Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-21, 05:41 PM  
manleym

Happy whatever-day-it-is Watulan Friends! Gotta luv summer! Which sadly is coming to a close. Next week is my last week off, then I hit the ground running starting my 27th year of teaching. Hard to believe it's been that long! Where has the time gone???

Kim what a score finding 50c workouts! You absolutely can't go wrong! I love those finds. And thanks for the comparison between Denise and Leslie, because I've been thinking I might need to add some walking/low impact cardio workouts to my collection. Have you done them yet? Wondering your thoughts. Either way, 50c is a no-brainer.

Bee thanks for asking about my hip flexor. I'm still dealing with it. I've spent most of the day icing, and staying off my feet to help it recover. I ordered a groin compression wrap off Amazon so hopefully that will help a little. Honestly, I think part of my issues is our bed. It is softer than my hubby and I like, and we want a Sleep Number, but they're so durn expensive we've been holding out. I may sleep with a pillow between my knees to see if that helps. When does your son leave for college? I know it must be soon so enjoy every last minute with him.

Cataddict I'm so sorry it's been a tough week. I'm right there with ya. Seems like this summer has been harder for me mentally and emotionally than last summer. Weird I know since there were more restrictions and no vaccines last summer, but for whatever reason I have felt more lonely and isolated this summer than last. Another reason why I'm glad we have this group. Brightens my day reading everyone's posts and helps me "get out of myself" if that makes sense. Thanks for all the CL reviews. I'm making a list of the ones I want to try so I've added some of these. How cool seeing a mama opossum with a baby on her back! We have opossum's too but I don't think I've seen a baby on a mama's back. Oh, and glad the beans were good! Hope they start producing more.

FOLV nope, no solution about the crape myrtles. Our landscapers (not the guys who mow the grass, but the ones who redid our flower beds, installed sprinkler system, and built a side wall) are going to do some work for us. They were out yesterday and durn if I forgot to mention it. Hope I remember when they come out next. We're planning on trimming them this fall when the blooms fall off. Maybe that will help. And yep, looks like you'd be the only one going on the Roadtrip. Sounds like there's things already "against" it - possibly more Covid shutdowns, bad airport (from what I read), not a very easy/friendly travel from airport to Cathe's place...if you go you'll have to wave to us!

ChelePA I am SO SORRY to hear your daughter broke her foot! Ya'll have really had a time. I was wondering the same as some of the others - if you could get home health care. HUGE HUGS being sent to you and I'm SO GLAD you posted! We're here to support you in any way we can.

Horusosiris I'm looking forward to doing Cathe's BDay Bash once I'm 100% again. It looks alot of fun. And I think I will be doing more mixed impact too. Not so hard on the ole' joints.

VVFer good luck with the packing and moving. My in-laws did that recently. Bought and renovated a new home. That's too bad about the fires. We were in Colorado the year the wildfires were so bad. We were in the Southfork/Creede area (one of my FAVORITE places on earth!) and there was so much smoke I still remember it. Takes alot of fun out of being outside. Glad ya'll had a nice get away weekend. My brother and SIL have a 5th Wheel they enjoy. They tease my nieces that when they get older they're going to park it in their front yard and stay 6 months with one and 6 months with the other. With their 1st and perhaps only grandbaby due in a few weeks I wouldn't put it past them. And I'll tell them to scooch over cuz I'm coming too!

Kittybug sorry you're so busy. Hope it gets better soon. Speaking of getting better, how are you feeling? How's that back?

Ok, now onto workouts:
I'm heeding some of hubby's advice regarding my hip flexor - "maybe you should take some rest days and not workout" and I'm taking a recovery/easy week. I don't want to stop altogether because, well, I'm a VF addict, and I do want to keep the mobility. So Monday I did Jessica Smith Walk On 5 Miles which I checked from the library. It was a good workout - perfect for light/recovery days. Tuesday I did 5 Parks Yoga Deep Relaxation Yoga Class, which I LOVED, followed by Tracy Effinger Squeeze. I've never done any of Tracy's workouts and I liked the variety of moves and there were some really nice stretches throughout the workout. I liked that each section didn’t last long. These would be good add-ons to another workout. Wednesday I tried Body Project Low impact, high intensity, no equipment - cardio workout + low impact cardio workout for all fitness levels - no equipment, at home. I really liked both workouts. They were fun, had good music, and I liked that the girl showed the higher intensity version, while he showed the lower intensity version. He was a litt chatty during the cooldown, but she basically told him to simmer down. This was my first Body Project workout and I would do more. That's one good thing about my hip flexor - I'm trying new workouts and instructors that I haven't before. Today I did Caroline Girvan Abs and Glutes Workout Combo 30 Minutes with Mini Band + 20 Min Upper Body Workout at Home with Resistance Band. Both were really good, but the burner was the UB workout. It was down and dirty, get in and out. I do like going at my own pace with Caroline since there are no verbal cues. Once the timer starts and I know the moves, I can go as fast or slow as my body allows. I don't feel like I have to keep up with her. Then I found another new to me YT instructor for an additional stretch. Yoga with JoelleYoga for Scoliosis – 10 min Gentle Stretch to Find Relief and Feel Better Fast! It was a nice stretch. Looks like she has some nice stretches. I like her description of "bitesize yoga videos to help you feel better and move better, whether you're a beginner or if you're dealing with any painful conditions or super-tight areas."

So like some of ya'll, I wasn't sure I would have 20 different instructors in my dvd collection, but probably have closer to it than I think. I haven't looked. But I have done 10+ different instructors since last Thursday, without realizing it. Like Bee said, between our meager collections (ahem!) and YT it will be EASY to do 20 different instructors in 20 days. Love the idea!

Gotta run friends! Time has gotten away. Hugs and waves to everyone!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-21, 09:06 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh my gosh, manleym, it does NOT sound like you are taking it all that easy this week! I really enjoy the Body Project workouts I have done. They are good for taking it easy, so I'll give you that. But Caroline?!

So funny about your instructor count. This morning I counted mine just for this week and I'm already up to six.

Oh yes, the opossum situation sounded soooo cute, cataddict!!

My younger son leaves first -- he (and I) leave Aug 21. My older son is off on Sept. 1. So yes, I'm taking advantage of any time they will share with me!!

Today I did another great yoga practice. This one on Inner Dimension with Byron. I think it was called Add One Isometric Flow. I really liked it and I really like him as a teacher (though I can't look at his hair). I think that's the second practice of his that I've done. I also took a walk and did enough raking sans gloves that I gave myself a blister.

My husband and I are supposed to go to an outdoor concert Saturday night. It's a small venue, but I learned today there will be 350 people there, which seems like a big crowd to me. If it were up to us, we would skip it for sure but we have friends who asked us to go to it and I know they will be super bummed if we bow out. Not happy about what's happening with the numbers and all.

I am really liking the idea of doing a bunch of random instructors. I think I'm just going to have fun for the next couple of weeks or so. Oh.... off the wall idea here..... lately I'm dreaming about walking the Camino de Santiago. Anyone ever thought about this or know someone who did it?

Waves to all!
Old 07-22-21, 09:52 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh manleym, two things mattress related..... I read just earlier today that mattresses and foam are among the seemingly random things that were effected by the covid supply chain problem, so..... that's a bummer. But! I am just listening to the "No Place Like Home" podcast (interesting story about the disappearance of the ruby slippers) and there is a discount code for sleep number.... if this helps you..... go to "sleepnumber.com/noplace"
Old 07-23-21, 10:28 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

TGIF Watulans!

manleym - You might think twice about Leslie Sansone. I've read of a few VFers that find her workouts to aggravate hip flexor issues. Leslie was my go-to for low impact for decades, now my favorite is (Team) Body Project. Love Daniel! He is chatty, but very down to earth.

bee - There are some YouTube videos of folks who have done the Camino de Santiago.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=Cam...deos&ia=videos

All during the pandemic, we have been binge-watching many of the YT hiking channels. Some of the hikes are amazing. And, some of the hikers are real characters.

Workouts:
Wednesday was TBP Cardio Starter 4 and Thursday was 10 Days to a Better Body lower body.

Things are stressful here with Covid numbers rising rapidly even among the fully vaccinated. Our nearest city has the lowest vaccination rate in the county. This Twilight Zone episode seems never-ending!

Waves to all!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-21, 12:25 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Oh dear Watulans!!
Finally got a chance to log on! I did once during the week very briefly but didn't even get a chance to read posts.
Busy days, this time with hubby and some of his appointments. Got all my workouts in this week except for today (appt) so will do a little longer Yoga practice this afternoon.
And work has been so busy!! Every time I get new items merchandised, more pop up! Job security I guess.

Here's my week:
Monday I did Cathe Fit Tower Advanced Total Body. It's a little equipment heavy and I used my big pullup stand. With a well placed broom handle, I can make my own Fit Tower. Good workout.
Yoga was Rudy Mettia on Udaya and Functional Shoulders. Strength and stretch and lots of good feeling shoulders!

Tuesday I did Cathe Live 130 Keep Cardio Coming. This was one of my favs when I subscribed so I bought this one. Really excellent high energy cardio.
Yoga: More Udaya, Rudy and Functional Rotation. Delicious twists!

Wed: Cathe Live 347 Back at it Bootcamp. First workout back with people in the classroom and really was a lot of fun! Everyone was so happy. I didn't even mind that Cathe had to modify due to eye surgery. It was so good!
Yoga back to Udaya and Rudy and Lay Me Down to Sleep. Very slow all floor stretches. Just needed a little "ahhh".

Thurs: Body Combat 22. This is pretty old and Dan and Rach are so young. I bought this one ages ago and it's just as fun as new Combats.
Yoga, still Udaya but tried Annie Carpenter's SmartFlow Hip Opener. Fantastic Iyengar practices and she's so sweet.

Today nothing. Looking through some longer classes right now.

It looks like everyone is staying FIERCE! So glad everyone is doing ok.
I must admit I am WAY behind on Power Yoga Teacher Training. I just haven't had the time.
At least I have until Oct. We'll see. Kind of a lot of money if I can't finish it.

Have a great weekend everyone. Let's check out your posts now.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-21, 12:27 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
It’s the middle of the night. Can’t sleep. Reading your posts of encouragement have always boosted my mood. And reading about your workouts has been a nice distraction lately. Just when you think things can’t get more difficult….my nurse now needs a nurse. My daughter broke her ankle today. I am so overwhelmed. My husband does not have a job where he can work from home. My family is super supportive but they all work full-time. These past 2 years are definitely challenging my family. I think I need to start keeping a journal or maybe meditation so I can relax my mind. Exercise was always my outlet. Thanks for “listening”. Tomorrow is a new day and we will figure things out.
I swear by meditation!!!!!!!
Listen, I live with combat wounded veteran with severe PTSD. Yoga and especially meditation is what is keeping ME sane!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-21, 07:07 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
I swear by meditation!!!!!!!
Listen, I live with combat wounded veteran with severe PTSD. Yoga and especially meditation is what is keeping ME sane!
Thanks Kate. You handle so much with such grace. I’m definitely having some lows on this journey. And experiencing some mild PTSD since the accident. I am going to try meditation maybe in short doses throughout the day. Thanks for sharing your struggles and what has helped.

My daughter was casted Monday. Ten days then a new cast once the swelling subsides. Hoping after week 3 or so, she can start to bear weight. It will make so many things so much easier. 6-8 weeks until healed.

Thanks for suggesting the home health options. We got dropped like a hot potato once I was able to transfer into the car to get to my appointments. So that’s not an option. Our insurance would never cover it. Your empathy and kindness mean so much as my family faces so many challenges.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-21, 06:22 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello Fierce Watulans!

Chele, what a shame insurance won't cover some home visits! You put it so well when you said that Kate handles so much with such grace, but I argue that you do, too. I guess you're not really feeling that these days. Sending you love and hugs.

Kate, you are rockin' it! Funny about work and the job security -- that's a good thing! I was wondering how in the world you were fitting in the yoga. I wonder if you could explain your circumstances to them and they'd allow you to finish in a later round of classes? Seems like it's worth a try.

Baby, ah! I remember a while back you posted about youtube hiking videos and I meant to check them out and never did, but now for sure I will! I talked to one of my walking buddies about the idea this morning and now she's all fired up about it, too.

Which brings me to my workouts...... nothing but walking yesterday and today though tonight I'm going to dance off some calories at an outdoor concert. Do any of you know the Joe Sharino band? Well for years and years he did an outdoor concert in our "neighborhood" (think rural community center). A couple of years ago his daughter, Alison, took it over. Last year they skipped of course. This year they gave away tickets -- they're so happy to be back playing. Hopefully they will set up a tip jar or something (that thought just occurred to me). At any rate, we've never actually gone but our friends went two years ago and said it was so much fun and fantastic dance music. My husband is not much into dancing so we'll see how this goes. We are taking a picnic meal to eat with them ahead of time. It should be a fun evening but I am honestly worried about how crowded it will be and that stupid delta variant. We will be masked for the crowd and will leave if it feels too packed.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. I think I saw that another heat dome is coming that seems like it's basically going to put most of the country into extreme heat. Stay safe, Watulans.
Old 07-24-21, 07:33 PM  
Mickey12

Sending big hugs to you ChelePA. I am so sorry to hear about Grace’s ankle. When it rains, it pours. You have such a tight knit family. I hope you can all be strong for each other and come out the other side of this better than ever.

I did a fifty cent VHS tape today, Richard Simmons Sweat and Tone. It was 42 minutes of band work and it was not too easy! I have been slacking on my workouts lately, but wow, I didn’t think it would be as challenging as it was.

We went to my husband’s second cousin’s graduation party today. It was nice to see family that we don’t get to see and my husband had a great time catching up with childhood friends from his old neighborhood. It was a great day to be outside too.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old 07-24-21, 09:34 PM  
fanofladyvols

ChelePA I echo what bee and kim said. You and your family are also handling things with grace.

Both you and Kate are showing us the bravest kind of fierce there is.

bee enjoy your concert. It sounds like a wonderful evening.

horusosiris ohh how I love Lauren's shut up and train so far!! She packs a mighty punch in each workout.

manley 27 years of teaching?? Wowee woman..what a trooper!! Hey woman.... are you foam rolling and doing mobility for that hip and quad etc etc (me tapping my foot with arms crossed)

cataddict, and kittybug, (and maybe Kim) you three seem to have various things going on and I hope you find some ways to destress.

Yesterday was Shut up and train #2. Today was Taebo live and later will be yoga of some kind, lol.

Hugs and peaceful Sunday wishes to Baby Watulan, and lavna!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in