Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-21, 10:39 AM  
kat999

Foot pain, different from PF (but may be related)

I know the short answer to this is that I need to check with my doctor, but I also thought I would solicit some advice here.

I've been doing a lot of high impact lately, including jogging and running and HIIT workouts full force, with lots of plyo and jumping. In the past, I've had PF (self-diagnosed), and when that flares up it's pretty clear what's going on because the pain is mostly in the heels, Achilles tendons, and it's in both feet/legs, with all the classic symptoms. To alleviate PF in the past, I've switched to special PF socks when working out, found that New Balance sneakers are better for workouts, wear Bombas when not working out (because they have more arch support, largely ditched all high heels, and I don't run every single day. For my regular daily shoes, I switched to Skechers with memory foam. With all these protocols, the PF pain basically went away completely for quite some time.

Now, for the past few weeks, I've been doing pretty hardcore, higher-impact workouts than I have in years, and my right foot is starting to really bother me. The pain is not constant, it mostly feels like a strange burning sensation on the right outstep, and sometimes when I make certain twisting motions, the top of the foot will feel like it's cramping up. I have full range of motion, and while my heels hurt a bit, it's not even as bad as my PF pain was in the past. This feels new to me, as if I've sprained something very small on the top or outer side of my foot, but since I don't know what and it doesn't always bother me, I'm probably thinking it's better and continually re-injuring it.

Some of the symptoms sound like tarsal tunnel syndrome, but I'm also concerned that I might have a very small fracture, although there is zero swelling and, again, my range of motion is completely fine. The pain is helped by the following:

- compression (I have both a light ankle brace and some PF sleeves with compression, and I've done this on even both feet sometimes as a preventative)

- ibuprofen (although I don't like to take that very much at all)

- going barefoot or only wearing very thin Isotoner-style slippers without socks

- being mindful about not sitting crosslegged with my affected foot under me (which is how I tend to sit naturally, so part of me is wondering if I injured it that way or partially that mixed with my higher-impact workouts)

The symptoms are worse in the morning, and often worse actually during a workout itself, so I have to be careful. I also notice that I feel worse when I'm wearing my New Balance workout sneakers, so it's possible they're laced too tight? I don't know.

I'm 46 and in pretty good shape in terms of fitness modality but I'm also currently just a tiny, tiny bit more overweight than is mostly comfortable for me, and in the past when that's happened, I do tend to experience more mystery aches and pains in weird places.

My next step is probably to get a referral to a podiatrist.
Old 07-21-21, 11:39 AM  
Vantreesta

The burning you described made me think tarsal tunnel syndrome right away. I was diagnosed with it a few years ago after complaining of burning in my instep and up into my leg and toes going numb. I only have issues with my right foot, which is also the one that was worse with PF many years ago. I tend to overpronate more with that foot. I generally find that whatever is causing my foot pain, Jill Miller's Yoga Tune Up Lower Body Series feet and ankle segments help a lot. Back when my PF was the worst and I was working at a coffee shop I started doing the exercises before work every day and that helped. My doctor at the time yelled at me for working out barefoot but that was the only way I could. I would start the workout with shoes and kick them off not long after bc my feet hurt. As far as the TTS, I didn't really receive much guidance and I don't know why it mostly went away but I do still have flare ups sometimes when I'm running. Mostly it's just the numb toes, thankfully the burning hasn't really happened since that time I was diagnosed. I would be sitting at work and the fire would just climb halfway up my lower leg. Rather distracting, to say the least! Anyway, what helps me obviously may not work for everyone but when I start having any foot pain I try to do Jill's exercises again. I usually wear Altra zero drop shoes for running, Sauconys for dog walks (both have wider toe boxes) and for other workouts I only really wear shoes for step and workouts on the elliptical, treadmill, bike, and rower. Oh and for jumping rope, for that I wear Skechers with the gogamat cushioning or whatever they call it. I don't even wear shoes if a DVD has plyos but I do workout on puzzle mats covered by a carpet remnant. Hope you get some answers from a doctor and find relief soon!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-21, 11:45 AM  
kat999

Vantreesta, this is VERY reassuring and yes, my symptoms sound like yours, although not quite as bad! I will look for the video you mentioned and try to do some preventive exercise. I'm getting back into yoga lately, and that may help generally, I think. It's also been too hot to run anyway, so maybe even though that's frustrating it could be good.

I'll bring this theory up to my doc when I finally go in, but it's very reassuring to know that it's probably that and not something worse.
Old 07-21-21, 11:57 AM  
Vantreesta

Hopefully that's all it is. I'm not always the best for giving advice though. I currently have a large lump on the outside of my foot at the fifth metatarsal joint that sometimes hurts but I haven't gone to the doctor for. I just keep pushing through. You would think I would have learned that isn't always the best thing after injuring myself in 2009, not going to the doctor and thinking yoga and stretching were the best thing to do but in reality made things worse!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-21-21, 12:51 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Hopefully that's all it is. I'm not always the best for giving advice though. I currently have a large lump on the outside of my foot at the fifth metatarsal joint that sometimes hurts but I haven't gone to the doctor for. I just keep pushing through. You would think I would have learned that isn't always the best thing after injuring myself in 2009, not going to the doctor and thinking yoga and stretching were the best thing to do but in reality made things worse!
Oof, yes, get that checked out! Hang in there!
Old 07-21-21, 01:09 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Vantreesta You could have developed what's called a Taylor bunion.

kat999 I hope you get to the bottom of what the pain source is.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-21, 01:27 PM  
Vantreesta

I probably looked at that, Linda, but I will look it up again. I just made my appt for my physical and can't see my doctor until mid-October. I am planning to just wait till then to get it checked unless it gets worse. Most days it doesn't hurt, even with running and jumping, so I'm not super concerned.

Old 07-21-21, 02:46 PM  
Taiga

There's a possibility that you may have over worked your peroneal muscles (particularly peroneus brevis, which attaches on the lateral portion of the foot). These muscles help to stabilize in high impact activity and they are more vulnerable to injury if you have even a hint of inappropriate foot pronation or supination. As most of the treatment is directed to the leg portion of the muscle, it would be fairly safe to do a trial of foam rolling/gentle stretches to see if this helped. If you are game, start with foam rolling first. If that works well, go gentle on the stretches. Foam rolling can help lengthen/relax the muscle so that stretching is more effective. HTH.

Peroneus brevis

Foam rolling 1

foam rolling 2

stretches/foam rolling

ETA: Peroneal injuries are worse sitting cross legged and can also be worse in shoes that lift your arch high enough to let your foot roll laterally--that can cause tugging on the muscle. Compression sleeves on the lower leg or ankle can improve symptoms by supporting the muscle (so it doesn't have to work as hard when stabilizing the foot).
Old 07-21-21, 04:33 PM  
kat999

Thanks so much, Taiga! I don't have a foam roller right now but I'll attempt some of the stretches and see if they offer relief. It sounds like even if I'm doing compression thinking the injury is one thing that it could be helping even if it's this other issue.

I will bring up both ideas to my doctor.
Old 07-21-21, 04:53 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Wow, my husband has had bad foot pain (both feet) for years now. The tarsal tunnel syndrome symptoms seem to match his. He's tried a bunch of different things. Apparently they gave him a shot to "fix" TTS and it didn't work, so now he thinks that's not it. I'm wondering if he just waited too long and his nerves were so badly damaged that's why the shot didn't work. At this point he is so fed up with doctors throwing darts at it that he doesn't even want to try to get help anymore. It's pretty debilitating -- these days he can't do much more than sit on the couch for a large part of the day. Not sure how I get him to take a second look at TTS but boy that sounds like it to me.

Good luck to all having foot problems!!

Tags
foot pain, injury prevention, mobility, peroneal injuries, plantar fasciitis, pronate, running, stretches, tarsal tunnel syndrome