except #4 for me would be biking in summer and cross-country skiing in winter instead of water workouts.

As for #2 "... for optimal mood management," I've been grounded for 3 weeks with a knee injury and at times I just feel like I need to explode into a Cathe plyo hiit, or else. I miss that power burn. I'm 50.
Oh, bzbnmom - I'm so sorry. Especially with this Siberian Titty-Twister of a winter season going on. Here's to hoping you'll be back on your feet soon. Take care, honey.

A-Jock
Old 02-20-15, 02:50 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Any workout I do has value, even if it's just a few leg lifts and crunches while watching TV.

Recovery takes longer than it used to, so I have to plan for that. Many rotations pile on too much too quickly. That doesn't mean I can't do challenging workouts. I just have to allow for adequate recovery.

Tags
aging, low intensity, over 50