Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-11, 07:00 AM  
kariev34

frequency of intense workouts

How often should one do intense workouts like Lean Hot Body, Peak 10 Cardio Strength, Bob Harpers Ultimate Cardio, Insanity, or any of Paul Katami's workouts? I have a hard time balancing intense with less intense so I wanted to know what you all do to make sure you don't overtrain.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 07:59 AM  
Kyra

Well, I think overtraining is largely a myth so I've never worried about it. Does that help? LOL

Seriously, I think you just have to listen to your body. If you're dreading your workouts and/or your workouts are going poorly, you probably need more rest/less intensity. If you're clicking along well, you're probably fine.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 08:18 AM  
Blackadar

Over-training is generally a myth. It's possible, but only by elite athletes doing pretty insane stuff. Most people are far, far, far, far more likely to under-train than over-train.

Jogging 15-20 miles a day is over-training. Doing Peak 10 or Insanity isn't. Now that's not to say that the same joints will respond well to being stressed the same way every day (Insanity, I'm looking at you). They may not, so you may want to mix up your workouts so you aren't doing the same thing every day...but that doesn't mean you can't go hard every single day if you want to.

But when you feel like it, it's also ok to take a light day too. You just want a lot more harder days than light days.
Old 06-14-11, 08:41 AM  
goldillocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Over-training is generally a myth. It's possible, but only by elite athletes doing pretty insane stuff. Most people are far, far, far, far more likely to under-train than over-train.
Agree that over-training is possible by only professional athletes that train for over 6 hours daily. Normal us, people with office jobs or stay at home moms it is very higly unlikely that we will over-train
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 08:46 AM  
Sophie

there was a recent thread that linked to an article about the differences between overtraining, overdoing, and under-recovering.

Regardless of whether the everyday exerciser is truly "overtraining" the way the article defines it, they can still do more than their body/schedule/mindset is capable of. So whatever we choose to call it, it is still possible to work harder than the body can recover from, and thus limit progress.

But it still comes down to the bottom line Kyra mentioned earlier. And Blackader also brought up a good point - joints don't adapt as quickly, and lag weeks (even months) behind cardio/muscular adaptation.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 11:22 AM  
KathAL79

I agree that you should let your body be your guide. Reflect back on the workouts you've done over the months or years or however long you've been working out and ask yourself how long do you usually need between intense workouts. For example, if you do two intense workouts on two consecutive days, how do you feel on the second intense day and the day after? And it's always a good idea to ask yourself what your goals, needs, and wants are and why you want to do intense workouts. Do you enjoy them and what they do for you, or are you doing them because you think you're supposed to, and so on?

It's also worth thinking about what else is going on in your life. If you're already under a lot of stress because of work, for example, the stress of high intensity workouts just piles on top of that, leaving you exposed to some of the symptoms associated with overtraining (er, "overtraining"), like feeling worn down, having trouble sleeping, being cranky, etc. I've had some health issues over the past year, and my body just isn't back to a place where it recovers as quickly as it might had it not have had to deal with those issues, so I need more time (a day, maybe two, of light to moderate intensity) between higher intensity sessions now.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 12:00 PM  
JP44

I range between 2 - 5 days of hard workouts per week, w/ most weeks being in the 3-4 range.

It depends how hard the hard workout was, how much stress I'm in from other stuff in my life & how much time I have.

P90x is basically 5 hard days (assuming you do Yoga x), 2 easier days (including 1 rest day). Insanity is the same.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 12:25 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
It's also worth thinking about what else is going on in your life. If you're already under a lot of stress because of work, for example, the stress of high intensity workouts just piles on top of that, leaving you exposed to some of the symptoms associated with overtraining (er, "overtraining"), like feeling worn down, having trouble sleeping, being cranky, etc.
I could not agree more. It's been said before, but worth saying again - stress from other sources, not just the physical stress from training, is cumulative. How much intensity you can handle from exercise has a huge amount to do with the rest of your life.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 12:50 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Personally, I do about 5 workouts a week, and 2-3 of them are more intense, with 2-3 being less intense. I just am prone to push harder on alternating days than sequential days. I agree very much that your heart and muscles adapt far faster than your joints, so watch out for that. And also, if your life in general is high stress, keep your exercise stress lower; if your life in general stress is low, be happy and have at it!!

I really agree with Kyra that it's awfully hard for the recreational athlete like most VFers to truly overtrain. I'd consider safety first, which means listening to your body! My body just tells me I can do TWO intense workouts in a row, but not three. And it's happiest with and every other day thing.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 01:18 PM  
mommyofjoeyp

For me, I'm not worried about overtraining however I limit my more intense workouts because of my appetite! In January I was doing a rotation that consisted of Paul Katami's Bootcamp 3-4 days per week and my eating got out of control. As soon as I went back to my barre/kickboxing combo my appetite returned to normal. With the beautiful weather I've been doing some running for cardio and I notice my appetite is out of control again. As others have said you have to listen to your body.
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intensity, low intensity, overtraining