Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-13, 10:21 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Yes--that.

I have found that heavy lifting works to my disadvantage as far as weight is concerned, simple b/c heavy lifting makes me *really* hungry and I have a much harder time being disciplined with my eating.
Yeah - we have often seen VFers comment that they attribute their success with low-intensity exercise to the fact that they are just not as hungry as when doing intense exercise. I think that's valid for a lot of people.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 10:44 AM  
desie

I am a walker, but I walk an hour a day. I don't have any weight issues. I wanted to add that another plus with the low to medium intensity exercise, is that you can be active all day, compared to being reluctant to leave the couch or the bed as you try to recover from an intense workout. For me, I can't recover very quickly from intense exercise and prefer not to do it.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 10:48 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

This week I have been adding 30 min. yoga sessions in the evenings. I plan to keep it up for the forseeable future in the hopes that it will help my sleep. I suppose it will also help with my weight, as my achilles heel is evening snacking! If I do indeed lose weight, will it be because of the yoga? I suspect not directly, rather doing the yoga will keep me out of the kitchen.

Where weight loss is concerned, it's all about what and how much you put in your mouth.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 11:53 AM  
Pam

About 4 years ago when I built my house, I gained about 40# as a result of the overeating due to stress. After moving in, I would hike almost every day at least several miles. I live in the mountains, and my land joins one of the largest wilderness areas in Colorado, so hiking is a easy thing to do and I enjoy it. A plus was I only had the food I could carry to eat. For at home eating, I tried to only to purchase fresh vegetables and fruits, and otherwise cleanout the cabinets. So, the attractive snacking food (read high calorie) was soon gone. It only took about 4 months to lose the 40#.

As the Fall days were getting colder, I found exercise DVDs.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 12:26 PM  
willowey124

I posted this in another thread:

I am a meso - almost 6ft tall, broad shoulders, build musle easily.

Most of the research on the web recommends intense bursts of exercise, together with medium weight work, circuit training etc. However, this type of exercise does not promote weight/fat loss for me. In fact, I always gain weight - I recently finished a round of 30 Day Shred (which I loved) but I gained 6lbs (no changes to diet).

I'm wondering if I should really switch things up and try a fusion/yoga/cardio rotation for a while.

Perhaps lower intensity exercise will help me shed some of this weight?

Kaz x
willowey124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 12:37 PM  
sbh

I'm 5'5", broad shoulders and build muscle easily too. I totally switched my exercise routine to moderate cardio 3x a week, plus 2 short HIITs, and light weight training 2x a week. I only use 3-5 pound weights now. I gave up yoga because of shoulder and back issues, but I try to do it a couple of times a month when I can tolerate it. The biggest success I have had was changing the diet. I've lost 25 pounds in 5 months. The muffin top, bra roll, and back fat have disappeared. It feels good not to have to exhaust myself with working out as I used to do ten years ago. Diet was the key for me.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 12:54 PM  
willowey124

sbh - congrats on your weightloss - 25lbs in 5 months is wonderful! I'm glad you've found what works for you

I think I've decided to go back to my Tonique rotation I did a few years back and had great results with. I had neck surgery in Feb last year, and exercise has been somewhat of an experiment since then, finding what I can and can't do following the op. Doing 30 Day Shred reassured me that my strength is still there. However, doing Skinny Sculpt last week caused me major problems for a few days from holding my arms out for so long - who knew? I did the whole of Tonique Premier today for the first time in over 2 years, and am pretty chuffed with myself

Kaz x
willowey124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 01:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ABB is all about low intensity. it's the whole theory behind training your body to burn fat at low intensity.

i have not had the discipline to do an ABB rotation, however. i went maybe 2 weeks, and then flaked. my weight loss success (down to pre-wedding weight) was from doing a combination of weights and cardio. eating smarter, as others mentioned, was key.

hope horsemom can post to this thread about her ABB successes. also Soapmaker. if they don't chime in, search for their posts here on VF.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 01:23 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I lost 107 pounds about 40 years ago (middle ages around here ) doing only ab work and leg lifts. It was all I knew back then. I walked everywhere in my youth because my parents didn't drive but I was still fat. It wasn't until I got serious with what I put in my mouth that the weight came off.

Good luck finding what works for you. Just remember that you don't have to bust a gut to lose weight.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 01:27 PM  
donnamp

Curious, what is ABB?

I have to agree that I think the dreaded "d" word plays the biggest role in weight loss.

I am wondering though - for those who have lowered their intensity - have you been able to maintain/build muscle and strength? That is where i get worried, otherwise, I think I'd be very happy w/ low(er) intensity!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abb, aerobic base building, leslie, low intensity, walking, weight loss, yoga