Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-21, 12:33 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Sneaking in to say "hi!"

I feel behind already! I may have jury duty this or next week and can try and catch up on everyone.

I'm 65 and a mostly intermediate exerciser. The intensity of my workouts may not make me fierce. But, after over 40 years of working out, I am fierce in my determination to keep moving.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 12:43 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I give you a BIG Watulan welcome!!! And yes, I agree, working out for that long makes you fierce indeed. We talk about that here a lot, that nobody in our 'real' lives works out like we do, so you're in good company.

PS...I just finished a month of jury duty myself. Thankfully I only had to appear in court once out of that month, and the case was settled at the last minute before the trial, which we all found out after sitting around for three uncomfortable hours.

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 12:46 PM  
lavna

Hello everyone,

We had quite a heat wave this week. It ended yesterday and today, it's colder than some nights this week! It's nice to have cooler temperature. I have portable air conditionning but they're not as efficient as central air conditionning.

Bee: are you still in the heat wave that's in the west of the continent ? Here' there were many deaths because of the heat wave in British Columbia.

Bee: I have to say that I don't follow hockey at all! It's nice that the Canadiens are in the finals though because it's been such a long time (1994 IIRC). People are going crazy here with that (some were already planning the parade!) but I think they have calmed down since Tampa Bay won the first 2 games!

Kittybug: I'm sorry about your back. It seems to be improving. Good for you for continuing to move.

Kim: I think that Canada Day is more celebrated in the rest of the country. Here, we celebrate more on our provincial day which is June 24th. But I have to admit that personnally, I don't participate in any festivities for those 2 days. I just enjoy the day off!

Linda: I love all your creativity with your chimes, your bells and your songs/poems! You always make me smile!

Today, I did Live 185 Totally pumped UB. Wow! It was hard. It made me think of 196 UB trisets which I did last week and found quite hard except that you do 2 body parts instead of one.

Contrary to some of you, I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of 111 Smokin' UB. I found the pace a little too fast to be able to use heavy weights and I was often out of breath which made it harder for me to keep good form.

I didn't know that Brenda had a daughter. IIRC, I had read in the bios that Cathe used to have on her old website that she didn't have any children. I too am curious to have more info!

Enjoy your day. The weekend is almost there!
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 01:11 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Sneaking in to say "hi!"

I feel behind already! I may have jury duty this or next week and can try and catch up on everyone.

I'm 65 and a mostly intermediate exerciser. The intensity of my workouts may not make me fierce. But, after over 40 years of working out, I am fierce in my determination to keep moving.
Hi and Welcome to our check-in!
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 02:12 PM  
manleym

Quote:
Sneaking in to say "hi!"

WOOT! WOOT! BIG welcome Vintage VFer! Glad to have you! : You said it well, we're all fierce in our determination to keep moving. Motion is lotion, so we're all just doing something.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 03:44 PM  
manleym

Cataddict I tried to find the workout where Cathe introduces Brenda's daughter as her sister but can't. GRR! Driving me crazy! It's like laying something down somewhere but you can't remember where! BUT Brenda's daughter is in Cathe Live Rock It Sock It #82 and is shown a few times, but I couldn't find Cathe introducing her. She's on the right side of the room, wearing a black jacket and a turquoise workout top. I remember because I have the same top! I checked this rotation and none of the workouts are repeated. It's kinda too bad when they are. I like totally different workouts within a rotation. And yes, I'm running with the BIG CATS now! Hope I can hold my own!

Bee I'm glad everything worked out with Southwest! I know you feel relieved having that done.

KateTT hope you're getting some good news from your son's drs. Keep us posted. And I'm going to plan out my Olympics watching so I don't miss anything good!

Kittybug HILARIOUS about your cats looking for their zippers! I've seen on the news that your getting 100+ heat. Ugh! That's miserable! Hope it cools down soon. Jessica is like working out with your best friend. I like her as an instructor. Don't have any of her walking dvds, but have some others and like her.

Kim your trip to the produce stand sounds yummy! Lots of fresh goodness. Nothing's better.

Nathalie glad things have cooled down for ya'll. Hope it stays that way. Hot is no fun.

Workouts:
Yesterday was Cathe Live #130 Keep the Cardio Coming. It was filmed around Christmas so it was fun seeing everyone dressed up, or at least with a hat. I really liked the workout. There was a nice variety of moves, with the hardest moves being at end. Pros and cons to that - I was totally warmed up and felt more ready for burpees, etc. but they were hard since it was the end of the workout. I liked that it wasn't just jumping, burpees, but had other cardio mixed in. We used everything - weights, firewalkers, ball...kept things moving.
Today was Cathe Live #132 Kick Punch Cardio. Starts with cardio kickboxing and cardio blasts, then moves into heavy bag, then more cardio kickboxing. I got a great workout, and really liked it, but not sure I liked it more than other kbox Lives.

Hugs and waves to ChelePA, FOLV, and hope to hear from Horusosiris soon!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 03:53 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Sneaking in to say "hi!"

Hi and welcome!!! I "think" we define fierce as you do---the determination to keep moving. Many of us here have faced injuries or setbacks of some kind but "fiercely" keep on trucking' as best we can. One member, ChelePA, is working on a lengthy recovery from a terrible car collision, and she is as fierce as it gets. So no, I don't see us as "puke in a bucket" advanced exercisers---at least I'm not---we are just persistent, like my late lamented Watula, who we lost at a feline golden age of 19.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 04:55 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Now that I've welcomed our latest member, here's my catch up!

Yesterday I subbed Live #301 All Low Impact Kickboxing, Hiit and core (may have paraphrased the title --it's long). I liked it fine but probably not a favorite, had to modify a bit to up the intensity. I did other cardio during the core segment since I did core yesterday. It was 10 minutes long and looked really intense. She did some move that she balanced and then lifted her leg somehow and I thought hmmmm don't know if I could do that without collapsing. I think I will revisit this section on another day to see if it's as hard as it looked.

Ok, Watulans, now I'm really, really, confused since I just found the Brenda bio that Nathalie mentioned on Cathe's site from roughly 2009 where she says she has no children. Even if she had a child in 2010 after the bio was written, that would make her 11 this year and the Birthday Bash was done in 2017 and the person in BB looked young but not 7 years old!! Sooooo I'm thinking Cathe messed up and the person she introduced is her sister not her daughter? Or maybe her sister's daughter? Or the bio was really old although Brenda says she's 39 and I know that now she is somewhere in her early to mid fifties? Something doesn't add up.

FN3, I had to search to find the Live where Cathe actually introduces someone as Brenda's daughter because I thought I may have misheard what she said and the person is her sister. I heard it for myself that she says it's her daughter. It's roughly around minute 29-30 in Live #159 Birthday Bash where Cathe is circulating through the room. I will look for the person you mentioned in #82 to see if it's the same woman. Maybe Cathe was joking?

FN3, you definitely will hold your own with the Big Cats.

bee, so glad your flight plans seem to be coming together! I think you are right that SW tends to have shorter flights, but they've been adding on routes so I'm glad you found one. Even better that it's the same plane so no mad dashes through a strange airport! Watulan paws up!

Nathalie, good to see you! We don't do any of the Independence Day stuff either. We aren't much for crowds and we have been spoiled by the fireworks we've seen over the river in Pittsburgh which are hard to beat. The reflections in the water just look awesome.

Kim, don't you just love the summer fresh produce? We eat a ton of berries and melon. Oh, and the garden update. We are now getting flowers and as of today we saw our FIRST ACTUAL BEAN PODS! They are very tiny but definitely there! I'm so excited! So that's the good news! The bad news is that the tomatoes are pretty much a bust. Our weather, like everywhere else, has been crazy with temps and too much or too little rain. It looks like both plants have a fungus and we will get maybe 5 tomatoes combined from the two plants so per tomato the cost is probably comparable to Wagyu beef. Disappointed but the beans are amazing!!

Kate, we were posting at the same time the other day! I have the lower body smokin' workout on the rotation in Week 4. I'm actually mixed in my feelings about smokin' upper for the reasons mentioned by Nathalie and FN3. I wasn't really prepared for the kind of workout it was, but next time around I will be. It seems much more metabolic than I expected and quick changes between exercises that were tricky to get the first time.

FN1, love the cat zipper comment! Our ferals outside are shedding like crazy. When we pet them we get large clumps of hair! I know they are glad to be rid of it but yikes it's a cloud of fur! Hope your back is slowly but surely getting better. And doing Kat's step "stepless" was really great when I was recovering from my leg inflammation. Fun stuff!

FOLV, enjoy your "downscaled" workout week!

Waves to Garrie and horusosiris!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 07:32 PM  
Mickey12

Welcome Alta! It’s good to have you here. I have been very grateful for this fierce group of Watulan friends. They have kept me consistent, motivated, and supported. I hope you find that too. What type of workouts do you enjoy? One thing I like about posting here is reading what workouts everyone else is doing. It gives me ideas and reminds me of workouts I own but have not done in a while.

Soooo, no workout again today. I have been feeling tired and unmotivated. I know it will pass so I’m just waiting for that to happen.
Old 07-02-21, 09:45 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

So confusing with Brenda and the sister/daughter issue, hah hah hah!!! Well, hopefully that will get sorted out. I'm so curious!

Yesterday was Hair Max and also Sweat Max...it was 103 outside and I think I've mentioned before my little Fred Flintstone MINI's A/C is not up to snuff for that kind of heat with how it's designed. I had a bunch of errands to run and needless to say, I was soaked by the time I got home. Cold shower for me!

FN2, I hear you on tomatoes being finicky. We are now losing our less hardy plants left and right due to this relentless heat. Only the ice plants and other desert plants are doing great, of course. Yay on the beans!!!

Kim, I LOVE fresh produce like that, mmmmm!!!

Nathalie, what kind of portable A/C unit do you have? We have such different zones in our house and need something for the bedroom upstairs because it just gets so unbearably hot, even with central A/C.

FN3, I LOVE watching gymnastics and the Olympics stuff but am feeling clueless right now where you guys are watching...do share! I haven't seen anything on our local channels and am wondering if it's streaming somewhere.

Yes, VVfer, what kinds of workouts do you enjoy? I'm one of the injured Watulans right now and was planning on revisiting my Slim Series workouts when I'm able, which I'm hoping might be as early as Sunday. I'll have to see. I haven't done them in years but think they'll be a nice change from the usual Cathe fare I gravitate towards. Plus I'm kinda afraid to lift any weights right now let alone anything heavy!

Does anyone have plans for the 4th? Obviously with four cats and a dog, we certainly don't, but just wondered!!

Stay fierce, Watulans!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in