Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-22, 11:39 AM  
bubbles76

Skogg - Question on Rotation

Since my knee has been achy I've decided to switch things up and finally attempt to commit to a Skogg rotation. I hear that Kettlebells are good low impact training and I'm trying to keep stress off my knee. I'm new to kettlebells, so I picked Skogg to start off. I noticed in the rotation that it's four days of Skogg and three days of stretch for 12 weeks. For those that did the rotation, did you find that this was enough cardio and strength? I was thinking of using yoga for my stretch days, but then wondered if I needed to add in cardio instead? Any thoughts appreciated!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 09:40 AM  
bubbles76

Anyone?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 04-10-22, 12:14 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

It's been a long while since I've done a Skogg rotation, but with the four workouts (Roots, Intervals, Ladders and Flow) they are short when you are beginning at Level one and pace is fairly slow. I don't think 8-12 minute workouts (at the start) are going to provide you with much cardio or strength, but these workouts are a progression of your skill set so I wouldn't worry too much about that. You're learning about proper form and don't want to rush it! You could add a mile walk on alternate days, as well as some short stretching or add one day a week of UB or LB of dumbbell exercises, if you want. I would be cautious about the knees, though. Doing lots of swings (while low impact) might aggravate the knees, as well as squatting, deadlifting or power lifting type moves. These are total body workouts, but you have to judge for yourself what is right for you and your circumstances and condition. What are your goals? And, there is nothing wrong with modifying the rotation, when your knees are already iffy. You could begin with three Skogg workouts the first week, and four the next. I would play it by how you feel after testing the workouts first. Nothing wrong with extending the rotation to suit your needs.

If I had some knee pain, I would also begin with a lighter weight kettlebell, too!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 06:34 AM  
bubbles76

Pam thanks so much for responding! I thought that the kettlebells would be gentler on my knees, but maybe I should actually hold off on Skogg until my knee feels better. The lightest kettlebell I own is 13 pounds. While deadlifts don't appear to aggravate my knee, squats and lunges do. I didn't realize the workouts were so short in the beginning either.

Guess I'll stick with Margaret Richard and Linda with Barlates for floorwork for now, with a little Tonique floorwork thrown in for good measure. Thanks!
Old 04-11-22, 07:10 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Bubbles, no suggestions here. I hope your knee feel better soon.

ETA: I just remember that I did CS Pain relief DVD a while ago, I was experiencing some knee pain, it helped, she did a few reps of slow plies squats among other things. When I finished the workout, the pain was almost completely gone, so maybe it is worth checking.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 07:24 AM  
akaAnnie

I did this not long after the set came out and I had fantastic results-both strength and cardio. I also didn't do the full number of workouts a week-only three-and I never went all the way to level four. I did have to increase the size off my kettlebell a couple of times. One of the exercises he does is squats so I don't know if that would be a problem for you. The way he does swings is to keep you legs fairly straight so those should be ok for you. I've been thinking about doing it again myself!
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 07:43 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Bubbles, no suggestions here. I hope your knee feel better soon.

ETA: I just remember that I did CS Pain relief DVD a while ago, I was experiencing some knee pain, it helped, she did a few reps of slow plies squats among other things. When I finished the workout, the pain was almost completely gone, so maybe it is worth checking.
Yes, Miranda has helped me with knee pain as well. Seasons 9 and 11 both have knee workouts. The plié squats really work.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 10:15 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

There's an older DVD by Gaiam called "Stronger Knees" which is quite good. Jessica Smith has a couple on her YouTube channel...one called "Knee Strength and Stability."

I didn't mean to scare you off with trying Skogg's KB workouts. He is a very good instructor, and you're not doing so many reps at a time that you'll be aggravated by anything....but you never know.

There are a few kettlebell workouts OTOH, that have you starting with high numbers of kettlebell swings. RKS (Reinhardt Kettlebell System) comes to mind. Stunningly filmed though, and those are good, too!

Paul Katami has a beginner Kettlebell DVD that's great, too! But, Michael Skogg is fantastic.

I was just trying to caution you, if you start the workouts and feel your knee might give you some trouble. I don't follow a whole lot of rotations, as intended, especially now that I'm in my 60's. But, you need to do you. These are probably okay, because they are so short. Even just beginning with a couple workouts a week, is something....and you've taken the first step to learning and getting your body ready for what's to come and what you could do!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebells, power lifting, skogg, skogg rotation