Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-21, 06:53 PM  
daisyduke

Which works better for you? Cardio or weights?

As I age, I’m trying to figure out what works for me!! Not much works anymore! So what works best for you? Steady stream cardio or weights!? Thank you in advance.
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-21, 07:10 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i get the best results from metabolic conditioning - kettlebells, cathe newer workouts that are cardio/weights at the same time, KCM that does cardio/weights at the same time. on top of that i have to do pilates reformer/chair and stretching every day.

i'm 57 post menopausal
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-21, 08:06 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Since my goal at this age (62) is to remain strong and flexible I do mostly weights and stretching. I get cardio from kickboxing (mostly Cathe) and walking. I suppose this is working for me. I can still get up off the floor with relative ease and can bring in the 40lb bags of salt for the water softener.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-21, 08:23 PM  
rhbrand

Weights. I build more muscle, and I burn more calories and quite frankly, I look better too.
Old 04-25-21, 08:52 PM  
Gams

I think you need both.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-21, 09:15 PM  
fanofladyvols

daisyduke what is it you want to work that isn't?

When I use that phrase I usually mean, what helps me be stronger, move better, and feel better.

So if that's what you mean, then what works best for me is a variety! So currently what I do: kettlebells, strength workouts that blend in bodyweight exercises, athletic training, kickboxing, mobility workouts, some CS and a little pilates and yoga thrown in.

I'm post meno for several years now and I released myself from the burden of aesthetic goals. It's quite freeing

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-21, 09:33 PM  
alisoncooks

I've never done enough cardio to know if it works for me.

Quite honestly, I've been regularly working out for a while with no results. I slightly changed my eating habits two weeks ago and I've lost 5 pounds. Dead serious.

So...you do the math.

That said, I would rather do weights over cardio, any day of the week. I try to add walking and stretching to my week, though, because it's good for me. (Except right now I have raging plantar fasciitis and have cut out the walking completely...)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-21, 09:36 PM  
Leonana

Weights for my workouts. They tend to have a cardio effect, at least the more advanced ones. But I also like to be active during the day, walking and getting steps in. The more active I am in the day, the easier it is to see results.
Old 04-25-21, 10:54 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love cardio & light weight/high rep workouts. I’m not into building big muscles, prefer a lean toned look. I have joint issues & lifting heavy doesn’t work for me, just leaves me feeling stiff & sore.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 05:00 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I prefer weights and Pilates so that's what I do. I should do more cardio, but have a history of foot problems and plantar faciitis that prevent me from really getting into cardio.

I used to swim a lot, but covid ended that. I may try again when the weather gets warmer.

Tags
cardio vs weights, metabolic training, steady state results, weights only, weights vs cardio