Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-15, 03:22 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

I've been getting many or most of my Prime orders by Smart Post for about a year now. Surprisingly, they ARE delivered on time. I even get stuff on Sundays. USPS has a big contract with Amazon, and they take the delivery of Amazon packages extremely seriously. I imagine Amazon is about the only thing keeping USPS from going bankrupt, so they want to protect that!
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 04:22 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

FedEx Smartpost is USPS?
Old 09-06-15, 04:44 PM  
at120

Smartpost:

Fed-Ex or UPS delivers the package to a post office distribution point and the post office delivers it to your home with your regular mail. Fed-Ex handles all of the USPS overnight stuff, so it's no skin off their backs to drop packages off at the USPS center when they're picking up the overnight parcels.
at120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-15, 07:19 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Yes, but I don't see what that has to do with the USPS trying hard to please Amazon. I haven't had an Amazon package delivered USPS, unless it comes FedEx Smartpost or UPS Surepost, in years.
Old 09-07-15, 04:15 AM  
at120

If you live in a metropolitan area near an Amazon distribution center, chances are many of your packages will be delivered by a combination of USPS and UPS. I live in Phoenix and half of my packages come via USPS, especially the lighter ones (like DVDs). A few years ago, almost all of my packages came via UPS or OnTrac (a regional UPS-like package service).
at120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 11:54 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie S. View Post
I've been getting many or most of my Prime orders by Smart Post for about a year now. Surprisingly, they ARE delivered on time. I even get stuff on Sundays. USPS has a big contract with Amazon, and they take the delivery of Amazon packages extremely seriously. I imagine Amazon is about the only thing keeping USPS from going bankrupt, so they want to protect that!
Not in my neck of the woods. Our rural carrier position is a bid job. The USPS takes the lowest bidder. So, we get carriers driving their own (usually junk) cars and arriving if and when they feel like it. Complaining does no good.

A few Christmases ago, my DH was driving up the long road to our house and saw a package by the side of the road. It was an Amazon box with some towels I had ordered a month before and had presumed lost.

How the hell does THAT happen?
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 01:40 PM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie S. View Post
With the exception of large/heavy packages (things like giant bags of cat litter), the overwhelming majority of my Prime deliveries are through USPS. I've gotten week-end deliveries (including Sunday). My regular mail carrier brings my packages to the door and hand delivers them (even if they would fit in the mailbox). And they're always on time.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 01:49 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Not in my neck of the woods. Our rural carrier position is a bid job. The USPS takes the lowest bidder. So, we get carriers driving their own (usually junk) cars and arriving if and when they feel like it. Complaining does no good.

A few Christmases ago, my DH was driving up the long road to our house and saw a package by the side of the road. It was an Amazon box with some towels I had ordered a month before and had presumed lost.

How the hell does THAT happen?
Given the presumed low population density of where you live, probably some drone~~!

I fear for the beachgoers on Rockaway Beach, that they get hit in the head by an errant drone ....

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 03:29 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Somewhat but not totally off-topic did everyone see the article in the NY Times a few weeks ago about how Amazon treats their employees? I meant to post it here but I was on vacation. Honestly even though I love Amazon it bothers me that independent and even chain bookstores are struggling because of Amazon. And if their business practices are shady I will hesitate to renew my Prime membership and shop locally more often. I am starting to do this now.
When we were in Scotland I found it refreshing (and somewhat amazing actually) to see so many bookstores. Mostly the chain type (WH Smith etc. ) but I miss going into a store and browsing through books. Here is a link to the (rather long) NY Times article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/te...lace.html?_r=0
I'd read (and mulled over) that article (in print NY Times) ... I had a boycott of Amazon.com since the warehouse worker Zappo's inspired controversy of signing off to quit (with a one-time, no-protest-UI filing-or-modification, payout)

And now, online, a little more where that came from:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/28/in...-notebook.html

That, and, I like making fun of the use of drones ...

ETA:

I recently came thisclose to breaking my boycott with Amazon.com
I needed special home medical management garments in a hurry, and the materials manufacturer's own website had been acting funny and I did not receive those garments in a timely manner.

But, I followed up, did whatever workarounds I could, and ordered from the original people (they also sell through Amazon, both new and after-market goods). Yes, it takes patience, ingenuity, and some unanticipated $ and time expense to avoid using Amazon or whichever company—at a behind-the-scenes cost in integrity—has a reliable website!

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, amazon prime, usps