Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-21, 12:34 PM  
Mickey12

Just popping in quickly to say thank you Kate for mentioning it was you that did Lauren's Messy Middle practice. It was making me nuts not being able to find the post to figure out who it was that did it!!

Yes, Manley it's on Inner Dimensions. The messy middle practice is part of Lauren and Travis's new Yoga Detox 30 program.

The weather was gorgeous yesterday so I got in a walk at lunch. Today I might just do some more ID yoga.

It's the weekend all, hope it's great!
Old 04-09-21, 10:00 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh my gosh...... I don't know when the last time I was on VF! What has happened to my life?! I'm not really sure but I've been so busy. Haven't even been able to keep up with workouts all that well but I went and walked with a friend twice this week, so that was good. I've done a fair bit of garden/mowing type of work, and I'm definitely sore from that! My Fun Friday was volunteering for the food bank, which was a great thing to do, but not much exercise. I thought I was going to be loading cars but I just took people's names and basically "counted".

I think it may have been me who said I'd done Messy Middle, Kim, though I see Kate did as well. I can't even remember if I reported here that I'd done it. I think I liked it -- there's something about Lauren's practices that make time fly for me.

Hubby is fine. He overdid it yesterday trying to fix a frozen chipper and had to have the doctor look at it, but it's all good. He was chastised for doing too much.

My Saturday is going to start earlier than it normally does so I'm not even sure I'll get to anything tomorrow.

Hey, anyone here have a Whoop band by any chance? Or an aura ring (however it's spelled)? I have my eye on a Whoop band but it doesn't seem to be obvious how much it costs or what the monthly fee is. Admittedly I didn't spend much time trying to figure it out so I need to look harder.

Hope everyone is well and I'm sorry to be scarce!

Oh, wait.... edited to add that I did the Heather total body dumbbell supersets or whatever it was called and I really liked it. I think my son would like it so I may try to get him to do it with me Sunday.
Old 04-10-21, 08:19 AM  
ChelePA

Bee...you sound quite busy but all good stuff!!! Glad your husband is ok! Headed to the park this afternoon to walk with my niece who I haven't seen in 9 months. First time she feels comfortable visiting now that she is vaccinated.

Manleym...hope you have minimal side effects. Fingers crossed. My arm was killing me last night and I wasn't sure I would get my kettlebell workout done today but much better this morning. I bought a 15 pound one off amazon because I had a discount coupon. I am just starting to do these routines so I don't have a variety to choose from. I often grab a dumbbell if necessary.

So I am finishing up week 2 of the Heather rotation. Kettlebell Circuit // Full Body Workout (42 minutes) + Optional Total Body Tabata Workout // 12 Minute Tabata with Weights (17:30 minutes). I really liked the Kettlebell routine but not a fan of repetition so I only repeated each circuit once, making it more of a 30 minute workout. I had to laugh because I don't usually notice the lyrics of music because I am focused on form, but manleym's discussion made me more aware. Definitely not the greatest...quite interesting... but I did like the beat . The tabata workout was just ok for me because I would rather more variety. I then finished with the Full Body Yoga Fusion HIIT and again only did the first 15 minutes since she repeats the moves. My balance is sorely lacking. I could barely do the one move. She is so graceful. I will probably come back to this one to work on my form since it's a quick 15 minutes add on.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful weekend!
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 02:59 PM  
manleym

UGHH!! Had this GREAT post typed and got the dreaded error 500 message! First time ever! Can't ya'll just read my mind and know what I typed?
manleym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 03:12 PM  
manleym

Let's try again. Might be a shorter post this time. Or a couple. Stupid error message.

Kittybug I can't even imagine trying to keep your fur babies calm and working while getting a new roof. Hope all goes well.

KateTT great news that neither you or your hubby had side effects from shot 2 other than a sore arm. Good idea to switch arms. I got both of mine in the left arm.

Kim glad you figured out who mentioned the Lauren workout. Now your mind can rest.

Bee good hearing from you! Great news that your hubby is doing better! I've never even heard of a Whoop band. All of my Aggie friends would like it. Keep us posted if you get one (and what it is).

ChelePA I also liked the beat of that kettlebell workouts. Just thinking the lyrics were a downer and not motivational/positive (which I like while workout out. Definitely not "Buttercup" ) But as my hubby said the other day, "You know you're old when the music in the grocery store is your jam."
Old 04-10-21, 03:31 PM  
manleym

Now post 2.

Shot 2 definitely hurt worse than shot 1 (at least from what I remember). I woke up several times last night because my arm hurt and was SUPER sore. That didn't happen with shot 1. But I also drank a glass of wine before bed after shot 1 and didn't last night. I know alot of people think wine is disruptive for sleeping, but if I have a glass before bed it helps me relax. That's not always the case but I'm going to keep telling myself that.

My arm feels more sore today than after shot 1, but it's not NEARLY as sore as when I got a tetanus shot. I thought my arm was going to fall off! I also felt a little achy this morning, but more of "I slept wrong achy" than "I'm sick" achy. And nothing ibuprofen would take care of. So expected side effects, and not feeling 100%, but nothing that has kept me down or in bed.

Yesterday when I got home from getting shot 2, I did Heather's week 2 Day 6: Insane Total Body HIIT Workout 40 Exercises in 40 Minutes. ChelePA I liked this workout alot! I thought it was a great metabolic workout. I also liked that Heather cued during the cool down. I prefer cueing during the cool down so I don't have to look at the TV. I would do this workout again!

Since my arm is sore I decided to do a step workout. I've done alot of workouts with weights this week so cardio was a good choice. I chose Cathe Live #59 Step On It and it was a GREAT workout! Would definitely qualify as a Fun Friday workout. I was able to use 2 risers instead of 1 and was a sweaty mess afterwards. Then I did Travis's 30min. Yin Yoga "Stars" on YouTube, and it felt really good holding long poses, especially for the lower body.

We're also having beautiful weather! Glad some of ya'll are able to enjoy it! I'm hoping to get out there tomorrow!

Hugs and waves everyone!
Old 04-10-21, 07:53 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi all!

This week was a Cathe Live week. I've done #25 Strong Upper Body plus core (I did cardio during the core part), #43 Metabolic Conditioning, #66 Cardio Circuit Challenge Express and #75 High Energy Kickboxing. I enjoyed them all, but I was thinking about what Chele said about Anna's workouts starting to seem similar after doing a rotation for awhile. Cathe's metabolic workouts also seem similar after doing several of them close together. I guess that's not surprising, as every instructor has his or her own style of instruction and "favorite" moves.

Oh, and about Poldark---I haven't read any of the books so I was okay with season 5 and what they did to present some kind of resolution for the major characters.

Hubby had his 2 week follow up and things are progressing well. The "floating chip" is actually beginning to fuse to the main bone which the doctor said was a good thing so it will be floating no more. I volunteered again at the FEMA site after I dropped DH off at home. Kim, thanks so much for the kind words about my volunteer work. I don't feel I'm anybody special, it's just something that I CAN do. I've enjoyed it as well--it's actually helping to restore my faith in Americans these days with all the terrible behavior we see in the news. The people working on site and the people coming for vaccines have been positive and happy to be there doing something that benefits us all. I think that DH will join me this week as the volunteer coordinator said they can find something for him to do sitting down. He says he is bored, so this is something he can do that won't get him in trouble (like bee's DH, he wants to do more than he should be doing)

Thanks for the good wishes for Tank. He's doing okay and hasn't had the nose bleeding for the last several days, but it's hard knowing that he has something that will only get worse. I guess it's a reminder that we need to appreciate those around us---whether human or otherwise---every day since we never know what tomorrow brings.

Chele, I'm glad you are enjoying the Heather rotation. I will do some more of her workouts, but I will definitely change my expectations as to what is meant by HiiT! I think that's at the core of my feeling "meh" about some of the You Tube workouts is that I am expecting something different from what they actually are---intermediate to high intermediate in intensity. I'm not an "intensity snob" but if I have the energy to do a super hard workout on a day and I get something intermediate it is extremely annoying.

manley, it's funny, the only lyric I noticed about the music in Heather's workouts is the song that the guy wants the girl to wear a name tag. For some reason that song stuck in my head, but that's the only line I remember. We've mentioned this before, but my preference is for music with a good beat and not the same old, same old "oldies." Music is such a personal preference for sure! Glad you liked the Cathe Live step workout. I've done all the Cathe Live step workouts and enjoy them all. Good that the only side effect from the vaccine was arm soreness.

And speaking of music (how's this for a segue?) I thought about that when Kate mentioned Rhythmic Step. There's a song in RS that seems to go on forevvvvvverrrrr that I call the "screeching woman" song. It's the only music of Cathe's that I can recall I really, really, despised and it's only one song from the workout! Other than that, it is one fun workout!!

bee, glad you checked in and that your hubby is recovering despite himself. I sometimes tell my DH that part of my job is to save him from himself. Now, I have never heard of a Whoop band. It sounds like something that maybe kittybug might use when she dances in her cage.

FN1, we are only a couple years out from needing our roof replaced and I'm not looking forward to it. Fortunately we have a company that we use that does great work, but still it's expensive and noisy and highly disruptive. UGH.

Kate, glad you had no vaccine side effects! And about Cathe---she has such an extensive library of workouts that cover so many years and so many workout "trends" the variety seems endless! I'm not in love with every workout of hers either but there's some serious like going on.

Hope I don't get the dreaded 500 error with this Moby post!

Waving to Nathalie, horusosiris, Garrie and FOLV!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 07:54 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Oh, I forgot to ask, Chele, how is Winston?

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-21, 11:24 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hi Friends!

cataddict, I'm sorry to hear about Tank -- poor baby. We don't always need a reminder to appreciate those who are special to us, but sometimes we get them. Love him up! I'm so glad to hear your husband's floating chip is fusing -- that is great news! You make me want to do Rhythmic Step just to hear the screeching.

manleym, how are you feeling today after that second shot? I'm going for mine tomorrow.

Chele, yes, all good stuff here. Nice that you were able to see your niece! I'm really hoping to go see my sister in June. She has a lavender farm and I'm going to help with a "festival" (I'm not sure what that means in these pandemic times). Mostly I'm going to see her.

The Whoop band tracks your heart rate variability which is somehow an indication of how well you have recovered (or not) from your previous day's workout. Your sleep plays into it, too -- both directions, I think -- that is, your HRV can effect your quality of sleep and maybe your quality of sleep effects your HRV. But it obviously all plays together. A lot of pro athletes are using it. I was listening to a podcast with the CEO and she was talking about an NBA player (unnamed but my son thinks he knows who it is) who was waking up every night. She asked him what was going on and he said it's happened all his life -- he waked up in terrible sweats and can't sleep for a couple of hours. She asked him about his nutrition and it turns out he was eating a bag of sour patch kids and some other candy every day! When they dialed in his nutrition every one of his stats for basketball went in a better direction. At any rate, you may know that I am NOT a WNBA player, or anything like it , so why do I need a whoop band? I think part of the reason my week was so strange last week is because I was overdoing things. I'm wanting to know the minimum of working out I need to do to keep sane/in shape/etc. So I want to dig into that. In that vein, this morning I finally made it back to my workout room and I kept it to a 30 minute Caroline full body -- of course with warm up and cool down it was longer, but the work part was just 30 minutes. She went quite heavy, of course. This was one where she repeated each move three times, so sometimes I matched her until the third set or whatever. I liked this one because it worked chest/back/shoulders pretty well but didn't have any explicit bi/tri work. That is my kind of workout! There was a two minute plank hold finisher and I made it to 1:46 but I was mad at myself because I know I could have gone longer but wanted to peek at the time and didn't want to wrench my neck. I should have just hung in there. Her tip to really squeeze the quads helped a bunch.

I'm so glad to hear some of you are getting into nice weather! It's been gorgeous here, too. Get out and enjoy it!!!
Old 04-11-21, 12:23 PM  
ChelePA

Bee...I am fascinated by the Whoop band. Thanks for the info. I definitely see the benefits of this tool. I may look more into it now

Kate...I am really missing Cathe. I may have to add her into my rotation this week as an add on.

Manleym...I know what you mean about your arm. It reminded me when Dr. Faucci threw the first pitch but couldn't move his arm because he overdid practicing. That was me for the first 12 hours or so then it slowly started feeling better. Hoping you are ok today. Both my husband and brother had the Johnson and Johnson vaccine this week. Both woke up in the middle of the night with chills but the symptoms disappeared by the morning.

Cataddict...Winston is doing much better. I tweaked his diet and things seem to be ok. Give Tank some big hugs and kisses from PA.

Yesterday was absolutely beautiful. Right Kim? Perfect weather! Walked in the park with my niece for an hour or so and then came home to lawn max. Still so much more to do but it's supposed to rain here all day.

I wanted a pick me up with this dreary weather. Kat finally released Advanced Step #10. I wasn't sure if the choreography would be too tricky so I only used one riser. I should have known better. Her instruction is excellent so I never missed a beat. There is some repetition but I really enjoyed the music and moves. I would say an intermediate steady state cardio-60 minutes in length. You will recognize a few moves from Cathe's routines

Happy Sunday!
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in