Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-13, 04:52 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Workout DVDs that are done sitting down?

I am trying to help a friend with new workout DVDs. She's very heavy, and as a result has mobility issues. She owns one Richard Simmons DVD and it's done sitting down. I want to buy her a few more so that she isn't doing the same DVD day after day. (For us that's hard to imagine, right?)

Can anybody recommend good DVDs for her? She prefers the workout be done sitting down, (or able to modify it that way) and of course at a beginner level. I'm thinking something that has good music and is motivating.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-26-13, 04:57 PM  
bearcatfan

When I had a foot injury, at least a couple people suggested doing some older Leslies sitting down. It actually worked! You had to modify a tiny bit (couldn't travel, of course) but there is no impact at all.

There is also the Sit and Be Fit series, which might be at your library (it was at mine).
Old 08-26-13, 05:05 PM  
mtngoat

Margaret Richard has one called 'Getting Better'. The description states that all exercises are done sitting or lying down. She made it after having foot surgery.

I don't have this DVD, so can't speak to the level of exercise. Your friend could always use light weights or no weights to start. I am not sure if transferring between a chair and the floor would be a problem for her.

Margaret has been putting older DVDs on sale for $15 - hopefully this one will go on sale soon! It is normally priced at $25.

This is really nice of you. One DVD!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 05:05 PM  
laurajhawk

It might be nice to add some gentle yoga -- Rainbeau Mars's Pure Tranquility is entirely seated.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 05:11 PM  
alisoncooks

Collage lists a bunch of dvds that are done seated:
http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise...cise-videos-47
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 07:12 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith's YouTube channel has a couple of "on the chair" workouts & they are free to boot!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 07:31 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Thank you so much, everyone!

These are great suggestions! I will buy her a couple and also suggest the free ones from Jessica Smith on YouTube.

I appreciate all the help!
Old 08-26-13, 08:06 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Leslie's Short Cuts UB is done on a chair. The DVD comes with a LB workout too, mostly floor work and some table work. if you're assisting her, i bet you could come up with a way to make the LB work into a sitting-style workout using alternate moves.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 08:07 PM  
bfit

I have done Margeret Richard's Getting Better when I had a lower body injury, and I liked it. It is all toning done in a chair or on the floor - there's no standing and no cardio although there is a brief warm up in the chair. If you use heavy weights I think it's actually pretty tough but with light weights or no weights I think it would be fine for a beginner. It's easily divided so that you can do upper body one day and lower body the next day. Another seated workout that I've used is Safe and Strong at 50 with Cindi Kereluk (I think that's how it's spelled). It's mostly toning, but there's a long warm up. Finally, I've also used Susan Tuttle's band workout in the chair - there are two 30 minute workouts. They're fun and not too hard, but maybe a little hard to follow for someone just starting out - there's a little bit of choreography involved. I got the Safe and Strong and Susan Tuttle workouts at Collage so hopefully they still have clips there.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 08:25 PM  
LauraBella

Would the accommodations in plus size pilates be appropriate?

Tags
beginning, seated workouts