Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-21, 08:34 PM  
bfit

Another COVID vaccine thread

I know there was a long thread about exercising after the COVID vaccine, but this is a little different. I had my second shot on Saturday, I felt really bad with a fever for a day or so, and on the second day I noticed sore lymph nodes under my right arm which is the side where I got the shot. I called my doctor's office, and apparently this is not uncommon. It can take a month to go away. It's not really painful - just a nuisance - like a bruise. Has anyone else had this? Has anyone heard about it? Supposedly, this can happen with other vaccines too, but I never had anything like this before with any other shots.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-21, 04:16 AM  
Erica H.

I didn't have this (have had my first shot) but apparently it's common enough that they advise women to try to get their mammograms done before getting the shot due to issues with the lymph nodes. And if you're having a mammogram after the shot you are supposed to notify the place you are having it done so they know to keep that in mind when reading your mammogram.

I was putting off my mammogram and got it done ASAP as soon as I was eligible for the Covid vaccine so the vaccine wouldn't interfere with my results.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-21, 06:34 AM  
Anne Z.
VF Supporter

I’m scheduled for my second vaccine today (pfizer). I didn’t have any reaction to the first shot 3 weeks ago but the person who administered it warned me that some women get swollen and painful lymph nodes in the underarm area but it’s temporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I know there was a long thread about exercising after the COVID vaccine, but this is a little different. I had my second shot on Saturday, I felt really bad with a fever for a day or so, and on the second day I noticed sore lymph nodes under my right arm which is the side where I got the shot. I called my doctor's office, and apparently this is not uncommon. It can take a month to go away. It's not really painful - just a nuisance - like a bruise. Has anyone else had this? Has anyone heard about it? Supposedly, this can happen with other vaccines too, but I never had anything like this before with any other shots.
Anne Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-21, 07:10 AM  
noodles

I had lymph node swelling after my second Pfizer dose that was tender and spread down to my breast so my bra didn't fit for over a week. Felt like I grew a third boob lol! Also had severe muscle aches the first 48 hours. Oddly the first dose triggered my migraines but the second did not thankfully. All back to normal now and glad I was vaccinated.
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-21, 07:54 AM  
fanofladyvols

bfit did they suggest any way to ease this?

Like I wonder if the traditional advice (warm compresses and lots of veggies and cranberry juice and foods with vitamin D) would help?

Thanks for posting about this, I had no idea.

I hope your symptoms abate quickly.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-21, 08:21 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I hadn't heard of this either. I just got my first dose of the Pfizer vax last night. So far I just have a sore arm but it's early.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-21, 08:48 AM  
Erica H.

From the CDC:

Mammograms
If you are due for a mammogram and have been recently vaccinated for COVID-19, ask your doctor how long you should wait after vaccination to get your mammogram. People who have received a COVID-19 vaccine can have swelling in the lymph nodes (lymphadenopathy) in the underarm near where they got the shot. This swelling is a normal sign that your body is building protection against COVID-19. However, it is possible that this swelling could cause a false reading on a mammogram. Some experts recommend getting your mammogram before being vaccinated or waiting four to six weeks after getting your vaccine.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-21, 09:44 AM  
Gams

Not a mammogram, but I need to schedule surgery and my doctor said not to schedule it any sooner than 2 weeks after my second shot. I’m getting my first shot tomorrow night.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-21, 10:24 AM  
donnamp

This is interesting, b/c my daughter got a Meningitis B vaccine in February and this happened to her - the swelling/pain lasted about two weeks. Meningitis B is two vaccines, after the second one in March, she had no issues.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-21, 11:20 AM  
kat999

Oof, scary, but sounds normal. I'm also chiming in here to ask about anything that might help ease it if it happens? Compresses? Vitamins?

Tags
coronavirus, covid vaccine, covid-19, vaccine, vaccines