Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-24, 01:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Cookbook review: Will It Skillet? by Daniel Shumski

links:

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/30754068

https://www.amazon.com/Will-Skillet-.../dp/076118743X

I found out about this author from an earlier book he wrote called "Will It Waffle" which was the result of his online blog about using your waffle iron to cook other things besides waffles - that one is a good book too - I'll review it at some point and post.

this book covers recipes that you cook in a cast-iron skillet that is completely iron, including the handle. a skillet with a wooden covering over the handle will not do.

I had assumed that the recipes implied that you could cook the recipe on the stove in a skillet. my assumption was somewhat correct. the recipe i wanted to try was the chocolate chip cookie recipe. many of the "baking" type recipes such as pies and desserts, have you using the skillet like a baking pan... in the oven. this was a surprise, but you can easily adapt the recipe with very little modifications.

I don't own a cast iron skillet, and I wanted to try the recipe. I followed the recipe and used a ceramic pie "pan" instead, and the result was awesome!!

I will be trying the bread pudding one next.

I borrowed the book from the library, by the way.

Conclusion:
thumbs up so far!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cookbook