Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-12, 07:30 PM  
Lorelai

Just popping in quickly to say that I appreciate your responses and hope to hear many more!

Will address posts more specifically later... but I will say that I just don't think Jari Love is for me! Even looking at the Ripped and Chiseled clip, there's just too much equipment, and egads, the lunges...

I have heard much talk of Tonique, but confess that I don't really know much about it...

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 10:34 PM  
edensmom

Sin6 and SS are full of lunges. Squats too. The same with Tonique. If you don't like squats and lunges, steer clear of these workouts.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 10:43 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
Sin6 and SS are full of lunges. Squats too. The same with Tonique. If you don't like squats and lunges, steer clear of these workouts.
It's more like they don't like me... I can do curtsey lunges just fine though. I thought maybe I could modify. The problem is that lunges are just so standard. It's hard to find workouts that don't have them, or at least, only have a few. Regarding squats, I usually just maintain a very slight turn out, and then they don't bother me (I have a natural turn out that seems to start at the hips). To illustrate, I'm extremely comfortable sitting cross legged, but cannot abide sitting on my knees. I had a friend growing up who had toes that turned in, and she was the total opposite. This is why I kind of like barre workouts, or at least, I like the idea of them. I tried some Bar Method dvds, and "the tuck" drove me crazy. It felt like it strained my low back. Hmmm. What to do, what to do...

Old 02-21-12, 11:05 PM  
edensmom

Well, you can certainly modify, since you aren't saying that you hate lunges and squats.
Old 02-22-12, 12:20 AM  
txfitmom

I just want to give another point of view on SI6/Slim Series. I like a lot of the moves in this series and I love that she has a lot of floorwork, however, I had terrible results while doing a SI6/Slim Series rotation. I lost absolutely no weight, inches, etc and I felt like my body was more stressed. I know a lot of people have raved about it, but not every system works for everybody.

I would suggest you just add some kind of weight training workouts to your rotation. You don't have to spend a lot or get a system to get results. Right now, I am loving the results I am getting from doing a combination of Joyce Vedral, Margaret Richard, and KCM. I love that they all have shorter workouts and they get to the point quickly. They all have phenomenal floorwork, especially Margaret, she is serious about working the lower body and she does not focus on squats and lunges a lot.

If you don't like squats and lunges, I would stay away from Tonique, Slim Series/SI6, and Jari Love (although I still like her workouts, but she does have a lot of squats/lunges).
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 11:23 AM  
Kesal

Jillian Micheals's NMTZ (No More Trouble Zones) is a good light dumbbell sculpting workout that I don't recall being too lunge-y.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 12:32 PM  
edensmom

Absolutely agree that adding weight training to your routine (regardless of the instructor) will definitely benefit you in your weightloss/toning efforts.
And open up Bikini Ready Fast! That is one of my favorite workouts ever and it is a weight training workout! Some traditional moves mixed in with moves of Ellen's signature style. You will love it.
She does some static lunges in the workout, but not many.
Old 02-22-12, 01:04 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
Just popping in quickly to say that I appreciate your responses and hope to hear many more!

Will address posts more specifically later... but I will say that I just don't think Jari Love is for me! Even looking at the Ripped and Chiseled clip, there's just too much equipment, and egads, the lunges...

I have heard much talk of Tonique, but confess that I don't really know much about it...
I mentioned Jari's R&C because IIRC it has the least amount of lunges of all her full length programs. I think total she only does about 15 minutes or so of lower body work in that one. The upper body focus really brings out definition and I think it's a nice way to ease into weights. All you really need is about 3 sets of weights, which is kind of a minimum for weight lifting DVDs. But if Jari is not for you, txfitmom makes some good suggestions (Margaret etc). Sin6 and Tonique (at least the original) are death by lunges/squats so they would probably be a poor match for modifying. Have you considered just starting with an upper body weight program? That might help you ease into weights initially. Or maybe upper body one day and lower body floor work the next. You could avoid squats/lunges altogether that way and still make great progress.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 01:47 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmom View Post
I just want to give another point of view on SI6/Slim Series. I like a lot of the moves in this series and I love that she has a lot of floorwork, however, I had terrible results while doing a SI6/Slim Series rotation. I lost absolutely no weight, inches, etc and I felt like my body was more stressed. I know a lot of people have raved about it, but not every system works for everybody.

I would suggest you just add some kind of weight training workouts to your rotation. You don't have to spend a lot or get a system to get results. Right now, I am loving the results I am getting from doing a combination of Joyce Vedral, Margaret Richard, and KCM. I love that they all have shorter workouts and they get to the point quickly. They all have phenomenal floorwork, especially Margaret, she is serious about working the lower body and she does not focus on squats and lunges a lot.

If you don't like squats and lunges, I would stay away from Tonique, Slim Series/SI6, and Jari Love (although I still like her workouts, but she does have a lot of squats/lunges).
I've been slowly coming to that realization as well, and have been in deep research mode, taking serious looks as workouts and instructors that I've avoided in the past. And again, it's not that I dislike lunges and squats, per se, but rather that they are painful for me unless I modify. My body is just not alligned in a way that makes them beneficial, so I modify. I have a hard time not having a slight turn out. Sometimes I wish I had done ballet, but then I realize that I like my feet as they are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesal View Post
Jillian Micheals's NMTZ (No More Trouble Zones) is a good light dumbbell sculpting workout that I don't recall being too lunge-y.
Thanks for that suggestion! I have ordered it from the library. Mine has a large selection of Jillian's workouts, and she doesn't bother me all that much. She's super tough, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
Absolutely agree that adding weight training to your routine (regardless of the instructor) will definitely benefit you in your weightloss/toning efforts.
And open up Bikini Ready Fast! That is one of my favorite workouts ever and it is a weight training workout! Some traditional moves mixed in with moves of Ellen's signature style. You will love it.
She does some static lunges in the workout, but not many.
I'll do that! Honestly, I'm not sure why I haven't opened it before. Ellen is kind of a case in point that one can never really escape lunges and squats, even with her fusion, non-traditional style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
I mentioned Jari's R&C because IIRC it has the least amount of lunges of all her full length programs. I think total she only does about 15 minutes or so of lower body work in that one. The upper body focus really brings out definition and I think it's a nice way to ease into weights. All you really need is about 3 sets of weights, which is kind of a minimum for weight lifting DVDs. But if Jari is not for you, txfitmom makes some good suggestions (Margaret etc). Sin6 and Tonique (at least the original) are death by lunges/squats so they would probably be a poor match for modifying. Have you considered just starting with an upper body weight program? That might help you ease into weights initially. Or maybe upper body one day and lower body floor work the next. You could avoid squats/lunges altogether that way and still make great progress.
I'm a bit of an upper body wimp, actually, so my idea of a set of three would be 1, 2, and 3 pounds, with the option of combining to making a maximum of 5 pounds. That's so embarassing! It's actually really funny, because in high school, not so long ago for me, I was a swimmer, and did a lot of butterfly, which was so upper body dependent! But even then, I sucked big time at traditional benching, etc. I'd love to tone my arms more without maximizing my shoulders. I was kind of looking at KCM's 30 Minutes to Fitness series, thinking maybe I could modify some of them for my fitness level. And also, for my lack of step. I was also looking at Brooke Burke and Erin O'Brien (she was a backgrounder in several of Ellen's older workout!). And maybe Jacki Warner, though she intimidates me a little. Okay, maybe a lot!

Maybe I should start a new thread? I'm not sure how to change the title of this one to convey where the thread is going, and I'd like to get some varied opinions, since I'm not really discussing Slim in 6 or Slim Series anymore!

Old 02-22-12, 02:59 PM  
Kesal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
Thanks for that suggestion! I have ordered it from the library. Mine has a large selection of Jillian's workouts, and she doesn't bother me all that much. She's super tough, though.
Hope you like it (although at least you can try it without buying)! Maybe it's just me, but I think NMTZ is a bit less tough than the third Slim in 6 workout (Burn it Up, I believe), or than any of the Slim Series workouts. Even though Debbie Siebers has a sweet demeanor, and Jillian... doesn't.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dove rose, si6, slim in 6, slim series