Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-12, 08:34 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesal View Post
Hope you like it (although at least you can try it without buying)! Maybe it's just me, but I think NMTZ is a bit less tough than the third Slim in 6 workout (Burn it Up, I believe), or than any of the Slim Series workouts. Even though Debbie Siebers has a sweet demeanor, and Jillian... doesn't.
Understatement!

Anyway, I appreciate your responses. I may just begin a new thread to discuss both what and how to add more toning/strength workouts to my routine. Hopefully more people will chime in. I think I should be doing at least one per week, on top of doing Ellen's Slim Sculpt, Skinny Sculpt, or Bikini Ready Fast once per week. Variety is good; it's just hard for me to find stuff that works, especially because my body doesn't appreciate lunges or squats very much (but especially lunges). Traditional toning and strength training tends to have a lot of both, and it's not always easy to modify. Often I will just do second position plies instead of lunges. Perhaps not a perfect modification, but it works better for me. Plus, I have about enough space in my workout room for my yoga mat and that's about it, so I'm limited in space as well as budget for equipment. Thank goodness for the library, or I wouldn't be able to access such a variety of workout dvds!

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 08:55 PM  
txfitmom

I am back to give you more advice. I think you should completely avoid lunges and squats if you hate them so much. Some people just cannot do them, no big deal. There are tons of things you can do to tone up the lower body. Walking works wonders all by itself to tone the legs up or you can use other cardio machines. I am convinced that I get the best results in my lower body by doing floor exercises, things like leg lifts, etc. I am one that actually bulks in my butt and leg area if I do too many squats/lunges or use heavy weights while working the lower body. So, don't feel bad about it. Just do what you can. Work your body the way you need to do it, don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

On the topic of using weights, don't worry about what you have to start off with or whether you use 3 pound weights for the rest of your life. Consistency is the key. Lots of people are toned just from doing yoga. You don't have to lift super heavy weights, you just need to work your muscles in a way that you are causing changes in your body. For you, that might be only 1 or 2 pounds to start. Recently, even after I had done a little of STS, when I started a Joyce Vedral rotation I had to go down to 5 pounds and even 3 pounds on some of the exercises because she works the muscles endlessly. Right now I am only using 5, 6, and 7 pound dumbbells for my weight training. That is all. I don't feel that I really need to go any heavier to get the results I want because I am doing lots of repetitions with those weights.

Also, Ellen Barrett is great for getting into shape and toning the body. Love the combo of pilates, fusion, weights, it all works. I would just choose what you like to do, the instructors that you like, the type of exercises you like. Don't worry about doing what everyone else is doing. The best way to start weight training/toning is to just start doing it. I would also recommend you look into KCM, I think you should consider her Start Here or Your Best Body if you don't have those already. They are really great DVDs, a lot of bang for your buck, and good for newbies to strength training.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dove rose, si6, slim in 6, slim series