Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-15, 06:58 PM  
yaya

What have you learned/changed about working out now that you're older?

Kind of a just-for-fun thread, but maybe we can learn from each other too! I'll be 50 later this year, and here are a few things I've learned since starting exercise 20 years ago:

1) 4" is the perfect step height for me when doing step workouts.
2) 10" is the perfect height for leg presses.
3) I hate lunges and never plan to do them again. (My knees love this one!)
4) My arms don't have to do what the instructor's arms are doing (during cardio).
5) It's ok to modify everything to low impact.
6) I don't have to feel guilty about any of the above!

How about you??
Old 02-19-15, 07:07 PM  
isebelleg44

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. My workouts have changed a lot in the last few years. I just turned 41.

-I don't do as much cardio
-I practice yoga regularly
-Don't feel the need to be on a rigid schedule and more relaxed with my routine and do whatever my body craves that day
-Variety is important, so I change it up constantly, kettlebells one day, dumbells another, barre etc.
-Balancing harder workouts with easier ones

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-15, 07:43 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

That there is no shame in modifying. When I was younger I had to do everything just like it was done by the instructor. I am free of that mindset. I do what is best for me. I can think of modifications that the modifier on the dvd isn't doing! I'm not going to impress anyone. I mean they can't even see me.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-15, 07:46 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

My tastes have changed too, I find myself preferring yoga these days more than anything but I know that I need my strength training and cardio too. So I am in the processing of really simplifying that part of my routine. Some things that have changed or are in the process of changing....

I don't have much desire to do tons of standing lower body work anymore, I find that my Firms have just the right amount, some squats, some leg press, lunges, dips, and some floorwork. I use my 10-12 pounders and it is just right. I was doing Cathe's Pyramids the other day and was actually bored and shut the workout off. I think this is a great workout but maybe I have just lost interest in all those sets of weight work, for some reason I am just not into it anymore. And I discovered recently that I really dislike hover squats.

I am doing more lower body floorwork than I used to do, specifically Margaret Richard. I also like my old standby Winsor Buns and Thighs.

I find myself moving away from split workouts, I prefer to hit the total body in 40-50 minutes a couple times a week and that's it. I also have pretty much ditched band work, though I will keep a band around for some stretching.

My instructor tastes have really changed, I still like the Firm but only have a few of them now. I also really like Margaret Richard and Charlene Prickett, and believe it or not I am contemplating acquiring some older Jane Fondas.

If I could hit the weights twice a week, shoot for some cardio 3 times a week and do yoga the rest of the time, I would be happy with that. Oh, and a little pilates too. Maybe I will try barre, kind of interested in Suzanne Bowen.

I am 41, will turn 42 in a few months. Honestly I have slowly been scaling back since I turned 35. Was hard core into Firm and Cathe from age 30-35, those days are long over.

Oh, and I keep everything low impact too. And my step is no higher than 6 inches, never has been. I tried it once at 8 inches and I hated it. Not for me...

Great thread!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-15, 07:56 PM  
Yelly

Great thread!

I'm almost 40. I have learned that no matter how hard this is for my perfectionistic mind to accept, I will perpetually be a start-and-stop exerciser. Life always, always, always gets in the way eventually, and I cannot expect myself to not get out of my routine when life happens. I make sure I always have workouts that I can reach for when I'm in my "starting back up mode", instead of getting rid of them because they are "beneath me", ha ha! I've been surprised at the workouts that I once scoffed at, but that now are the magic ticket to injecting me with just the right amount of confidence to get back on the wagon again.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-15, 07:59 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Once I hit 40, my body gave out, and the years of high impact and heavy weights had taken their toll. I found zero interest in returning to them, and now I only do low impact dance, fun walking, very light weights, lots of yoga/pilates, and CS/Essentrics. I'll occasionally throw in a fun step routine but only if I feel like it.

I don't have a regular daily schedule because of work and kids, so this has freed my mind from stressing about workouts, etc.

I feel better, I breath better, I don't struggle with motivation, I'm not dealing with injuries, and I've lost 10 pounds and a pant size!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-15, 08:00 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

My workout tastes haven't changed much; I fell in love with strength training the first time I picked up a dumbbell some 20+ years ago and I plan to keep lifting as long as I can. I'm smarter about it now, though.

I've found that modifying is a wonderful thing. I'm another who used to beat myself up if I couldn't do the workout exactly as filmed - heck, I even did the Volume 4 Dork Dance EVERY time. Now I'm all about protecting my iffy parts (wonky wrist, tendonitis in one toe) and have no problem telling my TV, "nah, doing forearm planks instead of burpees here, I'll catch up with you."

I also have to warm up well. I need to break a light sweat before I start, or my muscles will tell me about it later. For a while I was doing 15 minutes on my treadmill before any workout, just to get going.

My nutrition is a huge part of working out. I still do cardio on an empty stomach but I've got to eat before strength work and eat right away after any workout.
Old 02-19-15, 08:30 PM  
Footballnut

I will be 50 this year and my biggest change is I have stopped any and all plyo. No matter how much I get into the workout, I know it just isn't in my best interest any more. This was a very hard pill to swallow, though.
Old 02-19-15, 09:37 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

It was really hard for me to give up my intense workouts, but I feel so much better in my body. I can't remember how long it's been...but I do lots and lots of CS. Today I did Ellen Barrett for a little diversion.

I'm 47...I'll be 48 in June.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-15, 09:41 PM  
Michefit

So interesting (and reassuring!) to read that many of you have changed things around the 40ish age range. I will be 42 and have exercised religiously 5-6 days a week - even through vacations, holidays, three kids and a full-time job. I have to admit - the energy is just not there anymore for heavy weights and Hiit workouts. I am learning to love lighter weights (TA and Tonique) even after MANY years of Cathe and running. I don't run anymore due to a nasty bout of plantar fasciitis and strained hip flexor. Any I just am not up for Hiit workouts. I happen to love Dance Cardio (yes TA - which is a little high impact - but somehow tolerated better than running - and I ENJOY IT!)

I take the needed rest day - sometimes 2 in a row! And I have a whole new appreciation for walking and yoga (when I can fit it in)

Enjoyment over pain and gain - holds more value for me now.
Michefit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, low intensity, over 50