Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-13, 01:42 PM  
JENILU

"FUNCTIONAL FITNESS" workouts?

- What do you consider functional fitness workouts - or what are some of the better ones?
(It seems like a lot of standing core and body-weight workouts also fall into this catagory, so I'm curious) - I also always feel like Tracie Long's workouts fall into this catagory? I could be wrong, but she's who I always think of.
- What benefit do you get/have you gotten from doing them?
- Do you do complete rotations with them, or try to add them in once a week or when the desire hits you?

I am just really curious today.
Thankyou!!
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 05:31 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yeah, Tracie Long is definitely in that category. And, I'm drawing a total blank on other instructors. LOL Hopefully, someone else will be more helpful.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 05:32 PM  
Sara1000

I think Gunnar Petersen does functional fitness.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 07:58 PM  
Tiny

I would consider Ilaria's Atleticas functional fitness. I did about a 6 week rotation with Ilaria after her new ones came out. I noticed strength gains and my clothes fitting looser but I'm pretty sure that was due to better eating.

Hmmmm, maybe Powersculpt from KCM would be considered functional fitness training.

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 08:12 PM  
beatchica

Ditto on Ilaria's workouts. I would also add Rip 60 and Weider X-Factor ST / 8-wk bodyweight only program.
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 08:22 PM  
JENILU

Thanks you guys for your comments/suggestions! I have some of these. The type I really want, and once I trade for them, I realize I can only last thru 5 minutes. I really want to narrow down my workout choices for a while (think I'm actually gonna do a rotation), and wondered if a functional workout would be good for filling several capacities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatchica View Post
Ditto on Ilaria's workouts. I would also add Rip 60 and Weider X-Factor ST / 8-wk bodyweight only program.
So you DO consider body weight to be in the functional catagory? Is it functional becasue it mimics life, or helps you in functions of life (better body movement. or more correct body movement etc..
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 08:58 PM  
suegy3

Tracie Long's Defining Lines is an amazing workout! I've actually been meaning to write about it for the last week. I wanted it for awhile but I waited until Mary's last sale. It's everything that I thought it would be and more. The moves are very thoughtful and intelligent. She doesn't do exercises just to be different. I love this workout! I haven't done the entire thing because I'm a bit deconditioned but I really like it and highly recommend it.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 06:02 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I will echo Tracie Long, though I have been hit and miss with a lot of her workouts. The ones of hers I really like are Defined Lines and Leaning Out. She incorporates a lot of core and balance work into these workouts which is beneficial.

Other ones I like are Angie Miller's Bedroom Body, and I also like Stephanie Vitorino's Ultimate Body Shaper and Body Target 60. They both incorporate core and balance work into the weight work as well. I was never into the functional fitness thing before but I understand and appreciate what they offer now.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 06:12 AM  
wellnesswife

I think Jillian Michael's too....
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 06:57 AM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

IMO, the mother of all functional fitness workouts is P90X2.
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angie miller, functional fitness, stephanie vitorino, strength training