Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-13, 09:54 AM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Intense workouts kills my appetite.
Same here. I've been a video renegade since Mid March as I am doing Camp Gladiator (though I keep planning to mix in some videos). I had a 6-pound pure fat menopause gain that vanished 2-lbs per month without me even trying. Now after 5 months, the extra inch I've carried on my thighs since pregancy over 21 years ago is gone. None of this can JUST be the CG workouts; it has to be what has, and what has not, been going into my mouth. I haven't suffered with appetite or craving issues at all.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 10:17 AM  
deineira

Hello,

I have taken my intensity down quite a bit lately and I am still getting good results. I am doing ART and started that about 8 weeks ago, doing one intense workout per week (if that), and doing a mish mash of cardio, sometimes intense, sometimes less so. I also bought a rebounder recently. Some days I just walk for my cardio. I've also added yoga or Bodyfit once a week...sometimes a barre workout too.

I have lost about an inch off my waist and .5 inch off of each thigh and my hips in that same period of time. My eating and appetite have stayed about the same. I am also less achy and am enjoying the lighter workouts. I feel like I'm getting/maintaining results and not beating myself up to do so.

Prior to this routine I was doing DB, Cathe and Tonique at full throttle for months and was not really getting any results to speak of.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 10:26 AM  
mchelle81

That's what I feel like I've been going full throttle and getting nowhere
mchelle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 11:23 AM  
Jane1721

This is a timely thread! I've had to take my intensity down a few notches while my broken toe heals. Last week was all floor workouts, this week I can do weights (no lunges or reverse lunges) and lower impact cardio. I learned that I actually like Leslie Sansone (never done one of her workouts before) but I've been freaked out that I will gain weight since I can't work out as hard. So far I haven't gained any weight...and I have been less hungry and haven't needed as much sleep since taking the intensity down, so maybe this is a good thing.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 11:33 AM  
Stephanie_B

For weight loss results TOO intense kills my appetite FOR DAYS. This would be high intensity and high impact cardio followed by 1 hour of strength six days a week, so pushing myself say 90-100%.

If I do something similar but say just P90X or the like 6 days a week, I'm starving ALL THE TIME.

Lower intensity doesn't COMPLETELY kill my appetite or make me starve, for me it's the perfect balance (although mentally especially when I'm in a competitive situation or something) I prefer high intensity. Having arthritis and plantar fasciitis though it isn't doable so meh it works for me. For me strength and flexibility are the most important parts of my workout...cardio is just my "have to" thing.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 11:47 AM  
deineira

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle81 View Post
That's what I feel like I've been going full throttle and getting nowhere
That's how I was feeling and it was really starting to wear on me mentally. I keep seeing posts from others who have taken it down a notch and gotten results. I was also in a check in with several ladies on the Cathe board and they were working their tushies off and still not getting results. I put the two together and decided to back off a little bit. I was afraid of gaining weight, but I have not. And, even though I like being fit and working out hard, I've been doing it for years and its nice to have a break. I'm still doing challenging workouts, but I'm not killing myself. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it's a nice change of pace for me.

I've also seen a lot of posts about doing all yoga, which to me is lower intensity compared to the plyo and HIIT workouts I've always done, and they are also getting good results.

I say give it a try and see how it works for you. I'm not sure if you're trying to lose or maintain, but you could give it a try and see what happens. Ideally I'd like to lose, but if I can maintain here I'll be ok. I'm also toning up, so I am definitely making progress.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 04:01 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Here's a great article about the facts and myths regarding cortisol:http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...rsus-fact.html
Great article Debbie! Thanks for sharing!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 06:33 PM  
JulieIL

I achieved the results I was looking for by lowering my intensity, though this was greatly influenced by my general body type & (of course) the goal I'm currently seeking. I was seeking a leaner look, & intense workouts (cardio &/or weights) left me ravenous (in my 20's, intense cardio was enough to keep me lean, despite a ravenous appetite!). Ironically, when I was working out intensely (so much that I, too, was feeling wiped out), I never had anyone ask what my workout routine was (though my MD always mentioned during my annual physical that I obviously worked out & was solid, so while my weight was at the upper end of normal, she was okay with it). With my less intense regimen, I have people ask me what I'm doing (though honestly, this could also be because I'm older now, so the expectation is less?).

Because I carry more muscle naturally, even when I don't work out I am still able to look reasonably firm & lean (my goal). If I had a slimmer, lighter body type, perhaps the lighter workouts would not have achieved this goal- who knows?

I may decide in the future that I want to achieve more of a muscular look, & then I will change my routine accordingly.

ETA: If you feel tired or burned out, I would definitely put your goals aside & look out for your mental & physical health. You deserve to feel good about your body, & reasonably energized by your routine. Unless you're training for a specific extreme goal, your workout shouldn't feel like a punishment!

Julie
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 06:59 PM  
Carb8985

This thread is timely for me, too. I've been doing barre workouts for quite a few years now (mostly P57 and Ballet Body). Early this year, I started doing Tonique and dropped barre entirely (it was time for a break anyhow). Compared to my previous routine, Tonique was a big jump up in intensity for me, at least from a cardio/muscular endurance perspective (not that Ballet Body or P57 are easy, but they are definitely no Tonique BTM 1.1 lol).

Well, given the amount that I was sweating and literally breaking my butt doing Tonique, I saw absolutely ZERO results. I really thought that SOMETHING would happen from doing Tonique 3-4 times per week for six months. My heart rate monitor indicated that I was burning upwards of 400 calories per hour with the workouts, and I was not over-eating. Yet I saw no changes in my body. It was very disappointing considering how hard I was working.

Now, I've been back doing Ballet Body, and I feel great and so happy. And not just that. But I actually feel like my body looks better. Surprise! My arms are more defined, my legs look leaner, and my posture and flexibility are improved.

I still love Tonique and Sylwia and I do think I saw cardio/endurance results from her workouts, but from an aesthetic standpoint, I saw nothing.

So, all this to say, that lowering the intensity may provide just the results you're after
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 07:24 PM  
daisyduke

I, too, have gotten better results from lowering intensity. Like carb8985 mentioned I got no results from tonique either. I was also running every day like her rotations prescribe. It was so hard and I didn't get any definition or lose any weight. So disappointing.

Insanity as well. NOTHING. So much effort so little return.

Now Tracy Anderson - no cardio - just her MS which is very much like yoga to me has given me amazing results.
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitday.com, low intensity