Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-19, 06:44 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post
This can be said about Barre3 instructors as well! They all sound like Sadie Lincoln.
Definitely! Several years ago they would all (including Sadie) make the same grammatical mistake at the beginning of the workout: “Join (insert background exercisers’ names) and I...”. It drove me nuts.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 06:55 PM  
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I think this used to be more true. I think there is more variety in instructors now. But some do use the same phraseology, if that’s what you mean. Especially in the comments (I used to read some of them to choose workouts but the comments and instructor responses all say exactly the same things every time so it is hard to figure out the subtleties between them, which feel more challenging or don’t have so much breath work at the end, etc.).
I do find barmethod instructors even more homogeneous in instruction and comments than barre3, for whatever reason.

Music was asked about: barre3 is sometimes okay but sometimes blah and they tend to repeat songs a lot. From what I remember, so did barmethod. Leah Sarago rarely has music, sometimes a background beat.
It's more how they always sound so breathy and sometimes end their statements like it's a question. LOL!
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 07:03 PM  
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
Definitely! Several years ago they would all (including Sadie) make the same grammatical mistake at the beginning of the workout: “Join (insert background exercisers’ names) and I...”. It drove me nuts.
The misuse of "I" is one of my biggest pet peeve. It's misused all the time on reality shows.
Old 09-24-19, 07:09 PM  
sillygirl

You've already received a lot of good recommendations. Do you prefer barre workouts that include tucking or working in neutral spine?
Old 09-24-19, 07:21 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post
You've already received a lot of good recommendations. Do you prefer barre workouts that include tucking or working in neutral spine?

Good point!

Suzanne Bowen uses neutral spine for the most part. I think Barre3 uses neutral spine. Bar Method uses a tucked position.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-19, 08:40 PM  
sillygirl

I just watched Barre Sport by Adrienne Kimberley on ALO Moves (https://www.alomoves.com/series/barre-sport). Her style reminds me of Leah Sarago's Iron Barre method. Looks like Adrienne puts an athletic twist to her barre workouts. If you enjoy her style and instruction then maybe you should continue to stream her workouts. Otherwise, as a fellow vidiot and enabler, I say you take advantage of as many free trials as you can. You may like a method but not the instructor's style (voice, background, music, grammar, etc. ). Either way, it's fun to try them all out to see who you really click with!
Old 09-25-19, 06:38 AM  
daisyduke

Thank you all so much. I don’t even know about the tuck. Adrienne did not do a tuck in the one I did.
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-19, 11:14 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Oh my good grief, I just wrote an epistle about barre streaming that I could have put on my blog if I were still writing on my blog and I just lost it! SOB!

I don't have time to re-write, but the long and the short of it is--as others have said--much of it is highly individual and you kind of have to find whose style you like. I agree with others to just swing from tree to tree on free trials and see what clicks!

Ones I like are:

Barre3
Ballet Physique
Physique 57

Ones I didn't really like:

Suzanne Bowen
Hilliard Studio Method
Bar Method

I can elaborate if anyone is interested. I've tried almost all (except Pure Barre). Some methods I like in-studio, but not so much the streaming. Some I like streaming, but not as much in-studio. Some are doing the streaming thing well, and others not so much, IMO.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre streaming