Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-21, 10:52 AM  
manleym

FOUND IT!!

Ok gals, we've solved the mystery! Well, not really, but I did find where Cathe introduces Brenda's relative as her sister.

Cataddict you are right. In Live #159 Birthday Bash, around 28:32, Cathe introduces this woman as Brenda's daughter. But in Cathe Live #50 Muscle Max (with No Step), starting at 26:30-26:50, Cathe walks over to this woman, calls her Diane, and introduces her as Brenda's sister.

I knew I had seen it somewhere, just took me a while to find where. For some reason I thought it was in a kickboxing workout, but it wasn't. I do think it's the same woman, not 2 separate women. She's in several of Cathe Lives, always in the back. I usually see her on the right side of the room, but in BB she was on the left side.

So Cataddict and I are both FN, but not the "ain't quite right" FN.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 02:54 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by manleym View Post
FOUND IT!!

Ok gals, we've solved the mystery! Well, not really, but I did find where Cathe introduces Brenda's relative as her sister.

Cataddict you are right. In Live #159 Birthday Bash, around 28:32, Cathe introduces this woman as Brenda's daughter. But in Cathe Live #50 Muscle Max (with No Step), starting at 26:30-26:50, Cathe walks over to this woman, calls her Diane, and introduces her as Brenda's sister.

I knew I had seen it somewhere, just took me a while to find where. For some reason I thought it was in a kickboxing workout, but it wasn't. I do think it's the same woman, not 2 separate women. She's in several of Cathe Lives, always in the back. I usually see her on the right side of the room, but in BB she was on the left side.

So Cataddict and I are both FN, but not the "ain't quite right" FN.
Forget being called FN3...You are Watulan, P.I.!!!

Way to go !!

And to VVfer...Hai girl..Haiiii!!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 03:20 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the Warm Watulan Welcome! I'm not sure if I will be able to catch up on the the two ginormous threads, so I ask for your patience if I have missed important life events or don't get certain references. I'm having some vision issues, so reading is currently a bit of a challenge.

What do the different FNs mean?

ChelePA - so sorry about the accident! (((hugs)))

Mickey12 - I like basic, uncomplicated cardio (Leslie Sansone, Team Body Project, etc.) I like basic strength training like Cathe's older workouts. I have some YouTube workouts that I quite like from lesser known instructors. I'm probably more defined by the numerous workouts that I don't like, LOL!

kittybug Sorry about the injury. I liked Slim Series. I never did the full rotation. I'm staring the high rep segment of my periodization plan and I'm thinking Slim In 6 might just be the ticket. Also, I have a very dusty shelf of barre workouts I need to re-visit.

FOLV - Hey, girl!

I forgot to post my workout! Yesterday, I did Greg Smithy's Original Buns of Steel (1991). I only did the inner and outer thighs sections, but was still crying like a baby. (And not just at his corny jokes). He's a machine!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 04:41 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello All and a belated welcome to Vintage! Nice to have you join us. In my mind, you are VF "royalty" so I feel honored that you're joining us. I have it in my mind that you have a lot of focus on strength work for bone strengthening.... correct? Among other goals, I'm sure.

Oh kittybug, sorry you and the cats are still suffering with the heat! I loved the zipper comment! lavna, I've seen the news about the Canadian heat wave and all the deaths -- so horrible! And then my husband told me on top of all that, there was a bunch of lightening last night (?) that started more fires? Awful! I almost hate to admit it, but this last week we've been having real northern CA beach weather..... that means fog and coolish temps. I feel so lucky! I've been wearing sweatshirts well into the afternoon. Not sure that's the greatest for my garden. We don't have much happening (in the garden) either, but I'm hopeful that it will eventually. Thank goodness for farmer's markets.

manleym, I have no doubt that you'll live up to the new name!

Kim, maybe you need something "new" to do -- which could mean resurrecting something you haven't done in a very long time? You're right -- you will get it back.

I had a very early appointment with a mammogram machine this morning, followed by blood work up at the lab so I opted for a walk with a friend after that. I may try to do doubles tomorrow -- we'll see how I feel!! No toastmasters this week so lack of time will not be available as an excuse.

No plans for the 4th here. We are having dinner with friend's tomorrow night -- first time since before lockdown, though we had some zoom liar's dice with them in the meantime. It'll be really nice to be in person. Last night I celebrated a friend's 60th -- there were five of us, and outside the whole evening. Super fun to be together and each of us brought an appetizer so good, fun food, too.

I know the 4th can be a really stressful time for animals, and thus their parents, too. I hope it goes smoothly for all of you (though I'm just realizing that I will probably post again before the actual 4th -- it's been on my mind, along with heightened fire awareness). Ok..... be back tomorrow, I'm guessing.
Old 07-02-21, 05:57 PM  
Mickey12

Hey Watulans,

I'm glad the mystery of Brenda's daughter has been solved.

Alta I agree with Bee that you're VF royalty. I have some more very important questions: Do you have any pets? Are those beautiful eyes in your avatar picture yours? And the reference to FN stands for "fiercely nuts". It was given to Cataddict and Kittybug for their workouts which, if I recall correctly, were quite long, quite hard or doubled up. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken. Manley has lately been doing those type of things, thus the FN name for her too.

Bee I did Jenny's Cozy slow flow tonight from Inner Dimensions. It was very, very nice and felt great. It was just as she described - some gentle movement when you don't want to do anything to vigorous or intense but want to do something. I also had a walk at lunch today.

Linda I can just hear you calling out to Alta. You're so funny!

Oh, ChelePA I just realized today is Friday. I didn't do a Fun Friday workout in your honor. Bummer. I hope someone else did.

Kittybug the only thing special we are doing for the July Fourth weekend is going out to dinner with my sister in law and brother in law on Saturday night. We normally go to their house for holidays, but I guess she's tired of having to get the house clean, cook, and everything else that goes along with entertaining because she suggested we go out. I'm cool with it because I never entertain at my house. I don't like all the cleaning, preparation, etc. either. Haha.

We just had a mother deer and two fawns in the back yard. OMG, so stinking cute!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 07-02-21, 05:58 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Nathalie, what kind of portable A/C unit do you have? We have such different zones in our house and need something for the bedroom upstairs because it just gets so unbearably hot, even with central A/C.
It's a 3-in-1 A/C by Danby (A/C, dehumidifier, fan) 14 000 BTU. It's OK for a closed room but the problem is that it has only one tube to expel the air outside so that air has to be replaced. So air from outside creeps into the house by other small holes. So other rooms in the house become hotter (I hope my explanation is clear! It's complicated for me to explain it in French, imagine in English! ). So it works only in half of the house since I have 2 of those A/C. My DH taped a big tube to the input of air so the A/C takes the air form outside, cools it and expels it outside again. It helped a little. A window A/C would have been better but it's not compatible with my windows! For my type of house, central A/C would be optimal (compared with a wall unit) but it's much more expensive. I'm thinking about it though with the summers getting hotter, working from home (3 days after Covid) and my getting older and not tolerating heat very well.
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 06:10 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Oh kittybug, sorry you and the cats are still suffering with the heat! I loved the zipper comment! lavna, I've seen the news about the Canadian heat wave and all the deaths -- so horrible! And then my husband told me on top of all that, there was a bunch of lightening last night (?) that started more fires? Awful! I almost hate to admit it, but this last week we've been having real northern CA beach weather..... that means fog and coolish temps. I feel so lucky! I've been wearing sweatshirts well into the afternoon.
It's so sad. One village burned out almost completly! The people only had about 15 minutes to flee! And some didn't make it. I heard a report about a man saying that his parents didn't have time to escape. He tried to protect them by putting them in a "hole" and hid himself elsewhere but when he got back, he found their bodies. So sad!

I'm so happy for you that you have cooler temperature. It's a nice break because IIRC your state often has drougths and fires.

I had my mammogram a few weeks ago. Results were normal! Yay! It's always stressful having those exams, especially as some people close to my age had some bad news! Let us know how it went!
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 06:25 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh lavna, that is a very sad story about the man finding his parents! Fifteen minutes.... that is frightening.

I am probably the eternal optimist or something..... when I get a mammogram I never even consider that I might get bad news. I did get a call when driving my toddlers to the park on day -- a Friday afternoon -- the doctor telling me I had melanoma. Since I wasn't expecting any bad news, that sort of threw me for a loop especially since it was late on a Friday and of course after a couple of hours of processing I had tons of questions that would have to wait until Monday. Fortunately it was caught very early and easily taken care of. Phew!

You did well with the A/C explanation -- well, at any rate, we have a unit that sounds like that one, so knowing how it works, I followed your explanation fine. I will remain impressed at your ability and patience in conversing with us here in your non-native language. Did I tell you that my toastmasters group just coincidentally happens to consist of nearly half the group being non-native english speakers? I'm so impressed with each and every one of them. We are a very friendly, encouraging bunch.

Kim, Cozy Slow Flow for the win!! Yes! I honestly had forgotten what the FN stands for, so thank you. Enjoy your evening out, and those fawns!!!

Forgot to tell you guys the latest crazy dog antics. They were running around like crazy outside and broke a fire hydrant. To be fair, they broke the PVC that went to the fire hydrant apparatus, but the result was water gushing and repairs needed. We took care of that today. PVC is so easy to work with!
Old 07-02-21, 08:49 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Happy Friday!

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I totally forgot it was Friday or I would have done the much mentioned but not done yet Kat's Advanced Step. Since DH has been home with his foot, I am not doing a good job at distinguishing one day from another. BTW, he's done with his PT and is waiting to discuss his status with the dr. meaning whether he can go back to work full time or reduced hours. Honestly he doesn't really want to go back at all, but wants to be there to work out a proper notice. Stay tuned.

Guys, the Brenda sister/daughter mystery has not been solved! All we know is that apparently Cathe calls the same woman Brenda's daughter AND Brenda's sister. My theory is that Cathe messed up by calling her daughter and maybe corrected herself but we couldn't hear that part. Who knows? Thanks to FN3 for the additional detective work. I was thinking I didn't hear what I heard.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention our appliance story to add to the Watulan list! Nothing so dramatic as ovens exploding into a towering inferno, but wash cycles that would repeat themselves over and over and over again. Our water bill was crazy before I figured out what was going on. The repair guy said it might be the suspension and could fix it for $350 and/or the control board might be faulty for a cost of $700. Well, nope on both options since it's a 6 year old washer which apparently is now close to the useful life for a washer these days. We had our last washer for 15 years so on needing one after 6 years! Anyhoo we found one we liked and it got delivered today. HOWEVER, one of the guys apparently didn't shut the door to the outside carefully and when we did a "head count" to check on the cats once we discovered the open door we couldn't find the younger cat. Searched for maybe 15 minutes and FINALLY found him under one of the beds wedged in between some boxes that were under there. DH was SO upset as he blamed himself and thought the little (well, not so little) guy had gotten out. All's well that ends well since we found him but it was scary for awhile.

Remind me never to mention winning baseball games again. The team has been losing ever since!

So to workouts and continuing with 2Lazy's Best of Cathe Live rotation. Yesterday I did #56 Totally Toned Legs. I liked it, nothing new and different but effective. Today I substituted #260 Cardio Core Plateau Buster. Wow! This is a gem! Challenging but not killer and enough time between sections that it doesn't feel rushed and some variety in the core segments. Lisa is to Cathe's left and it's always good to see her since she is a participant from the "old days." Obviously she has kept up with fitness over the years which is also an inspiration.

Nathalie, so sad about the man who lost his parents after trying to save them. We also have a few days respite from the heat but it will be back. We are grateful not to have the heat or the fires that others are facing now.

Kim, my husband would be over the moon to see the fawns. He just loves seeing them when we visited my parents. I remember telling him when we went into their driveway in the evening to look around the rhododendrons and he would probably see deer and sure enough, there were several around each plant (which were probably 8 feet high and more than that wide). Mom used to complain that they would eat the shrub to the ground (highly unlikely!)

Nathalie, good news about your mammo! I always have a bit of trepidation after I have one since one time they called me to do an additional screening to look further into a "shadow." Fortunately it turned out to be an imaging issue but it has made me a bit nervous ever since. bee, hope all went well with yours and with your blood work.

FN1, one year our tomatoes burnt to a crisp in a week of 100 degree temps. We are hoping that the beans don't have the same fate. I think our raised bed is in a good spot---plenty of sun but not too much.

FN3, I've done CL #130 and #132 (last week, I think). Doesn't it kill you when Cathe ends the workouts with something like burpees? The one I did today (#260) had air jacks as the final cardio. I guess she figures you will give it one final push since you know you are close to the end? And to the sister/daughter mystery, do you think we'll ever know? I am with you in that they look like the same person in both the "daughter" and "sister" workouts but they don't focus on her for that long at least in the workouts I've seen her/them in. To be continued....

bee, I think Brenda is a Jersey girl and always has been, but I wouldn't swear to it. She may not participate in the Lives since they are during business hours and her job hours may be a conflict.

VVFer, Wow! Buns of Steel! I remember it, but don't recall that I've ever done it. I'm with you on preferring some of the older Cathes for strength work. Some of the newer ones seem to go at too fast a pace to have both good form and to lift heavy---well, "heavy" for me, anyway. Oh, and incidentally, I never really associated the word "sneak" with respect to you based on my knowledge of VF history, and that's a good thing. Keeps it lively. Glad you are here, and don't worry about catching up on the lengthy thread(s). I didn't join the group on the old thread right away and was part of it in no time. And you, with your Royal Pedigree, will definitely add another level of class to our group.

Kate, how's your son? Any updates? Great that he has such a positive attitude--wonder where he gets that?

horusosiris, hope you are able to spend some quality time relaxing with family this weekend!

Chele, thinking of you and hope you are continuing to progress! Hugs to you and MrChele and daughterChele!

Waves to FOLV and Garrie!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 10:30 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

cataddict, I think Cathe must have misspoke about Brenda's sister. And it makes complete sense that she is a Jersey girl with all the filming she's done with Cathe. Maybe she was doing some sort of triathlon in Wisconsin and broke her hip or something. Does anyone remember that, or am I crazy?

Oh, and I can completely relate to forgetting what day it is. Every time I wake up I have to think about what day it is and what's happening. How do you feel about DH possibly going back to work? And that is so crazy about your washer!! It drives me crazy that appliances have such short lives these days. Ug!

Well, no doubles for me today -- not sure I'm up to it, even if one was yoga!! I did Imax 4 -- a nice moderate step workout as you know. I'm really glad you guys talked me into that one -- it's a gem for days like this.

Waves!

Tags
watulan check-in